View Poll Results: What tyre combo for FR?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • WTB Weirwolf 2.55"LT

5 23.81%
  • Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25"

3 14.29%
  • Maxxis CrossMark 2.1"

4 19.05%
  • Maxxis Ignitor 2.1"

1 4.76%
  • Conti Mtn King 2.4"

4 19.05%
  • None of them buy when you get here

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    MTB B'dos

New question here. Tyre choice for FR, from current selection

So if you were going to be in Ft.Collins for 3 weeks and these tyres to chose from which would you bring/take there with you. Will be brining my RIP9 29er. Trails I will definitely be riding........ Horsetooth Mtn & Lory Park, BlueSky, Coyote, Devils, Indian Summer.

Was thinking of only taking 2 with me and purchasing some Rampages there, so thinking more XC tyres to take there for more epic rides. Thinking the Rampages would have a good weight to grip ratio and offer a more Trail/AM tyre for the rougher stuff. My personal thinking is the CrossMark REAR and Racing Ralph FRONT, last year I ran CrossMark REAR/Ignitor FRONT and was quite happy.

What I currently own.........
    1 - Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" (new)
    1 - WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT (new)
    1 - Maxxis CrossMark 2.1" (new)
    2 - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1" (used)
    1 - Conti Mtn King 2.4" (slightly used)

Thanks to any and all who take the time to help out

slow
    I have a friend that rides CrossMarks on his 26er Moots pretty much full time here in FC.

I run whatever is on sale. That currently happens to be WTB Raptors on the Trance, and old School Panaracer Smokes 2.1 on the Moots. They get me where I'm going.

Maybe we can ride together on this trip.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    :
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Rampage front and rear...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    :
    Yup. I run the round type of tire, it's always worked for me.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Your retarded
    You'll be riding these trails for the first time anyway, right? Your tires won't be your limiting factor in that case, your lack of knowledge of what lies ahead on the trail will be. Just pick your favorite tires and rock those.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Moderator Moderator
    Are you using tubes, or did you get stans rims yet?
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

MTB B'dos

Hope

Thanks for the feedback so far (especially those helpful ones I'll see if any of the oens I have are round)

Not completely, I only got the rear, rim for the front had a nasty flat spot so will get it when I get up I guess. As for tubes vs No Tubes, I'm not sure. Was thinking of mainly running a XCish type tyre setup Xmark R/Ignitor or RR F and then having a "heavier duty" set like rampages for if/when I get out for anything more than what I listed where there's some fats DHs etc. so not sure I'd want to be messing around with sealant.
    BTW, how's the CB doing?

Not sure how the RR will hold up on the FR, have read alot of people biatching about tearing sidewalls but I also heard that about the Ignitors and haven't had any trouble with mine in over a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Are you using tubes, or did you get stans rims yet?

Nope, rode here/there last year and had a blast, but yeah don't know the trails very well. Only trail I've riden twice is DBB and BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    You'll be riding these trails for the first time anyway, right? Your tires won't be your limiting factor in that case, your lack of knowledge of what lies ahead on the trail will be. Just pick your favorite tires and rock those.

Yup, I'm game to ride any trails within riding distance of the S.end of the Fort. Really enjoyed riding out CR38E down BS to DBB and back and looking to add going into Htooth & Lorry to extend this ride. Fitness isn't as good as last year, but still hoping to have enough to enjoy myself and get in a few 30-50 milers and maybe a 50-70 miler.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Maybe we can ride together on this trip.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-01-2008 at 03:44 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    I like the ignitors(2.35 ust) but you might need slime up in FTC. I don't have a goat head issue up in the mountains.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yup, I'm game to ride any trails within riding distance of the S.end of the Fort. Really enjoyed riding out CR38E down BS to DBB and back and looking to add going into Htooth & Lorry to extend this ride. Fitness isn't as good as last year, but still hoping to have enough to enjoy myself and get in a few 30-50 milers and maybe a 50-70 miler.
    Plan on trying Bobcat Ridge this trip, as well.

ride
    Trying to be productive, and noting that although there are a ton of which tire threads, 29er tire selection is rather limited. That said, from my experience, the Ignitor 2.1 is a good all arounder, but you may be wanting more tire in the front. It's really loose out here right now and volume is a good thing for that .

The Racing Ralph is still pretty skinny, even at 2.25. When you're out here, you'd do well to pick up either the 2.35 Rampage or the 2.25 Nevegal. The tread pattern is really similar and I've found that they hook up equally as well. Another combo that'll work well is that Ignitor in the rear and something bigger in the front, like a Rampage or your Conti.

edit to add: I've had some sidewall issues with the Ignitors out here, too. Seems like really jagged/sharp rocks can get to them after a lot of riding. Don't know that you'll have any issues if you're only riding here for 3 weeks, though.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Leave the Schwalbe and the Conti at home. They seem to shed the knobbies on the rocks here pretty fast.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

+1

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I like the ignitors(2.35 ust) but you might need slime up in FTC. I don't have a goat head issue up in the mountains.
    That's what I roll, and a tire (tyre) sealant is essential to run tubeless on the lower trails around Ft. Collins. Lory to Bluesky, the Foothills trail, Ft Collins "urban" ST to get to the hills are all heavily infested w/ goatheads. Move up a 1000' or so to the upper trails and you're fine.

W/O a sealant of some kind, I'd be flat by my second ride here. Dam Goatheads

Other than that, a big, fat, round tire(tyre) works just fine. They're all the same.

skillz to pay billz
    probably better off with tubeless and slime than tubes I would imagine for the goatheads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Crossmarks are great in the FR unless there is sand like on Belcher Hill. Then you need something different like a Hutch Spider or whatever.

MTB B'dos
    Thanks again for the feedback, info like it's really lose out here says a bit to me from last years experience - first time up last year on Nanos and noticed right away they don't work on the FR as a front tyre.

Sgltrk, can you figure out where Bobcat is on Google Earth and do a placemark? I know it's somewhere around Masonville and I can connect over somewhere just after the Coyote Ridge part of Blue Sky, but can't seem to "see it" on either Google Earth or Maps.

Was thinking that once I'd been there for a week or two that I might give riding down from the Fort to Lyons a try and hit up Hall Ranch - I really enjoyed it's terrain last year, like the slow tech, boulder type climbing it provides - Am I crazy, is it worth it? It would be about 23 miles one way as I calculate it on GE. Is there somewhere to hang for the day and get some decent Lunch etc if I did chose to do it? So say I could ride down in the morning, hit up Hall and then chill and ride back to the Fort in the afternoon when it's cooled a bit and I've recovered some.

Attached an image of the general area if anyone cares to put a dot or X where Bob Cat Trails is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-02-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: to add image

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Definitely not Racing Ralphs! RR cornering traction is so bad it's scary. Rampage traction is awe inspiring. Great traction low weight lowish rolling resistance = Bonty XR 2.2 frt. Crossmark = slightly less traction, weight and rolling resistance compared to Bonty. Hot setup = Rampage in the front and Bonty XR 2.2 frt in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I admittedly don't have nearly as much experience as most of the people around here, but I live in Fort Collins and I've been running a Weirwolf LT front and a Nevegal rear and I've been really happy with the combination. Come to think of it I've been happy with that Weirwolf no matter where I've ridden. It seems to hook up really well on most dry or at least semi-dry surfaces. I also like the big cushion and contact patch it provides.

I'll also second (or third or whatever..) the need to try out Bobcat Ridge. It's really a great trail. Depending on which way you go, the Powerline Road is not exactly what I'd call fun, but coming down Ginny is great. Good luck with your decision, and no matter which one you choose, just make sure you get out there and have some fun since that's what we're all here for anyway right?

skillz to pay billz
    hall ranch: def worth a trip and you can eat lunch at oscar blues. Hang out at redstone cyclery with ignazir then around 8-9pm when it gets cool you can ride back to the fort.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Another combo that'll work well is that Ignitor in the rear and something bigger in the front, like a Rampage or your Conti.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    edit to add: I've had some sidewall issues with the Ignitors out here, too. Seems like really jagged/sharp rocks can get to them after a lot of riding. Don't know that you'll have any issues if you're only riding here for 3 weeks, though.
    I haven't had any sidewall issues with the ignitors. In fact the one I'm running now is almost a slick. PM when you get here. I've ridden most of the trails around here--maybe we can do something that you might want to drive to...

MTB B'dos

Wink No worries...............

.................on the heat thing You guys have it sweet up there The temps you're having now are normal for us here, along with 70%+ humidity. I can clearly remember when I visited last year and Larry told me it was hot and humid I nearly fell over laughing - it felt absolutely cool with no humidity to me Figure I'd definitely have to have a good XC type tyre combo for all that road - Nano R/Ignitor F worked pretty well last year.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    hall ranch: def worth a trip and you can eat lunch at oscar blues. Hang out at redstone cyclery with ignazir then around 8-9pm when it gets cool you can ride back to the fort.
    Definitely up for riding most any time, want to try to ride at least 5 days a week and try and get the fitness back up to where it should be. Also for the fun factor and getting as much of "your" super sweet trails.

Forgot I also have a Nevegal 2.2" but absolutely hate it as a front tyre down here, which contrasts to when I ran them in the 26" version and absolutely loved them front & rear Maybe I'll bring that up as well as the WW LT and call that a day Although I would like to try a Rampage with all I've read about them.

Quote Originally Posted by jl
    I haven't had any sidewall issues with the ignitors. In fact the one I'm running now is almost a slick. PM when you get here. I've ridden most of the trails around here--maybe we can do something that you might want to drive to...

slow
    LyNx,
    I have modified the image to show the approximate location of the Bobcat parking area. Ginny trail is up the hill to the west.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsagen
    I admittedly don't have nearly as much experience as most of the people around here, but I live in Fort Collins and I've been running a Weirwolf LT front and a Nevegal rear and I've been really happy with the combination. Come to think of it I've been happy with that Weirwolf no matter where I've ridden. It seems to hook up really well on most dry or at least semi-dry surfaces. I also like the big cushion and contact patch it provides.

Yup, the Weirwolf is a great front tire. In fact I still think the Nano is one of the best tires but I was riding that for a couple years when it was the only 29er tire. I think the key though for both is running them tubeless at 25-30 psi.
    currently..
    My SS has Weirwolf front/Nano rear.
    Air9 Nano front/rear
    RIP9 Panaracer Rampage front/rear
    Jet9 Schwalbe 2.4" front/2.25 rear (with tubes, can't get them to stans on crossmax wheels)

If you still have that Ignitor I sold you last year, put that on the rear and get a 2.35 Rampage when you get here. It's a good one to have in the lineup.

My collarbone is healing, thanks for asking. The crappy thing is I'm going to Bigfork, Montana on Thursday for 2 weeks and won't be bringing my bikes or golf clubs. It sucks, the riding is as epic if not more so than here. There is a lake the size of Lake Tahoe (if not bigger) you can ride around which is one of the prettiest road rides I've ever been on. But hey...you gotta take one for the team I guess...

Let me know when you come out and if you wanna ride the Jet9. Shoot me an email, I should be back on the 22nd.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

MTB B'dos

Good job! Thanks............

........that's perfect once you gave the general area it was easy to find the parkinglot for it on GE

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    LyNx,
    I have modified the image to show the approximate location of the Bobcat parking area. Ginny trail is up the hill to the west.
    For sure I want to swing aleg over that JET9, even if it is a size to small. Yeah I haven't managed to totally kill those Ignitors I got from you last year, was actually running both F & R and really digging them - they are a bit worn though. Since I will have the Flows, once I settle on a tyre combo I may give tubeless a shot.

So from the feedback it looks like I will possibly bring Ignitor, WW LT, RR and Xmark and purchase a Rampage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Melow
    Yup, the Weirwolf is a great front tire. In fact I still think the Nano is one of the best tires but I was riding that for a couple years when it was the only 29er tire. I think the key though for both is running them tubeless at 25-30 psi............................................... .............Let me know when you come out and if you wanna ride the Jet9. Shoot me an email, I should be back on the 22nd.

Brett