mtbr member
    Jan 2014

From the UK - Staying in Colorado (Leadville & Breck Epic 2014)

I'm planning a trip this summer to Colorado, hoping to do Leadville and Breck Epic the following week. Staying for 2 weeks with the view to do some high altitude rides.

The trip is pretty expensive, as I'm from the UK - flights, car hire etc...

Does anyone know of any reasonably affordable accommodation in upper Colorado (no longer than 45 mins drive from either Leadville or Breckenridge), or if anyone is happy to share/split cost of accommodation and if there are any local rides in the area?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    To stay within the 45 minute time limit your choices are places in the Breck/Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne area or Leadville.

I have not stayed in Breck or Leadville for a couple years but Leadville likely has cheaper hotel/motel costs than anything in the Breck area. 2 years ago I felt lucky to find a room in Dillon (15m minutes from Breck) for $105/night (Best Western in Dillon). If you book multiple nights always ask for a reduced rate.

As for rides there are plenty you can search Breckenridge and find several threads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Check VRBO-Breckenridge, might find a deal there. If you get a place in Breckenridge, the drive up to Leadville would be short, but you are not likely to find a place that is 45 min from both, or either. Mountain towns in Colorado are not that close together.

Vacation Rentals By Owner- VRBO

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    PS, "reasonable" and "affordable" will be hard to find in any Colorado resort town.

good Luck racing!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    See if you can get a rental in Alma or Fairplay. Both towns are not far from Breckenridge and a lot cheaper. Also try Great Western Lodging. The manager is a MTB racer and might have insight on better deals in Summit county.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    There is (used to be?) a hostel in Breckenridge. I think bunk room bed was kind of cheap-ish.
    Google seems to indicate there may be one is Leadville as well.

Tribe Member
    You might also look to rent a condo at Copper Mountain. That is close to both Leadville and Breck. The VRBO thing might also be good.
    Expect to pay around $100.00 a night. But with the exchange rate that is only 60 pounds.
    There is great riding at both places if you dont get into either race. Just remember to drink a lot of water, then beer post ride.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatone View Post
    I'm planning a trip this summer to Colorado, hoping to do Leadville and Breck Epic the following week. Staying for 2 weeks with the view to do some high altitude rides.

The trip is pretty expensive, as I'm from the UK - flights, car hire etc...

Does anyone know of any reasonably affordable accommodation in upper Colorado (no longer than 45 mins drive from either Leadville or Breckenridge), or if anyone is happy to share/split cost of accommodation and if there are any local rides in the area?

Thanks
    When you say "hoping to do Leadville and Breck Epic", do you mean that you have Leadville and Breck Epic entries already accepted?

I say this because you may not know, you can't just walk up and enter for either of these races. I know less about the Epic, but I know that people spend years trying to get into Leadville. They charge you just to enter a lottery. Your chances if you are in the lottery are less than 1 in 10. And if you haven't entered it yet, might be too late.

All that said, I think that Salida is the best bargain for lodgings for racing Leadville. It's way cheaper here than Summit County (eg Breckenridge), and it's a nice straight easy highway drive from Salida to Leadville. It's about the same drive time as from Breck, just easier (no passes to cross).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I hear the Super 8 in Leadville is reasonably priced. Not luxury lodgings, but a place to sleep and shower. Never been so I can't personally recommend.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I stayed at the hostel in Breck in summer of 2012 and it was clean, well taken care of and reasonably priced (I think it was about $30 or $35/night) and they let me store the bike in their garage (bikes not allowed in the hostel). Don't know if it still there, though it has been around for a quite a number of years so would be surprised if it wasn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks guys. Very useful responses. I'll check out the suggestions.

With regards to Leadville 100 entry I'm aware of the difficulty of getting in but hopeful. Given I need to plan well in advance I just wish Leadville would conclude the outcome of the lottery earlier than 1st week of March.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Look on the bright side - if you have any trouble getting into either event... there is WORLD CLASS trail riding right there. And you won't have to share it with thousands of racer-types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Look on the bright side - if you have any trouble getting into either event... there is WORLD CLASS trail riding right there. And you won't have to share it with thousands of racer-types.
    Doesn't happen often but I agree with Bacon Boy

If you don't get in post up here.....there are many board regulars that can and will take you out on epic suffer fests that will blow the Leadville course away.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    When you say "hoping to do Leadville and Breck Epic", do you mean that you have Leadville and Breck Epic entries already accepted?

I say this because you may not know, you can't just walk up and enter for either of these races. I know less about the Epic, but I know that people spend years trying to get into Leadville. They charge you just to enter a lottery. Your chances if you are in the lottery are less than 1 in 10. And if you haven't entered it yet, might be too late.

All that said, I think that Salida is the best bargain for lodgings for racing Leadville. It's way cheaper here than Summit County (eg Breckenridge), and it's a nice straight easy highway drive from Salida to Leadville. It's about the same drive time as from Breck, just easier (no passes to cross).
    he Breck Epic is fairly easy to get into. It sold out last year but only a couple weeks before the event.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Doesn't happen often but I agree with Bacon Boy
    With age comes wisdom... you'll find yourself agreeing with me more and more as you get older.

If you don't get in post up here.....there are many board regulars that can and will take you out on epic suffer fests that will blow the Leadville course away.
    Not to mention a lot of epic rides that don't need to contain much suffering. $hit is just *that* good up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Some friends of mine stayed at the Hostel in Frisco and lived...LOL It's been a few years tho.

Lots of Ntl Forest land up around Breck that you're allowed to camp for up to 14 days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    I hear the Super 8 in Leadville is reasonably priced. Not luxury lodgings, but a place to sleep and shower. Never been so I can't personally recommend.
    The Mtnview is even cheaper but if you're looking for a dry bed and a hot shower it's not a bad place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you looked into renting an RV? Not sure what it would cost compared to renting a car and hotels, but you could park it pretty close to everywhere you want to be. Stock the fridge with food a beer and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hi saw your post I vacation in US annually for biking in August for 3 weeks travelling from Northern Ireland. I done the breck epic in 2012 and 2013 and also some local summit county races in frisco keystone. If your doing the Breck you want to be based in breckenridge as the daily start is 7.30 aid bag drop 8.30 your rolling. staying in copper etc would be a royal PIA with a daily commute. I typically stay in highland greens on tiger road (been renting from the same owner winter and summer so have agreed sweet deals regardless of season. summer in Breck the avg rental cost is lower I'd recommend the site vrbo plenty to choose from there and owners will talk if you want a 2 week rental as it's typically a quiter season.

From the UK everything is high altitude Breck sits at 9k feet and change. I live at 274ft do not under estimate the alt has on riding. At the Breck epic the event is from 9k to 12.6k ft air is pretty thin. I am never full acclimated after 3 weeks. So travel 1 week in advance. Buy a trail map at local bike shop. There's a ton of riding peaks trail, dredge CT , test your game at keystone scramble usually around the 8th August it's an evening event with free finisher beer. then buckle up for the race.

The Breck epic is an awesome experience very well run by mike McCormack and his team, aid station people are just incredible great atmosphere and you'll meet great people and have some awesome beers. The course is not super technical but you need to be fit with super long climbs great single track and descents stand outs for me stage 2 colorado trail, stage 3 Georgia pass overall great must do event in a stunning part of the world . You will need to bring a chisel to remove the grin from your face

Have a blast

mtbr member
    What he said ^ about the altitude is serious- also try airbnb.com instead of a hotel, you can rent someone's spare bedroom for almost nothing compared to a hotel and you'll probably be around more local folks who can show you around. Also a word of warning: the ratio of men to women in those towns is not in your favor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Another thought would be to volunteer for the Brek Epic for a couple of days and enter the 3 day B'Epic. I bet MikeMac would save you some cash on entry for a few days working, and you could see all the courses, race a few days, and used the saved money for Accomidations.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    I had some friends stay at this place for the Silver Rush 50 a few years ago, and while yes, it's right across the street from the start…it's by no means worth it. The place is a complete dump, and smells like an old barn.

Agree with the others, give VRBO a shot. We've found decent places up with way using this service.

mtbr member
    Don't bother looking for a hotel rm in Leadville. They are sold out a year in advance during trail 100 weekend. Try hotels in Buena Vista, silverthorne, Copper Mtn, or Frisco. The drive isn't too bad at 4 in the morning. Another place to check out is the Trail 100 Yahoo groups or Craigslist for that weekend. You could always camp out, we have 78 % public land in Lake County.