ARC Driver

trunk rack advice needed

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and I'm looking for a trunk mounted bike rack for two bikes. What have you guys used that has worked well? Yakima King Joe 2 any good?

i like rocks
    skip the trunk rack junk and go the hitch rack route. in the long term you'll be much happier with something like a yakima holdup (or simular).
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

old skool newbie
    second on the hitch mount - more versatile and easier to put on the car

ARC Driver
    yes but lets say my small subary does not have a trailer hitch...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Then get one. Junkyard?? Or go to uhaul and have them install. I know..added expense that you don't want to incur but it's worth it. I can't imagine having $2,000-$6000 worth of bikes on a $40 rack dangling on the back of your car at 80 mph

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    second on the hitch mount - more versatile and easier to put on the car

mtbr member
    May 2007

Saris Bones

I've used the Saris Bones rack for numerous cross country road trips for years. My rack has always been rock solid on the car and like a good bike dork any one of my bikes is worth more than my car.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, skip the trunk rack, they suck. I had one back in the day (the Saris Bones)- the bikes aren't secure, the rack isn't secure, it wears through the paint on your car, and a lot of bikes don't fit due to non-horizontal top tubes and tight packaging.

I have an "even smaller Subaru" (Impreza) and put a receiver hitch on it, and haul a couple DH bikes on a Thule T2 with my small car- that's a far superior setup than a trunk rack. The rack is secure, the bikes are secure, it's easier to load/unload and nothing gets scratched.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    Yeah, skip the trunk rack, they suck. I had one back in the day (the Saris Bones)- the bikes aren't secure, the rack isn't secure, it wears through the paint on your car, and a lot of bikes don't fit due to non-horizontal top tubes and tight packaging.

Same experience in the past. Even with a securely fastened rack at the beginning of a trip, it would loosen and shift while driving. Scratched paint, even with the rubber pads on the contact points.
    I you own your car, you'll be much happier with the installed hitch mount.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i dislike the saris, it you don't want to go with a roof or hitch mounted solution my favorite trunk rack is the Thule Speedway, it's a little on the expensive side but i've found that its a secure as trunk racks get.

I do agree that both roof and hitch racks are more secure, but they're not for everyone, especially if you only want to use the rack occasionally or for short trips

Disclaimer: I do work at REI and sell these racks, but everything I have said is my personal opinion not the opinion of REI

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by zmiko
    but i've found that its a secure as trunk racks get.
    Which is about as insecure as racks get in general.
    Seriously, get the hitch rack. I'm sure that there are loads of people out there that will tell you that they work "well enough", but the hitch is more secure, easier to take on and off, provides easier access to your hatch, and doesn't silently scream to cradle huffys and pacifics from point a to b.
    I hate to sound elitist or snobbish, but if you showed up to my house to go for a ride and expected me to put my bike on a trunk rack... I would drive separately. Carbon footprints be damned. The bikes will sway and rock. You will need to keep a versatile collection of toe straps and foam noodles and rags and tie-downs to secure them with any kind of piece of mind. The gentle rocking of your bikes and the slow onslaught of road grime will have you cussing about the scars on your bikes. And consider all the extra miles clocked on your hubs when you look in the rear view mirror to find your wheels spinning feverishly at about 75mph as you cruise down the highway.
    Trunk racks are bush-league, friend. Pony up for the hitch and you'll be happier, longer.