STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010

Tube type tires on tubless wheels??

Has anyone tried a non-tubless tire on a tubless wheel with stans?? Do I have to tubless tires to work with this set up?

Tribe Member
    I have been running Mavic Crossmax SL's with regular tires for years. Have never owned a set of tubless specific tires.

You should look at Stans website to get the full details on setup. But this is what I do:
    mount tires with tubes and pump to 50 psi. this makes the sidewalls seat against the rim. let sit for a day
    deflate only one side and then remove tube and put in 2 scoops of Stans and tubeless valve. air up again to 50psi and then let sit on side for 10 minutes and then flip.

I have used Conti, Panaracer, Specialized and Schwalbe tires with no issue.

This is pretty common setup. Why carry all the extra weight of tubeless when regular tires will work just fine?
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I have been running Mavic Crossmax SL's with regular tires for years. Have never owned a set of tubless specific tires.

You should look at Stans website to get the full details on setup. But this is what I do:
    mount tires with tubes and pump to 50 psi. this makes the sidewalls seat against the rim. let sit for a day
    deflate only one side and then remove tube and put in 2 scoops of Stans and tubeless valve. air up again to 50psi and then let sit on side for 10 minutes and then flip.

I have used Conti, Panaracer, Specialized and Schwalbe tires with no issue.

This is pretty common setup. Why carry all the extra weight of tubeless when regular tires will work just fine?
    That was my thoughts exactly!! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    WTB Velociraptors and Stans. Years of abuse, no problems. Use an air compressor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's not worth it if you descend real hard. If you're more of an xc type rider you probably won't have too many problems, and the weight and $, start to make it worth it.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich

My only caution to this type of setup is if you happen to be a heavier rider.
    Yetirich is right - this does work, but if you are a heavier or more aggressive rider, the last thing you want is sidewall flex and failure of the seal while cornering at speed or descending a steep tech section.
    Trust me, losing tire pressure while cornering an off-camber descent with a dropoff on the downhill side is no fun
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    My only caution to this type of setup is if you happen to be a heavier rider.
    Yetirich is right - this does work, but if you are a heavier or more aggressive rider, the last thing you want is sidewall flex and failure of the seal while cornering at speed or descending a steep tech section.
    Trust me, losing tire pressure while cornering an off-camber descent with a dropoff on the downhill side is no fun
    True...but rider weight has less to do with it in my opinion. I'm 180 which I find to be an average weight and what most stuff is designed around. It's all about how you push down into turns, a light rider can still get plenty of force to rip a tire off. It's either wash out or trust your tires will stay on...and know that sh!t can happen either way.

I have ripped a front tire off the bead in a turn (regular bead on tubeless rims) and it's painful. It was an extremely loud pop and your front end just flys out leaving an unobstrcted path for your chest into the ground. It's not something I'd like to experience again.

So in short...it works, yes (and I continue to do it), but be careful with lower pressures when you get excited in the turns.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    True...but rider weight has less to do with it in my opinion. I'm 180 which I find to be an average weight and what most stuff is designed around. It's all about how you push down into turns, a light rider can still get plenty of force to rip a tire off. It's either wash out or trust your tires will stay on...and know that sh!t can happen either way.

I have ripped a front tire off the bead in a turn (regular bead on tubeless rims) and it's painful. It was an extremely loud pop and your front end just flys out leaving an unobstrcted path for your chest into the ground. It's not something I'd like to experience again.

So in short...it works, yes (and I continue to do it), but be careful with lower pressures when you get excited in the turns.
    Good caution. I'm 250 so I just blamed it on that
    I've found that stronger sidewalls are your friend in the corners for sure
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It this for the front range or the back range? There's a big difference in what tire is best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have been using WTB Mutanoraptors(2.4), stans with xt wheels for over a year. works great for all types of riding. has burped the fron a couple of times on drop-offs. more trouble with the wheels than tubless conversion.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    WTB wolverines on easton havens, beautiful.