Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Two top mountain-bike racers face impersonation charges

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15043329

Is this over the top?

Two women are being charged with felony impersonation over one racing in the other's place at Leadville.

Apparently one woman was injured, so rather than wasting the fee, the other woman rode. Unfortunately, she managed to get 2nd, someone (they are not sure who) collected the prizes, and now they are both facing felonies.

I started racing at Leadville long before there was a lottery or any of that. There is no way I could ever imagine it weirding out to this level.

rubber side down
    Definitely over the top. This is ridiculous. Chlouber ought to be ashamed of what he's done to the race. He bends his own rules to get Armstrongs guys in after the race was more than full... Non-refundable $250 entry fee is ridiculous. Deadline for entry is in Feb...so you can't often tell what shape you'll be in by race time, much less injury free. I did the same thing for the Triple Bypass...was sicker than a dog when the ride rolled around..then I sold my spot to a friend.

Felony charges for this is more than idiotic. Nice work Ken.

R

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15043329

Is this over the top?

Two women are being charged with felony impersonation over one racing in the other's place at Leadville.

Apparently one woman was injured, so rather than wasting the fee, the other woman rode. Unfortunately, she managed to get 2nd, someone (they are not sure who) collected the prizes, and now they are both facing felonies.

I started racing at Leadville long before there was a lottery or any of that. There is no way I could ever imagine it weirding out to this level.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pretty silly to make it a criminal matter. I understand some of the reasons why promoters have no transfer - no refund policies, (although don't necessarily agree with all of them)I I can't imagine though, what Clouber thinks anyone has to gain by pressing charges.

IMO Leadville is way overrated as a 100 mile race anyway. Unique scene and all that, I suppose that's worth something, but as a mountain bike race it's not that great.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Leadville 100 has turned into more of a road race than anything resembling a mountain bike race. You know there is no way they could have made the switch out in the open. That would never have worked. So, instead, they do it on the sly and get burned.

I foresee some boycotting of the race in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think these ladies are lame, it's made VERY clear to everyone that you can't do this. If they were so interested in making it right why didn't she approach Ken about the injury before the race? She didn't have a problem with pulling strings to get in. What would have happened if Lyall had gotten hurt on the course, would Ken then by responsible for her?

I think a felony is harsh, but you know these are adults that chose to do this.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    I think these ladies are lame, it's made VERY clear to everyone that you can't do this. If they were so interested in making it right why didn't she approach Ken about the injury before the race? She didn't have a problem with pulling strings to get in. What would have happened if Lyall had gotten hurt on the course, would Ken then by responsible for her?

I think a felony is harsh, but you know these are adults that chose to do this.

Personally, I think a lot of races need to have a better refund/transfer policy, (somewhere between draconian and so liberal that it becomes a huge PITA) but you should know and accept the rules when you sign on the line. No doubt if the reports are accurate it's not cool to do what they did the way they did, but I don't see anything to gain by anyone to make it a criminal matter. DQ, ban, sure, that's the race directors discretion, but does the DA really need to be bothered with this?

Caveat: There is probably a lot more here than is being published in the paper or spread on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Well, they'll probably plead to a misdemeanor, pay a fine and be done with it.

As the race organizer, I wouldn't think it's over the top. If she hadn't race to won, no one would have been the wiser, but since she had to go for the gold... and cost two people podium positions (#3 would have been #2 and #4, #3) the impact was beyond just the number fraud.

And consider this... had the illegal racer crashed and been seriously injured or even killed, what do you think she and/or her family would do to the race organizers? Massive lawsuits, possibly costing them their insurance coverage.

This is way beyond just one person using another's race numer/entry and for a national level race, they do have to do something to show they are serious about fraud and safety. And maybe even to meet their insurance providers requirements for continued coverage.

Over the top? Maybe. Will they be convicted of a felony? Highly doubtful. Probably USA Cycling should chime in with a suspension from racing, too. That would probably be the most effective deterrent for a serious racer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Getting convicted of a felony is no joke. That can make employment extremely difficult in the future. As in goodbye corporate america, hello lawn care. Why would the race organizers pursue a felony charge unless they genuinely want them convicted? C'mon its a mountain bike race! Probation and job loss because of racing under someone else's number? Someone is taking themselves a little too seriously I think.
    Last edited by Ansible; 05-08-2010 at 05:03 PM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Leadville 100 has turned into more of a road race than anything resembling a mountain bike race.
    Hasn't it pretty much always been something not resembling a mt bike race? That's always been my take.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Just getting formally CHARGED with a felony is no joke. Unless there is some sort of fake ID or identity theft ring behind this, Mr. Race Organizer needs to take a chill pil and just issue the DQ or perma-ban (not to mention rethink his policies and make them more rider friendly).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, Choubler and the DA need to chill out. Wasting tax money on this, a private race for (mostly) amateurs? Choubler bends his own rules, if the entrants are famous, but calls for a felony prosecution when a racer bends the rules to avoid throwing away the $250 non-refundable fee? Remember- the women won zero money and only got a trophy (which was returned). Just ban them and/or have them give $$ to a local charity and be done with it. But a felony prosecution that will be reported on every employment app for the rest of their lives? Really Ken?

I have attended the last 3 races and was planning on returning to watch this year but the organizers are out of control. A few weeks ago, they posted on their website that if you pay/donate $2,000 to their charity, they will let you in the race and bypass the lottery (ie bend the rules). Or, if you pay the approx $2,000 to Carmichael's training camp, you get in and bypass the lottery (ie bend the rules). Or if you are famous (Lance, Levi, etc), you can bypass the lottery (ie bend the rules). But if you get in legitimately, but are injured in the months after paying the non-refundable fee, well, you are screwed. Well, the organizers can contiune to do this since it is their race but I won't be supporting it anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It will probably keep me from ever going to leadville for any reason, not just the race....BR

holding back the darkness
    The Leadville Race has lost what it was. The first time I did it I was very impressed with the community feel of it. The pre-race spaghetti dinner where volunteers wouldn't let me out the door without at least 2 free beers in my pockets. The guy who tried to give me his gloves when I realized I left mine in the car while on the start line.
    Last year there were F*ing helicopters. And don't even me started on the whole "buy your way in via Carmicheal" BS.
    It used to be something more. Something actually real that you could take away with you for the rest of the year.
    Now it's just another stupid race about money.
    I feel for these women. Makes me want to get about 300 people together and poach the race.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    It will probably keep me from ever going to leadville for any reason, not just the race....BR

Why? Ken Clouber is one person who lives in Leadville. To suggest a "boycott" of Leadville for the actionsof one person is about as over the top as Cloubers action.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Last year there were F*ing helicopters.

I'm guessing for the movie?

Why didn't the girl just back off her pace to avoid the podium? crazy.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm guessing for the movie?

Why didn't the girl just back off her pace to avoid the podium? crazy.
    My guess is that she didn't know she was going to podium. That race is a mess...It's impossible to tell where you are in your group, or what group the person ahead of you is in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone even know how many women were in the 40-49 category? I am guessing not too many. These are women in their 40s, racing because they enjoy it, not women hoping to move up into pro racing.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the organizers changed the website this year so previous years results can't be found. The results also contained splits, which was useful information. Wonder why they removed this section.

skillz to pay billz
    makes sense, also I didn't think about the 40-49 cat. of course you can't tell where you are in the group.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Why? Ken Clouber is one person who lives in Leadville. To suggest a "boycott" of Leadville for the actionsof one person is about as over the top as Cloubers action.
    Not a boycott, just no desire to visit the place now...BR

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hasn't it pretty much always been something not resembling a mt bike race? That's always been my take.
    OH PL-EASE Gimmie a f'n break.Have you done the race yourself? I am tired of people who havent done this race complaining/*****ing about it.Mostly because they are secretly mad for not making the lottery.Leadville was one of the first ultra endurance races in the country,and continues to be one of the toughest.No,it doesnt have a lot of "singletrack",But it makes up for that with high elevation climbs.There isnt a lot of singletrack in the Leadville area,but lots of fs roads that climb climb climb.People have tried to do the race on cross bikes with less than stellar results.Of course as the sport has evolved,new races (ie Breck) continue to push the envelope w/more climbing singletrack,etc...And although the race has changed(a lot) it still remains the best organized,funnest(imo) ultra's out there.The town still rallies at 6:30 am to cheer on the racers all day,and the vibe leading up to the race is great.And regarding the woman who "cheated",you deserve what you get for having the stupidity to accept a medal in front of 1000 + people in a race you knowingly "scammed".....Rant over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Brazelton bent the rules to get herself in the race, remember she didn't make the lottery to begin with, she should hold herself to a higher standard knowing she got special treatment. Plus the women racing in her place wasn't even in the age group, she's in her 30's. Have any of you ever won in something competitive? There is nothing like that buzz from taking your spot on the podium and since this is an amateur race and nothing more than a simple "road ride", that's the prize. Someone who followed the rules got ripped off because of the lameness of these women. You guys also know that Ken isn't the one who decides this is a felony charge right? Per the race packets if you are caught violating this rule they will consider it theft of services and notify the sheriff. That's what he did. Law enforcement came up with this charge bases upon the law. Remember these are the guys up there tazering kids and arresting the fire department during 911 calls. I also wonder if how they are treating season ski pass poaching has a lot to do with it?

For all the people on here always rooting for the LBS and small biz etc. I don't know why everyone gives Ken so much crap. He's a local guy who was able to build a successful business off of bike racing? How many people are able to do that?! I'm sure none of us in our business or personal lives are taking any kinds of liberties with people who we do biz with, or owe us favors or just because we like someone. How many times has your LBS dude hooked you up because you drop off a 12 pack now and then, and the next guy through the door pays full price?

In the end I agree this is all pretty silly. I'm going to go ride my bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I feel for these women. Makes me want to get about 300 people together and poach the race.
    just out of curiosity...

would you get in a lot of trouble for riding the course at the same time as the race?
    with the exception of the dam crossing, it's all public/forest service roads...i believe.
    or do the race directors somehow reserve all the roads to registered racer rider only traffic during the day of the race?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would assume you could ride it, even events such as the NYC marathon let runners run who did not get officially drawn...The just don't get an official time or photo at the finish...BR

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    OH PL-EASE Gimmie a f'n break.Have you done the race yourself? I am tired of people who havent done this race complaining/*****ing about it.Mostly because they are secretly mad for not making the lottery.Leadville was one of the first ultra endurance races in the country,and continues to be one of the toughest.No,it doesnt have a lot of "singletrack",But it makes up for that with high elevation climbs.There isnt a lot of singletrack in the Leadville area,but lots of fs roads that climb climb climb.People have tried to do the race on cross bikes with less than stellar results.Of course as the sport has evolved,new races (ie Breck) continue to push the envelope w/more climbing singletrack,etc...And although the race has changed(a lot) it still remains the best organized,funnest(imo) ultra's out there.The town still rallies at 6:30 am to cheer on the racers all day,and the vibe leading up to the race is great.And regarding the woman who "cheated",you deserve what you get for having the stupidity to accept a medal in front of 1000 + people in a race you knowingly "scammed".....Rant over.
    I didn't understand the comment as a "complaint." Pretty much everyone I have ever spoken with about the Leadville 100 has had a similar take. Everyone agrees it's challenging, but almost without exception people I've spoke with have always thrown in the caveat about the lack of singletrack and the minimal trails. I mean, if someone said to you, "hey, let's go on the mountain bike ride," and the route consisted of no or very few trails, I imagine you'd have appreciated a bit more explanation.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC Rider
    But a felony prosecution that will be reported on every employment app for the rest of their lives? Really Ken?
    very few applications require the reporting of prosecutions. usually only convictions. and they are unlikely to be convicted of a felony.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think the reality of the situation is that the Leadville 100 is now very important to the small town of Leadville. The DA is charging this as a felony (probably with lots of pressure from above) to protect the reputation of the race so that it continues to be popular and bring in lots of money to the town. I think this is race is now Leadville's claim to fame and they will vigorously protect that.

For those of you that are criticizing the organizers entry requirements and that they may "bend" the rules no and then to get certain people in. As the race organizer Ken has absolute authority to let anyone he want's to race. The rules for admission are not set in stone and should be and are subject to change to meets certain goals.

No matter what the DA's motives are, a felony charge is ridiculousness. A lifetime ban from racing however is not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When I pointed out how much Choubler "bends" the rules, I was merely showing the hypocrisy that when others do so, the organizers take it to the nth degree to enforce the rules but ignore how much they bend their own rules. The organizers can bend the rules all they want since it is their rules but they must be called out on it when they do (particularly when they show no mercy on others).

They should have done the punishment directly instead of getting the DA involved and wasting taxdollars on this frivolous matter. After all the other stuff the organizers have done in the last few years, this is the final straw for me.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    No singletrack... no care.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    Not a boycott, just no desire to visit the place now...BR
    Why "now" and not before this came to your attention? I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing match, just curious. Personally, I don't see what this has to do with whether Leadville is a worthwhile place to visit or or not.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I didn't understand the comment as a "complaint." Pretty much everyone I have ever spoken with about the Leadville 100 has had a similar take. Everyone agrees it's challenging, but almost without exception people I've spoke with have always thrown in the caveat about the lack of singletrack and the minimal trails. I mean, if someone said to you, "hey, let's go on the mountain bike ride," and the route consisted of no or very few trails, I imagine you'd have appreciated a bit more explanation.
    I've done the race a couple times back in the day. For me it's not so much the lack of singletrack, although singletrack is nice of course. Jeep trails, especially in the high alpine are fine with me. It's the amount of pavement and graded dirt road as well as the out and back format. I've always thought they should be able to come up with a better course given all the miles of obscure mining roads there. A series of big loops or a multi lap race on a 25 or 50 mile loop.

As I said before, the race has it's own circus like, big event, "happenin" vibe and there's a place for that - it's not a bad thing IMO. Kind of like doing the triple bypass, it's as much a social event as a challenging event. As a 100 mile MTB race though, the course isn't that great.

As far as I know, Clouber has always been more of a trail runner and not much of a cyclist. I think that shows in what kind of course his race has.

..ouch
    A felony? Over a bike race. Seriously fvcking ridiculous.

Starts B, ends Rant.
    They are clearly making an example of this woman to send a message to others who sell or give away their entries. Why aren't they transferable? So we don't have scalping of race slots the way we have scalping of concerts and sports. If race spots were transferable, some ahole would set up a system to get a whole bunch then turn around and sell them for $2,000 a pop. How ballistic would people on the board go if the only way to get a ticket was to pay some scalper $2,000?

Ken is protecting his race from this kind of thing and, frankly, I don't know how you can blame him. He OWNS the races. This is his business. If people don't like it, they can choose not to participate. I'm sure it's not the race it was 10 years ago before anybody knew about it. Nothing that becomes popular or nationally known can fully preserve its original flavor. That's the world. Giving away spots to pros that will raise the profile of the race is good business for Ken and for Leadville. Letting sponsors buy spots is good for Ken and good for Leadville. It didn't look to me like the people in the movie who were pouring their hearts and souls into the race seemed to care.

Actually, if you think about it, Ken is doing a lot to preserve the race. If he wanted to maximize profit, he would dutch auction the race entries, which would peg their exact value and only those with the money would be able to participate. Bidders submit how much they are willing to pay for each entry. If there are 100 entries, each person ends up paying what the 100th person bid. Given that demand for this race massively outstrips supply, I think we can conclude that what Ken is charging is well below what the entries are actually worth. Instead, he holds a lottery and keeps the entry fee artificially low. In order to do this though, he has to make sure that the entries are non-transferrable. Otherwise, someone people will sell the race spots and pocket the difference between what they pay Ken and what they get for the entry, thus capturing the profit that Ken is foregoing in order to make the race more widely accessible. Just because the women in this example didn't sell the race spot, doesn't mean what they should go unpunished. Because there is no way to police who gave away a spot and who sold it, the race spots must be universally non-transferrable and it must be enforced. Ken is keeping the race more accessible for everyone by enforcing these rules.

To use the commercialism of the race and the price of entry and the non-refundable nature of the fees as an excuse for what these woman did is analogous to saying that if a bike shop is charging too much for something, it's ok to steal it. This is stealing, even if it's just a belt buckle. The ever-rightous MTBRers would seemingly be against these women. I bet if it was a race you would have won, you'd be pretty pissed, right?

Yes, these women are being made an example of and felony seems harsh. However, if you don't play by the rules and the law in life, you can expect that, at some point, you will get caught and it will suck. They knew the rules, the rolled the dice and now they have to live with the consequences. And, hopefully, it sends a message to the rest of the race community that this kind of thing isn't going to be tolerated because that protects the sanctity of the race, fees and results for all of us.

Brant

mtbr member
    I cant believe how many people are rationalizing this ridiculous charge. There is no rationalization for charging someone with a FELONY for someone using someone else's entry to a bicycle race that was PAID FOR. No theft of services here... Money was paid for services, and services were received. Ban them from the race? Sure thing. But to charge them criminally is over the top no matter how you look at it. What a waste of tax money.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    They are clearly making an example of this woman to send a message to others who sell or give away their entries. Why aren't they transferable? So we don't have scalping of race slots the way we have scalping of concerts and sports. If race spots were transferable, some ahole would set up a system to get a whole bunch then turn around and sell them for $2,000 a pop. How ballistic would people on the board go if the only way to get a ticket was to pay some scalper $2,000?

Ken is protecting his race from this kind of thing and, frankly, I don't know how you can blame him. He OWNS the races. This is his business. If people don't like it, they can choose not to participate. I'm sure it's not the race it was 10 years ago before anybody knew about it. Nothing that becomes popular or nationally known can fully preserve its original flavor. That's the world. Giving away spots to pros that will raise the profile of the race is good business for Ken and for Leadville. Letting sponsors buy spots is good for Ken and good for Leadville. It didn't look to me like the people in the movie who were pouring their hearts and souls into the race seemed to care.

Actually, if you think about it, Ken is doing a lot to preserve the race. If he wanted to maximize profit, he would dutch auction the race entries, which would peg their exact value and only those with the money would be able to participate. Bidders submit how much they are willing to pay for each entry. If there are 100 entries, each person ends up paying what the 100th person bid. Given that demand for this race massively outstrips supply, I think we can conclude that what Ken is charging is well below what the entries are actually worth. Instead, he holds a lottery and keeps the entry fee artificially low. In order to do this though, he has to make sure that the entries are non-transferrable. Otherwise, someone people will sell the race spots and pocket the difference between what they pay Ken and what they get for the entry, thus capturing the profit that Ken is foregoing in order to make the race more widely accessible. Just because the women in this example didn't sell the race spot, doesn't mean what they should go unpunished. Because there is no way to police who gave away a spot and who sold it, the race spots must be universally non-transferrable and it must be enforced. Ken is keeping the race more accessible for everyone by enforcing these rules.

To use the commercialism of the race and the price of entry and the non-refundable nature of the fees as an excuse for what these woman did is analogous to saying that if a bike shop is charging too much for something, it's ok to steal it. This is stealing, even if it's just a belt buckle. The ever-rightous MTBRers would seemingly be against these women. I bet if it was a race you would have won, you'd be pretty pissed, right?

Yes, these women are being made an example of and felony seems harsh. However, if you don't play by the rules and the law in life, you can expect that, at some point, you will get caught and it will suck. They knew the rules, the rolled the dice and now they have to live with the consequences. And, hopefully, it sends a message to the rest of the race community that this kind of thing isn't going to be tolerated because that protects the sanctity of the race, fees and results for all of us.

Brant
    Nice post Brant. Like I said, I understand why race promoters have no refund no transfer policies even though I might think there might be ways to modify those policies to make the event a bit racer friendly. Plus, I think the entry fee is more than a bit steep but that's not the issue.
    Most people here have agreed that a DQ, life time ban and whatever ramifications from the point of view of sanctioning body violations are appropriate. Plus, the return of prizes is, or course, a no brainer. The question is whether or not something like this should be put into the criminal system.
    As an ex-race promoter and someone who is still involved with the management of races, my opinion is no. Others may have different opinions and points of views and that's fine. If it were my race though, I wouldn't involve the law authorities. I think you can protect your event without going that far. In fact, I think you could quite possibly do more harm than good from a PR point of view. As you said, though, vote with your wallet and I have choosen not to do the race for quite a few years for reasons that have nothing o do with this issue.

web
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant

Brant
    But wait, as someone pointed out earlier, CTS "scalps" race entries for some ridiculous amount already. So the idea that they are keeping people from charging exorbitant amounts for race spots is old news, done that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ken could take a lesson from Rich (Laramie Enduro race director). His system solves the whole transferrable/scalper problem. The first spots sell out quickly and everyone else ends up on a wait list. If you get injured, you withdraw and the next waitlisted person gets your spot.

Done and done.

Shattering Glass
    Commercial racing for posing points and well known juicy types. Boring!. I'm going to do the Half Ass 100 before the weenies come out and ruin it.

mtbr member
    The best case scenario for any race promoter is to sell entry's and then not have to provide any services. They make 100% profit on all DNS's. Look at the list from the past 10 years of people that don't even show up at the start. It is in the hundreds per year. They are counting on people not showing up.

The website does not have the past results any more but the year I did it there were 750 entrants, 600 starters, and 500 finishers. Plus or minus.

150 x $200 = $30,000 right to the bottom line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    Ken could take a lesson from Rich (Laramie Enduro race director). His system solves the whole transferrable/scalper problem. The first spots sell out quickly and everyone else ends up on a wait list. If you get injured, you withdraw and the next waitlisted person gets your spot.

Done and done.
    I suspect there is more to it than this. Risk management and insurance liability come into play here.

If you're on the wait list, will you train properly for the possibility that you might get a last minute spot? Some will, but human nature says most won't and they become a risk to the pack and to the organizer.

Yes, you can argue that some people who do get a lottery entry won't train enough,either, but then it's on them since they've had their entry confirmed for months and in a liability lawsuit, they won't have much to stand on.

Now, if you take a last minute spot and have a heart attack or crash because you're so tired you're incoherent, the way our liability system works, you know the courts (and jury - which includes all the indignant folks here who root for the little guy no matter what) and the way the laws are written will favor a big judgment against the race organizer for negligence in letting an unprepared racer enter the event.

Or if a last minute entrant crashes and wipes out folks who have trained for months, maybe injuring them in the process, who do you think will get sued? The last minute racer? Or the perceived deep pockets of the organizer and the sponsors??

I've ridden several events that have a no refund (they pay for stuff based on your entry) and no transfer policy and accept the risk when I sign up.

As for felony prosecution, I stand by my belief that they'll reduce the charges and wind up paying a misdemeanor fine. And if they're smart, they'll get the record sealed so they don't have to disclose it on anything short of a national security application for a clearance.

As for them not doing anything bad and for the organizer "bending the rules"... the racer that got injured played that game herself. She asked her shop to get her an entry even though she didn't get one through the lottery. Then, having received a favor or special treatment, she showed her appreciation by doing this? No, I don't have any sympathy for her even if the law does come down hard on her. The other racer? Well, since she didn't actually agree to the terms of the race and therefore didn't violate anything she agreed to, I do think she's being way over charged and should probably get off without any criminal fine or penalty and just a ban from the race (and, if she's a USA Cycling licensed racer, maybe a ban from any racing for a while, too).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    As for them not doing anything bad and for the organizer "bending the rules"... the racer that got injured played that game herself. She asked her shop to get her an entry even though she didn't get one through the lottery. Then, having received a favor or special treatment, she showed her appreciation by doing this? No, I don't have any sympathy for her even if the law does come down hard on her. The other racer? Well, since she didn't actually agree to the terms of the race and therefore didn't violate anything she agreed to, I do think she's being way over charged and should probably get off without any criminal fine or penalty and just a ban from the race (and, if she's a USA Cycling licensed racer, maybe a ban from any racing for a while, too).
    I was not going to chime in on here since I know both women very well. Just for the record, the story that Ken told the Denver Post is partially incorrect.

Katie won her entry into the 2009 race via the lottery like everyone else, with the exception of the keynote pros, in January of 2009. The bike shop she rode for last year sent in 10 entries. 6 were chosen in the lottery, including hers. The misquote is unfortunate since now most believe she was granted special entry even though she went through the same process as most in the race.

There is always more to every story and the Post only presented Ken's side.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by amytco
    What!?!?! The Post only presented one side of the story? I'm sure they researched both sides and simply presented the facts to their readership in an informative, unbiased manner.
    ...Oh, wait... Am I back from Bizarro-world already? It's so hard to tell sometimes.
    Yeah... This is the Normal-world, and the Post is just doing what it does. It's OK, the newspaper is an antiquated relic whose sentimental readership is fading into obscurity. Pay them no mind.
    Chlouber keeps stepping on the peasants to touch the King's robes. Sooner or later he'll trip and they'll turn on him. Which is unfortunate for everyone.

mtbr member
    Crap race, crap trails, crap organizers. I'll go ride 100 miles of fireroads with all the wannabe elitist and currently mountain hillbilly priks here before doing Leadville....and that is saying something. Gross overreaction by Ken too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amytco
    I was not going to chime in on here since I know both women very well. Just for the record, the story that Ken told the Denver Post is partially incorrect.

Katie won her entry into the 2009 race via the lottery like everyone else, with the exception of the keynote pros, in January of 2009. The bike shop she rode for last year sent in 10 entries. 6 were chosen in the lottery, including hers. The misquote is unfortunate since now most believe she was granted special entry even though she went through the same process as most in the race.

Amytco,

Have your friends tried or asked what they can do to make this right with Ken? Maybe volunteer at his races for the next couple of years to avoid any criminal charges. Pay back the entry fees for both racers??? I'm just throwing out suggestions.

I would be shocked if they are convicted with felony charges, I would be shocked if this isn't settled out of court, but people surprise me every day. They would get the right to a jury trial and that may change things, plus the DA will plea bargain this situation more then once.

I know that what happened is not fair to all the other racers out there, but felony charges seem deep.

BG.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Crap race, crap trails, crap organizers. I'll go ride 100 miles of fireroads with all the wannabe elitist and currently mountain hillbilly priks here before doing Leadville....and that is saying something. Gross overreaction by Ken too!
    Um,OK.But lets not forget WHAT the LT 100 races(yes there are multiple races,it's not just a 103 mile bike race) have done for the community in and around Leadville.Love or hate Ken,he has done a lot to keep a struggling mining community afloat.Maybe even help keep some folks employed that are friends/family of the nutbags on this board.Every year children in and around Leadville have a christmas thanks to the Leadville legacy.What have YOU done BM?
    Yeah the felony charge is silly(and will likely be dropped) But isnt it the po-po's decision,not Ken's as to what charges to file?

..ouch
    But isnt it the po-po's decision,not Ken's as to what charges to file?
    It's technically the DA, but in a situation like this if the "injured" party asked for it to be dropped then they usually will.

I really don't think some folks are understanding just how impacting defending a felony charge can be. It'll cost these women a minimum of a 5K flat fee each just to retain a decent criminal attorney for preliminary work.. substantially more if it goes to jury trial. If they can't afford someone good and claim indigence (tough to do if you own a car, house, or a 2K+ mountainbike) then they'll end up with a public defender and likely a substantial misdemeanor charge.

So.. best case.. if they chunk into the kid's college fund, retain someone good, spend hours of their life driving up to hick-ass Leadville for prelim hearings and finally get lucky enough that it gets dropped, then it will still show up on their records. One of my departments handles background checks for our company and even though most state laws prohibit an adverse employment action based on such items, the checks still show every arrest and charge. A less informed or fair employer could see those and still decide not to hire someone based on some "other" reason. Government agencies are not bound by these same rules so this could impact their ability to obtain certain security clearances.

Even if you're entirely innocent, defending a felony charge is a huge impact to someone's life and WAY the hell out of line for breaking the rules in damn bike race.

I personally hope that if they pursue this that the negative PR kills the race and Lance and others pull attendance. If the town supports Ken, their sheriff and their DA pulling this crap then it deserves to waste back into the hillbilly shacks from which it came.

killin clear creek
    Um,OK.But lets not forget WHAT the LT 100 races(yes there are multiple races,it's not just a 103 mile bike race) have done for the community in and around Leadville.Love or hate Ken,he has done a lot to keep a struggling mining community afloat.Maybe even help keep some folks employed that are friends/family of the nutbags on this board.Every year children in and around Leadville have a christmas thanks to the Leadville legacy.What have YOU done BM?
    Yeah the felony charge is silly(and will likely be dropped) But isnt it the po-po's decision,not Ken's as to what charges to file?
    seriously? Maybe I'm just not aware of all the good done by this organizer, but you really think that this silly elitist road geek race on mtn bikes is making a big difference in leadtucky??

No matter how you look at it, as was mentioned above, the fact that someone is facing felony charges because of a bike race is absolutely inane. Ken should be *****slapped the next time any of you are in town. I'm stuck going to that blight on the top of the hill rather often, I'd love to meet up with him & let him know what it's like to be truly negatively affected by someone who could care less about the reality of their situation.

Righteous asses like this guy should get a taste of what they're doing to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That place is a dump and new races will hopefully take over. Eff them- I'll never get gas there again. Go Senators race!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    That place is a dump and new races will hopefully take over. Eff them- I'll never get gas there again. Go Senators race!
    Clouber might be over the top here, but I don't think the folks who pay their bills selling gas or anything else in Leadville have anything to do with that.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Clouber might be over the top here, but I don't think the folks who pay their bills selling gas or anything else in Leadville have anything to do with that.
    If they're not petitioning against this to their local elected officials (sheriff & DA) then they do.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    If they're not petitioning against this to their local elected officials (sheriff & DA) then they do.
    Really? You think they give a s**t? Do you typically petition your Sheriff and local elected officials because of some perceived or real miscarriage of justice on matters that are of no interest of impact on you? If you don't, does this make you complicate with the wrong and should that be a good reason for others to boycott your livelihood? How about all the other racers? If they don't petition the Sheriff and elected officials are they complicate? ("Hey, Jack bike racer, 35th in the men's 30-25 category who owns Jacks bike shop didn't petition the Sheriff and elected officials, I'll NEVER buy anything from that bike shop again")

Sorry if that seems a bit of a flame but your presumption seems a bit of a stretch IMO. I'd say If you feel strongly about it, you should contact those directly involved and let them know your feelings, but I don't see any reason to project any righteous indignation on people who have nothing to do with it and are just trying to make a living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast