Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Tires

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tubeless Tires

I'm looking to upgrade to tubeless tires and was wondering what everyone recommends. I'm currently riding a HT Motobecane 26" with Maxxis Crossmarks, which I really enjoy! I'm just a bit tired of changing tubes.

I moved out here from Indiana last year and still figuring out what type of tires are best on these trails. Most trails in the midwest are hard packed dirt, not the loose stuff here. What do you recommend? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So, are you looking for tubeless conversion *and* tire recommendations? Or just how to convert the Crossmarks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not looking to change out my rims, just tires. I'd love to keep my Crossmarks. Is it possible to convert them to tubeless?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sure. (Almost) Anything can be made tubeless.

Check for a Stan's rim strip kit for your specific wheels.

Alternatively, contact Orange Seal and see if your wheel can be converted with their tape.

In either case, use the Orange Seal sealant, as it doesn't dry out as fast in our climate here.

There are also a number of ghetto tubeless methods. Search around the forums here and there are lots threads about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    In either case, use the Orange Seal sealant, as it doesn't dry out as fast in our climate here.
    Are there issues here with tubeless because of the dry climate?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, Stan's and Caffelatex tend to dry out quickly.

Team Velveeta™
    Sure. (Almost) Anything can be made tubeless.

Check for a Stan's rim strip kit for your specific wheels.

Alternatively, contact Orange Seal and see if your wheel can be converted with their tape.

There are also a number of ghetto tubeless methods. Search around the forums here and there are lots threads about that.
    If you are going to use tires and rims that are not designed to be tubeless, you need to be careful. It can be done obviously, lots of people do it, but be careful about using a tire that slips onto the rim really easily. If it's loose it's quite likely to blow off on you.

I have had good luck using Specialized 2Bliss tires on a Mavic TN-719 rim. I haven't tried Orange Seal, but the next bottle of goop I get will probably be that stuff. Stans works fine for me (but guys, I gotta show you my latest booger! It is spectacular!)

For ghetto setups where there isn't an available factory sealed rimstrip, I really like the stans yellow tape. I use it as the rimstrip on my wheels I run tubes in too. People use duct tape and/or electrician's tape, but the yellow stans stuff works super good and it's really not expensive. I think I've done three wheels from one $5 roll of tape.

Then you need to get a tubeless valve stem. A trick I like to use to set up tubeless is to tape the wheel, at least two or three layers deep. Then use a hot nail to punch a nice round hole in it. Then I use caulk around the valve stem seal. Just put a tiny blob of caulk around your valve hole (inside the rim) slip the stem in and tighten up the nut on the outside of the rim. Then leave it overnight for the caulk to cure.

All that said, tubeless presents a number of challenges, especially ghetto tubeless. You may very well wind up with rims and tires that don't play nicely. You may have headaches getting a tight bead to seat in the clincher hooks. You may futz about endlessly getting the thing to hold air. You will need a compressor...

If all you really want is to not go through so many tubes, get sealant tubes. I ran them for years and years before I went tubeless. Heavy, and the weight is rotating, but they work. I will not say anything specific about the particular mechanical failure that they can help avoid, because that is bad luck. DO NOT SPEAK OF IT! TO SPEAK OF IT IS TO INVITE THE FAILURE INTO YOUR LIFE!

But yeah, the easy way to avoid, uh, replacing tubes is to put sealant in tubes.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention valves.

I used Cafelatex valves when converting my fat wheels and they are awesome!

They are $15 on Amazon for a pair, with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For tires, I have been super impressed with Michelin Wild Race'rs. They are tubeless ready and mounted easily on two sets of wheels (tubeless ready Loaded Precision and UST Shimano, both 29er) They also mounted easily on my daughter's new Shimano UST wheels, but they were a pain on her Easton XC Ones with a Stan's kit.

Mounting aside, I have also found them to be good for our Colorado terrain.

They also make the Wild Grip'r with a beefier tread, if that's your thing.

mtbr member
    For tires, I have been super impressed with Michelin Wild Race'rs. They are tubeless ready and mounted easily on two sets of wheels (tubeless ready Loaded Precision and UST Shimano, both 29er) They also mounted easily on my daughter's new Shimano UST wheels, but they were a pain on her Easton XC Ones with a Stan's kit.

Mounting aside, I have also found them to be good for our Colorado terrain.

They also make the Wild Grip'r with a beefier tread, if that's your thing.
    As maddslacker said these will work and here are some other options. Go with tubeless ready tires. UST's work well too. Maxxis, Continental, Kenda and Specialized 2Bliss all have good offerings in a variety of tire types and tread patterns. I enjoyed my Schwalbe Hans Dampf's. They were a great tubeless ready tire but wore out quickly here in CO. You really want something with a good sidewall casing. Ultra light weigh stuff tends to get ripped up quickly if you ride places beyond Green Mountain and Lair.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks guys. Looking for something with the rolling ability like the Crossmarks, but will still bite into turns. I know that's great for Indiana's hard packed dirt, but seems like you need some tread out here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As you can see from the above replies... just about anything works, with just about any tire. Set it up correctly and you'll be good to go.

I do think it's funny that TomP loves the Stan's yellow tape; he's the first person I've heard say that. I personally think it's garbage- I use 1" black Gorilla Tape and have never had a problem. To each his own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I do think it's funny that TomP loves the Stan's yellow tape; he's the first person I've heard say that. I personally think it's garbage- I use 1" black Gorilla Tape and have never had a problem. To each his own.
    Orange Seal tape has a bit of stretch to it, allowing it to 'snap' into place in the bed of the rim.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You might do yourself a favor and try a larger volume tire with tubes and see if the "changing tube" situation decreases. I presume you are pinch-flatting your tubes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You might do yourself a favor and try a larger volume tire with tubes and see if the "changing tube" situation decreases. I presume you are pinch-flatting your tubes?
    Actually, most of my flats have been by thorns. Only a couple pinch flats. I usually inflate my tires a little more than most people (around 35-39 psi).

Might be a dumb question, but still learning, what do you mean by larger volume? Going from 2.1 to 2.2? Would I have to change out my rims too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crosey View Post
    Actually, most of my flats have been by thorns. Only a couple pinch flats.
    Injecting sealant into tubes will fix this. But it is heavy.

I usually inflate my tires a little more than most people (around 35-39 psi).
    Holy crap .. how do you have ANY traction?!? with tubeless you'll run 25 - 30, or even less depending on the tire construction. I run my 2.25 Michelins at 20/22psi.

Might be a dumb question, but still learning, what do you mean by larger volume? Going from 2.1 to 2.2? Would I have to change out my rims too?
    Yes, that's exactly what it means. A lot of all mountain riders out here run 2.3" - 2.5" wide tires.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Actually, most of my flats have been by thorns. Only a couple pinch flats. I usually inflate my tires a little more than most people (around 35-39 psi).

If you're getting flats from thorns then larger volume will do you squat. Tubeless will definitely help out. That said - be prepared to do battle with setting up ghetto tubeless. It's not for the faint of heart.

As a famous friend of mine once said: "But I mostly run tubeless, which works 97% of the time. The other 3% can be a real f**king b1tch, though. Make you wanna kick puppies and throw tools, in that order."

Just for the record: 35-39lbs is ludicrous psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Holy crap .. how do you have ANY traction?!?
    Mainly tired of pinch flats and just deal with it. Still seem to figure it out. Sounds like I need a coach, might actually be able to keep up with people out here. HAHA.

Like I said, I learned to mtb Indiana 4 years ago. All hard pack, dirt singletrack. Didn't have to worry about much rocks or loose gravel. Inflation didn't seem to make that big of a difference and traction wasn't an issue as long as you weren't riding slicks. Could bank a turn at almost 45 degrees if going fast enough. Learned quick you can't do that here.

connisseur
    35-40psi for a tubed 2.1 tire is perfectly fine. Biggest myth about tubeless is the ability to run stupid low pressures, yes you can run lower pressures and get better traction but there's a limit. Instead of pinched tubes you will get squirmy tires that burp air.

The biggest benefit to tubeless is no more flats duh!, if you set it up right. There's some good advise here for setup but it can be a complete pain till you get the process down, but when you do just install tires and ride till the treads are done.

Team Velveeta™
    Mainly tired of pinch flats and just deal with it. Still seem to figure it out. Sounds like I need a coach, might actually be able to keep up with people out here. HAHA.

Like I said, I learned to mtb Indiana 4 years ago. All hard pack, dirt singletrack. Didn't have to worry about much rocks or loose gravel. Inflation didn't seem to make that big of a difference and traction wasn't an issue as long as you weren't riding slicks. Could bank a turn at almost 45 degrees if going fast enough. Learned quick you can't do that here.
    OK, a couple tips for mountain mountain biking as opposed to midwest mountain biking:

Big fat tire, especially up front. Reduce pressure. Really tinker with it, take it down to the point where your weight and riding style don't cause pinch flats, but just barely. Nobody needs 40 lbs for that. If you're huge you might need 30. I'm huge, I run tubeless and if it's a 2.3 up front, roughly 20 lbs pressure. A little more if it's a 2.1. (narrower tires cost you cornering traction two ways--they need more pressure to not pinch and they are smaller. So you're cornering in rubble on a smaller, harder and less supple tire). You can go with a slightly narrower and less aggressive rear. Most everyone I know does that. I run a 2.2 (typically) at about 25 psi.

Tubeless may or may not have you jacking around fixing your bike less. But even at the same pressure they are more supple because when the casing deflects it doesn't have to deform as much material. Less rolling resistance and better cornering traction at the same pressure using the same tire with a tube.

One other piece of advice: here in Colorado we are ***** about our wheel size. Please either declare that you are going to switch wheel sizes and be a dick about it or start being a dick about your current wheel size.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

One other piece of advice: here in Colorado we are ***** about our wheel size. Please either declare that you are going to switch wheel sizes and be a dick about it or start being a dick about your current wheel size.
    QFT.

I ride 26" wheels and can't believe ANYONE is buying all this goddam hype about 29" wheels and 650b wheels.

Retahded, I tell ya. Completely reTAHded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tom - Thanks for the info! I'm pretty certain at some point I'm going to switch to 29er or 27.5, but right now I can't afford a new bike (So I'm stuck with 26 for a few years). Not trying to be a dick about anything, I'm just trying to learn what's best to maximize my riding experience.

Tickle - Thanks! My biggest reason for switching is to eliminate flats from thorns and run a little lower psi without pinch flats. I really don't want to go with sealant. Not sold on the weight and I've heard it's a mess.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Tickle - Thanks! My biggest reason for switching is to eliminate flats from thorns and run a little lower psi without pinch flats. I really don't want to go with sealant. Not sold on the weight and I've heard it's a mess.
    If you don't go with sealant you are going to be in a world of hurt. Mainly due to the fact that you will continue to get flats from thorns/punctures. But you've heard right - it's a mess.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    As a famous friend of mine once said: "But I mostly run tubeless, which works 97% of the time. The other 3% can be a real f**king b1tch, though. Make you wanna kick puppies and throw tools, in that order."

Just for the record: 35-39lbs is ludicrous psi.
    Spot on, some tire/rim combos just don't work. And my over weight butt runs 35 psi. BTW, more sealant = less problems.

Best way to run tubeless is to just buy fully tubeless rims, I hate messing around with Stans strips / Ghetto. Mavic is my favorite but there are others.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

connisseur
    In my experience, it's more about the tire as any wheel can be converted to tubeless. I would def recommend a tubeless ready or UST tire(same thing), with sealant. Those Crossmarks might not cut it plus you probably want a meatier tire like some have already said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast