mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tubeless for Front Range??

I'm riding a full suspension Stumpjumper and was considering getting a new wheelset. That led me to the issue of going tubeless. I ride the same rocky stuff that you do - I seem to end up on that Mt Falcon climb out of Morrison a lot. Bergen Peak, Dakota Ridge, Roxborough. I don't look for big drops, but you can't ride around here without bouncing around in rocks. I don't pinch flat a lot, but it might be nice to have some extra traction going up or cushion going down. I've heard that screaming down baby heads on Green Mountain is way better with the low pressure of UST

On the other hand, I'm trying to cut some weight and tubeless tires don't help.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

screw road bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I'm riding a full suspension Stumpjumper and was considering getting a new wheelset. That led me to the issue of going tubeless. I ride the same rocky stuff that you do - I seem to end up on that Mt Falcon climb out of Morrison a lot. Bergen Peak, Dakota Ridge, Roxborough. I don't look for big drops, but you can't ride around here without bouncing around in rocks. I don't pinch flat a lot, but it might be nice to have some extra traction going up or cushion going down. I've heard that screaming down baby heads on Green Mountain is way better with the low pressure of UST

On the other hand, I'm trying to cut some weight and tubeless tires don't help.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
    Normal wheelset and stans tubeless system....Saves you money and weight since you can run whatever tires you like with the system...plus you will never have to worry about flatting, ever again(so long as you don't rip your tire).

if not...IRC makes some very light UST tires...the Serac XC, great tire compound and tread pattern, and comprable in weight to a normal tire...only foible is the price and the extremely sticky compound wears out quickly(1-2 months of riding every day).
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

My cup runneth over
    Check out Inexpensive Tubeless Mountain Bike Tire Conversion. I used Stan's for the last two years and switched to the system described above (much cheaper) and it has worked much better for me. I ride the same trails you do but used to get a lot of pinch flats and thorns. Lower pressure and no more flats.

Good luck.