Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Two 'Springs Riders Dead

This really sucks:

http://www.krdo.com/global/story.asp?s=8802101

"Barbara Thomas is being charged with vehicular homicide, driving under the influence of drugs, and driving with a restricted license."
    Last edited by bikeCOLORADO; 08-07-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    This really sucks:

http://www.krdo.com/global/story.asp?s=8802101

"Barbara Thomas is being charged with vehicular homicide, driving under the influence of drugs, and driving with a restricted license."
    It sucks beyond comprehension and I feel for their them and their families.

But that won't prevent the douchebags on here from blaming the cyclists.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Big Boned
    stay on dirt
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    stay on dirt
    And we're off!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    stay on dirt
    true compassion right there..

Now with 20% more fat!!
    That is horrible... One day I hope we can get support for mandatory driving tests for every person each year after age 55... The deterioration in eyesight, hand-eye coordination, reaction time, etc gets exponentially worse as we get older. It would be really nice if we could verify that people on the road that are in charge of a 2000+lb vehicle haven't significantly lost their ability to do so... It establishes a base-line for each individual and allows the state to track their progress or deterioration yearly. At some point we all lose the ability to drive safely... it would be nice if we actually took steps to remove people from the road BEFORE they kill someone with their vehicle, or cause an accident that they aren't even aware of until someone pounds on their hood to stop driving and return to the scene of the accident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Gazette has a short article on it here. As you would expect, many of the reader's comments blame it on the bikers for being on a road where only cars should reside. Actually, I was shocked at the crassness in some of the comments. You would have thought the victims were raping children or something.

Anyway, it is sad to hear about this kind of thing. The riders had no chance against her Ford F-350 when she took that turn in front of them. I will say that it was dark and raining at the time, which, if the driver wasn't driving under the influence, probably would have gotten her some sympathy. But, she got busted, two people are dead, and the bikes vs motorists debate is rekindled.

skillz to pay billz
    fact is, doesn't matter if you're a roadie on a long ride or a mtb'er connecting a short piece of road or a commuter, this could happen to any of us.

mtbr member
    "Under the influence of drugs..." reads to me like he should be savagely beaten about the head and neck until he can only eat thru a straw for killing ppl w/ a motorized vehicle. But that's just me.

Goofing off?
    Nooby is correct. End of thread (unless you are offering condolences).

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    fact is, doesn't matter if you're a roadie on a long ride or a mtb'er connecting a short piece of road or a commuter, this could happen to any of us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Iím saddened by the hostility expressed towards cyclists who share the road with motorists. I just canít figure out how a cyclist can appear so threatening to a driver in an automobile. I canít figure out how the inconvenience of sharing the road with cyclists can result in the devalue of human life? Our pro-auto culture incorrectly assumes that cyclist must assume all the risk (including death) for ridding on a road. I think that law enforcement has not adequately enforced cyclists rights. Of course, the real issue at hand is the problem of intoxicated driving which will always dangerously subvert any rules of the road between cyclists and motorist. I am sorry for the deceased familiesí losses and the fellow riders who witnessed the accident. Undoubtly, this will forever change their ability to ride and feel safe.

Really I am that slow
    a good buddy of mine that well be sorely missed!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    That is just awful. My thoughts and prayers are with the riders friends and families.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Well said. RIP fellow bikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Condolences to the victims and families.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    a moment of silence

mtbr member
    I see this too often. A car kills some cyclists and people start posting their hate and intolerance towards cyclists.

If you ride on the road, even to get to the dirt trail, please watch out. It sounds like these people didn't have a chance but just in case you do have a chance, please anticipate the worst possible actions by every driver out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken
    Condolences to the victims and families.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Thread Terrorist
    agreed

mtbr member
    Brutal honesty - Many drivers do not care that the law allows us on the road (and provides us EQUAL access nonetheless), as a matter of fact it drives plenty of them insane that WE are on THEIR roads.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Brutal honesty - Many drivers do not care that the law allows us on the road (and provides us EQUAL access nonetheless), as a matter of fact it drives plenty of them insane that WE are on THEIR roads.

as evidenced by the comments from the gazette article (and other articles about car/bike accidents)

People suck
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

MTB B'dos
    My deepest sypathies to the cyclists family and friends.

As a person who doesn't own a car and gets about on a bike I experience the kind of crapthinking that is being expressed on the message boards where the stories are. Luckily down here we don't have any really huge highways and a lot of people have ridden a bicycle at some point in their lives and have some respect, but I still have to deal with a$$Holes chatting away on their cell phones passing within inches or passing and then pulling clean in front of me.

In these days were fuel prices are so high, traffic congestion up the wazoo, obesity and heart problems etc fuled by unhealthy living I would think the benefits of using bicycles for transportaion would be encouraged, not frowned upon.

As an aside, if by chance someone can get the Ip and other info of the poster "cjfi213", I think the human race would behove whoever for putting the lights out permanantly as they obviously are not fit to live amoungst other civilized people.

mtbr member
    This is horrible. My deepest sympathiest to the families and friends.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    This is another unfortunate car vs.cyclist story. There have been a few who have posted on here that it doesn't matter what kind of "Cyclist" you are, that this could happen to any fellow "Cyclist". But the fact of the matter is it doesn't happen to just any "Cyclists", it happens primarily to those riding in a group ( at least in the Springs) and is usually caused by impedeing traffic. I see people riding their bikes to work, to run errands etc... all the time and every day, but there is one little caveat... They are all on $150 Huffies or whatever WalMart is pushing that week.

You never here about these "commuters" being hit and or killed by a vehicle, despite the fact that; they probably put more miles on their ChinaMart bikes in a week than most on here do in a month. The reason: It's not a lifestyle but an only means of transportation for them, and ironically, they don't wear $300 lycra outfits or ride a 10k bike, or for that matter, even wear a helmet. But they know that in a "car vs. bike" accident, the car wins every time. These "Cyclists" ride in the far right side of the road and if there is not enough room, they ride on the sidewalk until there is.

The fact is: This another tragic accident, and these two people will never be able to ride their bikes, nor watch a sunset, or hold their spouses, kids etc... ever again. The woman driver will be charged with vehicular manslaughter and I'm sure a host of other charges, and rightfully so!

I am sure many on here will fling insults, call me callous, and whatever... But the truth is: Until cyclists get rid of the " Holier than thou" attitude, and check their sense of false grandeur, we will probably see more of these tragedies in the future. Check your pride, and ego, and realize that riding single file, or riding on the sidewalk for 30 yards will allow you to ride another day!

And finally, I ride a bicycle as a hobby, not a lifestyle. I don't consider myself to be a "Cyclist", I ride a bicycle as an escape from the stress of the every day world. I don't feel entitled to be on a bike and I don't feel like the person driving the car that passes me to be the enemy. Ride your mountain bike, road bike, fixie, pixie, or whatever the new "thing" is now, but use your brain while doing it.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    I am sure many on here will fling insults, call me callous, and whatever... But the truth is: Until cyclists get rid of the " Holier than thou" attitude, and check their sense of false grandeur, we will probably see more of these tragedies in the future. Check your pride, and ego, and realize that riding single file, or riding on the sidewalk for 30 yards will allow you to ride another day!
    The irony of your post is killing me. Douchebag.

Did I call it or what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast