mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Is this typical...

Just moved here from the southeast. Is this cloudy weather typical for Denver? I had always heard statistics about Denver weather like 300 days a year of sunshine, very uncommon for it to be cloudy two days in a row, etc. So where is the sun? Have I brought the crappy weather from the south with me?
    Last edited by trentpaulk; 05-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Rolling
    Spring is the wettest season on the front range. Statistically it's March. But it can be anytime in the spring. Be happy, because usually June and July are super dry and hot. And if it's bad, fire bans take affect.

I recall 1995 May had a total of three rain-free days. I just moved here after turning down a job in Seattle.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Better late than never this year... and better wet, green and growing than burning.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's no such thing as typical in Colorado. Typical is the weather is all over the place.

One thing I have noticed over the last few years though is a pattern will get entrenched for a month or whatever then like a light has been switched it will change and the next entrenched pattern takes over. When it's hot and dry and the air is full of smoke from fires, you'll be looking at the cloudy, damp weather with nostalgia.

Rigid in Evergreen
    We'll be complaining about it being too hot and dry in no time... oh wait, that was last week

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    There's no such thing as typical in Colorado. Typical is the weather is all over the place.

One thing I have noticed over the last few years though is a pattern will get entrenched for a month or whatever then like a light has been switched it will change and the next entrenched pattern takes over. When it's hot and dry and the air is full of smoke from fires, you'll be looking at the cloudy, damp weather with nostalgia.
    The Old Man speaks the truth.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by trentpaulk
    Is this cloudy weather typical for Denver?
    Yes, whenever the monsoons, blizzards, tornadoes, or volcanoes aren't in effect. The weather in Denver is apocalyptically bad. You should move back.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's always fun to sit out on the top of Green Mountain when the weather is looking a bit sketchy. I see little funnel clouds forming all the time from up there. I hope they never touch ground...but they're awesome to see forming.

Give it a month or two and I'm sure you'll spot some this summer too....and get hailed on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Back in the old days...

The last two weeks of May were "monsoon", steady rain, worms coming up out of the saturated soil so they could breath. When I was a kid we used to collect them by the bucketfull.

One spring I was doing a remodel on a house in NW Denver. I got the roof dried in the day before it started raining. It rained non-stop for about three months (just like the good old days). Boulder got 14 inches in May. Every possible water course was running.

Other years it never snowed all winter, it never rained all spring or summer. All of the above is "typical".

What's "typical" back in the southeast where you're from?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy

What's "typical" back in the southeast where you're from?
    I'll take a stab:

Miserably hot and humid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'll take a stab:

Miserably hot and humid.

Hahaha. I asked a friend what winters were like back in Connecticut and he said "gray and grim".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Hahaha. I asked a friend what winters were like back in Connecticut and he said "gray and grim".
    Being from NY, I'll second that about NE winters. But, that's why beer was invented. Then the bike was invented to get rid of the beer belly.

I for one am glad for the moisture...rode Walker 2 weekends ago and thought that I had time-warped to August. Dry as #@$%. Not ready for that weather yet. Am jones-in for a ride but am glad it will be green for a bit...bring on the rain!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just moved here from the southeast. Is this cloudy weather typical for Denver? I had always heard statistics about Denver weather like 300 days a year of sunshine, very uncommon for it to be cloudy two days in a row, etc. So where is the sun? Have I brought the crappy weather from the south with me?
    I too moved here from the South East in 2006, and I too wondered the same thing. Here's what I've come up with; that stat is misleading (I'm being kind). I've determined that if the sun shines at all that day, then that "counts" as one of the 300 days.

At first I was bitter, but since then I've had large amounts of the kool aid.

And for those of you asking what the weather is like in the SE; well by early March you practically drink the oxygen rather than breathe it, and its hot and sticky by 7 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt
    I too moved here from the South East in 2006, and I too wondered the same thing. Here's what I've come up with; that stat is misleading (I'm being kind). I've determined that if the sun shines at all that day, then that "counts" as one of the 300 days.

At first I was bitter, but since then I've had large amounts of the kool aid.

And for those of you asking what the weather is like in the SE; well by early March you practically drink the oxygen rather than breathe it, and its hot and sticky by 7 AM.
    It was really hot (for June) here one summer. I "complained" about the heat to a buddy. He was just in from North Carolina. He looked at me and said "you have no idea".

Free your heel...
    Spring and fall suck, it should go from bike season to ski season and back without delay.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    OP, where are you from in the Southeast? I just moved here from Texas, but I'm originally from Alabama. Just got a new bike and I'm ready to roll, but all I'm getting is rain. I anticipate a much better summer than Texas though. Riding season is soon to be done there unless you like riding in 110 degree heat + humidity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am from Birmingham, AL. As for the weather in the Southeast...we have four seasons. Hot, Hot like fire raining from the seventh ring of hades, Hot, and really cold. I have a friend from Phoenix, Az who now lives in bama. He says he's never been anywhere that is hotter in the summer or colder in the winter than Alabama. Obviously he's not been to a lot of differnet places, but you still get the point. I think the exceptions for the heat are Florida and Texas. We have maybe two weeks of somewhat pleasant weather in the late winter/early spring and maybe two-four weeks in the mid fall. It's not uncommon for it to be 95+ every day during July/August. Just know that it's not the actual temperature, it's the humidity that amplifies the effect of the temperature. 40F in bama can feel as cold as 20F here in Co. I felt both first hand. While 80-85F here feels more like lower 70s back in bama. As for the cold, we have gotten up to six inches of snow as late as April and as far south as Montgomery, Al. This past year, we had an ice storm, shut the whole dang city down...a million people running to the grocery to get bread and milk. Talk about a SNAFU. During the ice storm I saw one of my neighbors come down my street (a downhill) on his snowboard, linking turns all the way until he went out of sight. Snowboarding in bama...who'd have thunk it. Additionally we get tons of rain. It's not to uncommon for the southeast to get a steady soaking rain, non-stop, for two weeks straight. Least I not forget to mention the tornados and hurricanes. Only the big ones make the news, but tornados are all too frequent in the South. So, generally speaking the weather in bama sucks. That is one of the big reason why I picked Denver as my new home. Hopefully you can now understand my disapointment to the current local weather. I was hoping for lots of sunshine. I have no need to set a fire, so fire bans don't bother me. Of course I don't want to see any large scale wild fires, but I don't think we're going to see that for a while. I'm sure the sun will come out again and when it does it will be happy trails.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Things are supposed to warm up dramatically on Saturday

Pivot Rider

ahhhha!

I am from Birmingham, AL. ..... So, generally speaking the weather in bama sucks. That is one of the big reason why I picked Denver as my new home. Hopefully you can now understand my disapointment to the current local weather. I was hoping for lots of sunshine. I have no need to set a fire, so fire bans don't bother me. Of course I don't want to see any large scale wild fires, but I don't think we're going to see that for a while. I'm sure the sun will come out again and when it does it will be happy trails.
    So this is why we are getting all the wet stuff -- you brought it with you! You can kindly send it back to 'bama now.....I've had enough gray, wet and cold to last me til it gets super hot around here! Thanks for getting us out of the drought, however! Within 2 weeks we are above moisture levels for this time of year!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As far as being out of fire danger, you'll learn that we can go from saturation to wild fire in VERY little time. Never underestimate high elevation sun and 4% humidity. Bama humidity doesn't allow for rapid drying, not the case out here. You will soon experience dry on a scale you've never known. I moved here from Asheville, NC and the dry cracked my skin and parched my throat for the first month. You can add dizziness and headaches but that's because I'm at 8k. I'm sure denver wouldn't have done that to me considering it's the same elevation as Beach Mountain NC. I would say be thankful for the wet because it's making your transition easier.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    As far as being out of fire danger, you'll learn that we can go from saturation to wild fire in VERY little time. Never underestimate high elevation sun and 4% humidity. Bama humidity doesn't allow for rapid drying, not the case out here.
    Not only that but a good moisture event like we've had for the last few weeks will result in some REALLY nice fuel on the ground later in the summer. This moisture came at a perfect time to grow lots of stuff.

Stiff yet compliant
    What is that bright thing up in the sky? It hurts my eyes when I look at it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    What is that bright thing up in the sky? It hurts my eyes when I look at it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot
    Spring and fall suck, it should go from bike season to ski season and back without delay.
    Are we voting? Because I'm a "Yay".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You need to change your avytard tho this pic!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮