crashes in parkinglot

Twelvemile Tr / Sheep Creek Tr - Fairplay beta?

I'm looking to ride twelevemile and sheep creek trails outside of Fairplay.

I was thinking of driving out of Fairplay to 5, to 455, and parking either when the single track starts, or when the road becomes impassable.

Or

Starting and the Horseshoe CG, and riding up over Browns Pass into the Twelvemile Tr area.

Anyone done this ride? Any reccomendations? I'd like to maximize ST, but having a low car has me concerened even though the map says the first route is not a 4x4 road.
    Down is the new up.

rubber side down
    I'm planning on riding Sheep Creek Trail later this summer:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...03#post4568903

Sounds like a great trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Never ridden that trail but there is another nice ride a little south off Salt Creek Road (1.5 miles north of Antero Junction- HWy24 & 285).
    It used to be in the Chaffee County trail guides and I have not done this ride since 2007 so unsure of the current conditions.

About three miles up Salt Creek Rd is trail 631 that climbs over to Pony Park Rd. Once on Pony park you ride up to FR 433 about 3-4 miles up a left turn is the Salt Creek Trail which climbs up to FR 435. I think a branch of Salt Creek Trail goes over to FR 436 too. Both FR 435/436 drop back down to Salt Creek Rd back to your car.

Before the trail 631 turn there is a parking area under some trees off Salt Creek Rd just after the USFS boundry

crashes in parkinglot
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking of hitting Tweleve and sheep this weekend. There looks to be plenty of single track out this way for a big ride with small amounts of fire road as connectors. (based on the Lat 40 maps)
    Down is the new up.

friend of Apex

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rode it today, it was great.

285 - 5 - 22 - 455. I drive a GMC Yukon and was able to make it all the way up Sheep Creek Tr. road to the trailhead. It was a bit tough in places and I ended up using 4wd due to the somewhat muddy trail and steep grade but it's definitely driveable. From 22 the road is not marked forest road 455, it's marked Sheep Creek Trail. (I drove WAY up Weston Pass (22) before I realized it.)

Anyway, the trail is nice and absolutely gorgeous as mentioned in the link before. We rode the whole route in the other Sheep Creek thread and only saw two other people coming up breakneck pass road. One thing is I couldn't find forest road 176. We rode up 456 all the way to the mine which was a great forest road ride. Lots of awesome scenery. It started climbing steeply after the old mine but we turned around due to time constraints.

One thing, pay attention to your wheel placement. The logs that have been removed or have fallen around Sheep Creek trail are REALLY close to the edge of the singletrack in a few places. There is also a sketchy beaver pond/creek crossing that required balancing on a few logs. One of them was rotten which resulted in a wet right foot.

The only thing we didn't like about it was the ride (slog) back up 5/22/455. The 60 mph head wind and pelting rain/small hail was a drag. Before I ride it again, I will find another way back to the trailhead. If I can't find another route, I might make it an out and back.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Out and back is your only other option. Otherwise you have to grind it out on the gravel rd. For me it's not what I prefer, but it's that big of a deal either unless the road is washboard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, then I would probably do it as an out/back.

5/22 is VERY washboard. My buddy was on his hardtail and hated life...fortunately I was on the stumpy so I had at least a bit of compliance.

Still a great day and an awesome trail at (for me) very high elevation. My altimeter said 11,328 was the max.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Has anyone continued up Sheep Mountain on trail 691 from Browns Pass? My Lat 40 map shows this trail ascending up to around 12,000 feet and then contouring north below the peak of Sheep Mountain before dropping down to Horseshoe campground. There are a lot of elevation contour lines very close together on my map, so it may not be realistically rideable.

mtbr member
    Anybody have any recent reports from this area, I bet the aspens are poopin'
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

skillz to pay billz
    gold dust was goin' off last weekend. Peakin'.

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    Anybody have any recent reports from this area, I bet the aspens are poopin'
    Gold Dust certainly was peakin' last Sunday:

Probably past peak now...the southern Sawatch and northern Sangre De Cristos are looking good at the moment though.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd guess Sheep Creek is still very good. There are still quite a few aspens with green leaves here in Summit. I don't know if this weekend will be the peak or if it'll be past peak, but it will still be pretty nice.