mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tunnel under 93 on Marshall Mesa/Community Ditch

It looks like, after at least 25 years of planning, there is finally going to be a tunnel installed under 93 on Community Ditch/Marshall Mesa. I remember the sign at the 128/93 trailhead mentioning a tunnel in 1988...I always wondered where the hell it was. It wasn't - yet. It turned out this tunnel has been in the works for this long!

We'll all have another "good old days" story in a few years - the good old days of playing Frogger trying to cross 93.

There also is going to be a 6 foot shoulder on the highway - LONG overdue. There have been many fatals on that stretch.

Colo. 93 widening clears way for underpass south of Boulder - Boulder Daily Camera

tiny rider
    This will be much appreciated, on both my skinny tired bikes and fat tired bikes.

mtbr member
    Very overdue. I've always been surprised that this crossing was part of a sanctioned trail, it's in the probably the worse location possible on 93.

Hopefully the construction can be managed to cause too many delays, that stretch is busy during rush hour.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I had a scary experience there a couple months ago. Finished my ride in the dark, road is a bit icy. Have to sprint across the street and hope I don't slip.

This is a good addition.

Especially if they berm the walls and put in a kicker coming out of the tunnel.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I had a scary experience there a couple months ago. Finished my ride in the dark, road is a bit icy. Have to sprint across the street and hope I don't slip.

This is a good addition.

Especially if they berm the walls and put in a kicker coming out of the tunnel.
    I nominate you to be on the design committee!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yikes

I have sprinted across, not realizing my front tire was quite low with air...made a sharp turn and ...down I go in the middle of 93. Scary.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Aw man! That was the most exciting section of the ride!

It's good to see some progress, and I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is actually an existing tunnel further up the hill for livestock crossings that could have been used with a couple trail extensions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    ... I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.
    ...you'll also be required to show proof of Boulder residency to use the tunnel at no additional cost.

will definitely make loops out there more enjoyable.

surprised they decided to do it before somebody died.

not sure a 6 foot shoulder will make 93 feel any more safe though. will probably just make people drive faster.

side note: how does this cost 7 million dollars? it's not even 2 miles worth of road.

i'm sure i could do it in a year with a couple shovels, wheelbarrows, and some buddies....for well under 7 million dollars.

mtbr member
    Any update on this project? Is it slated to be finished this year? Right now, it makes loops down community ditch near impossible/illegal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    69ereverything posted it is about half done, up in the trail condition threads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    69ereverything posted it is about half done, up in the trail condition threads.
    Cool. Thanks. Just read on a trail site that the ETA is July. Hope they can make that deadline!!!

GL1
    mtbr member

It will help give us non boulder residents options to avoid the pay lots. Still shaking my head on that one as a Jeffco resident that doesn't believe in inventing such "creative" revenue streams..but as it is boulder politics have been discussed enough lately here.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    It will help give us non boulder residents options to avoid the pay lots. Still shaking my head on that one as a Jeffco resident that doesn't believe in inventing such "creative" revenue streams..but as it is boulder politics have been discussed enough lately here.
    Options:

1) Park at the NE corner of 93 and Marshall Road in the impromptu park and ride.
    2) Park on the shoulder along 66th south of Marshall Road.
    3) Park on Coal Creek Road west of the road that runs behind Costco.
    4) Park at the Coalton Road trailhead and use their nice bathrooms.
    5) Park on 128 where High Plans meets the Coalton section of the Dirty loop.

Just remember, Boulder needs that $20,000 of revenue they generate from the parking areas to help pay the extra $75,000 they spent to hire a new ranger to patrol the parking lots.

mtbr member
    This will be a good thing. I found this quote from the article a bit disturbing:

"Despite the perceived hazard, there haven't been many accidents at the trail crossing. City officials said they have just one on record in which a dog was a hit.

That had led CDOT officials to be hesitant to approve a crossing at the location or approve closures to the highway that will be necessary to construct the underpass."

Basically saying they needed something bad to happen before justifying action to be taken. SMH.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
    This will be a good thing. I found this quote from the article a bit disturbing:

"Despite the perceived hazard, there haven't been many accidents at the trail crossing. City officials said they have just one on record in which a dog was a hit.

That had led CDOT officials to be hesitant to approve a crossing at the location or approve closures to the highway that will be necessary to construct the underpass."

Basically saying they needed something bad to happen before justifying action to be taken. SMH.
    Welcome to the alternate universe of CDOT's priorities. It took over THIRTY people being killed, and countless injured between Golden and Boulder on Highway 93 over a 20 year period to even get them to put a five foot shoulder on the road. Highway 93 carries over 16,000 cars per day on a road that is rated for 8000, and there are no plans to ever improve it beyond what it will be after the underpass is installed.

GL1
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Welcome to the alternate universe of CDOT's priorities. It took over THIRTY people being killed, and countless injured between Golden and Boulder on Highway 93 over a 20 year period to even get them to put a five foot shoulder on the road. Highway 93 carries over 16,000 cars per day on a road that is rated for 8000, and there are no plans to ever improve it beyond what it will be after the underpass is installed.
    At one time I had heard they were going to try and build a bike path along 93 that would go from the Marshall Mesa area all the way to tucker lake bike path. That would be great. I cringe every time I see roadies on 93. Pray for their safety but also question their judgement. Of course I quit riding most roads several years ago when I got hit out of the blue in Golden. The bike path is perfectly fine for me now thanks.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar