mtbr member

Tubeless tires and sidewall protection

OK, not looking to start another what tire is best for the Front Range thread... but I need some opinions

My question is simple. What tubeless tires are you finding work well in rear with good sidewall protection. I'm not too concerned about weight. Seems like I went 2 straight seasons without getting flats on my tubeless setups and now I'm getting flats and tearing sidewalls left and right. I'm not sure if I'm riding harder, charging rocks faster, or what...I've always rode pretty fast through chunky terrain. Maybe I'm just unlucky lately? In 2 weeks I sliced a Conti X-King Protection on my hardtail 29er and both a Bontrager XR-4 and a Specialized Purgatory GRID! on my Pivot Mach 5.7. 29er tire was mounted to Easton Haven rim. 26ers were mounted on rear to ENVE AM rims. All were run with Stan's at around 30PSI.

I just got a Hans Dampf (Tubeless ready, TrailStar, Snakeskin) for the Pivot, and I love it, but it's tight on the rear. They only make a 2.35 size in 26 and it blows up pretty huge on the ENVE AM rim. It fits without rubbing, but there is barely any tire clearance. I love the tire so far but will probably move it to the front at some point and try to find something else for the rear that still has good grip and sidewall protection.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I have had great luck with MAXXIS tires with EXO sidewalls.

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I have had great luck with MAXXIS tires with EXO sidewalls.
    +1. Also had good luck with some of the current Specialized tubeless tires w/ reinforced sidewalls (and the price is nice).

<100%
    You ripped a GRID? That's got to be bad luck. I have never ripped anything that said UST or Armadillo Elite on the sidewall. I prefer the AE's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    You ripped a GRID? That's got to be bad luck. I have never ripped anything that said UST or Armadillo Elite on the sidewall. I prefer the AE's.
    Charging down some rocks at Walker Ranch yes. I was surprised too.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have hard terrible luck with all maxxis and oddly enough good luck with continental. Do you know specialized has a 3 month warranty on their tires, no questions asked?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I have hard terrible luck with all maxxis and oddly enough good luck with continental. Do you know specialized has a 3 month warranty on their tires, no questions asked?
    Thanks, but that tire was out of warranty anyway.
    LMB

mtbr member
    The DHRII now comes in a tubeless ready EXO casing.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I'm having the same problem. Peloton in Fort Collins told me Spec. is going to have new tires out with better sidewall protection. They should have them in about a month. I just put tires on the bike this weekend and at the rate I'm going I will need new ones by then.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    It could be as simple as adding a few PSI. I know I tore the crap out of my sidewalls when I started running lower pressures.
    Try a tire with Apex sidewall. I'm running Trail King 2.4s, if you tear a sidewall on that you're doing something right. (I haven't had as much luck with the Barons, though).

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    I've been using 26 and 29 versions of Kenda Nevegal Tire w/out ANY issues. I've used them for 3 years and year round in all types of terrain, lots of rock gardens. I am 210lbs and run them at 30 to 35 lbs.