mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Type of riding (bike) in Colo. Springs?

Hello...

My nephew is going to move to Colorado Springs soon to go to the AFA. He is just getting into MTBing and we are planning to get him a bike that he can ride in the area.

I am from So. California (LA area) and the majority of people here ride a 4" travel FS XC/trail bike (e.g., stumpjumper, blur xc, etc). Most rides require climbing and you have to look hard for large drops...

What is the typical type of ride in Colo. Springs and the 'standard' bike set-up. He is young and has been a motocorss guy for years, so if there is a large crowd of free-ride/DH folks, he would probably gravitate that way...

Thanks in advance for advice.

n00b eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by LCFrecrider
    Hello...

My nephew is going to move to Colorado Springs soon to go to the AFA. He is just getting into MTBing and we are planning to get him a bike that he can ride in the area.

I am from So. California (LA area) and the majority of people here ride a 4" travel FS XC/trail bike (e.g., stumpjumper, blur xc, etc). Most rides require climbing and you have to look hard for large drops...

What is the typical type of ride in Colo. Springs and the 'standard' bike set-up. He is young and has been a motocorss guy for years, so if there is a large crowd of free-ride/DH folks, he would probably gravitate that way...

Thanks in advance for advice.
    Probably a more free-ride/DH bike... but I have no idea what the AFA guys ride. They have XC trails all over the academy (Falcon trail, etc). There are more mellow trails, including just slow techy XC in Palmer Park. But there are also awesome places to do the FR/DH thing: a new bike park at Dragon Man's, an upcoming FR (stunts) trail in Red Rock Canyon park, Pipeline, Jones DH, blah blah blah.

I bet something like an Enduro SX trail would help him ride a little of everything, with a nod towards the more aggresive style. (Bearclaw rides one).

Any one else want to chime in?

non-gumbyish
    Nov 2005
    I live in Colorado Springs and have a Giant Reign 3 that has 6" of rear travel and 5" of front travel. I can ride technical singletrack climbs one day and bomb ski resort downhills the next. This bike can do almost any type of riding your body can handle. For around $1800 this bike will easily do whatever he wants.

mtbr member

I also have a Reign 3

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor05
    I live in Colorado Springs and have a Giant Reign 3 that has 6" of rear travel and 5" of front travel. I can ride technical singletrack climbs one day and bomb ski resort downhills the next. This bike can do almost any type of riding your body can handle. For around $1800 this bike will easily do whatever he wants.
    I moved here year ago and only had a hardtail... So let me say you can ride any kind of bike here and have fun. But this spring I picked up 2005 model Reign and I am loving it. I prefer XC type riding so I don't shy away from climbing and like having it on my rides but a$$end travel makes it a lot better coming down hill. From the sound of the typical SoCal set up the 4 inch travel will work fine and for my riding style it actually may be a little more suited than 6". I just went with a good deal.

For reiteration sake... any kind will work fine. There is some great riding.

I think I can.

Afa

I live across the street from the Academy and will agree with the prior comment that any bike will suffice. You may want to check to see what kind of storage he will have access to and how much time he will be allowed off base in the first two years, I hear they are very tight with there plebes. The trails on the post are goat trails, all single track with lots of climbing which for him can resort to accessing rampart reservoir and many cool places up in the mountains. There are ton's of bomber trails he can ride but I heard for the first two years they are not allowed to have a car so shuttle could be out of the question, I can tell you he will have a blast and the bike community here is the best in the country, I moved here 5 years ago from So. Cal. as well and have never looked back.
    Best of luck.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah, you get all types here and there is plenty of terrain choices to ride what you want, gotta love the Springs!

I would suggest a 5" trail bike maybe, something durable that pedals decent, since he's just getting into it then he could decide which way he wants to go from there as far as what kind of riding he likes best. I ride with guys who race XC and ride 4" FS bikes and I ride with guys who have full blown FR or DH rigs, there is enough different terrain here to warrant both types, as well as some great road riding too.

SS Chimp

for variety....

i would suggest a steel hard tail with 1 gear and 100mm of travel in the front.
    all single...all the time

Cynical Bystander
    Ultimately I'd say it comes down to what your nephew wants to do. The riding scene here is large enough that if he wanted to ride solely XC type stuff he could, or only DH. I'm partial to the DH aspect of things myself and as others above have put we have quite a bit to choose from that's either in town or within a short drive. Of course, an all mountain type bike would be just about perfect and would allow him to ride just about everything here.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for all the comments... I will look for something like the Reign or Enduro -- those seem like great all around bikes...