Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79

    Trip suggestions for Summer 2013?

    We are planning a trip to CO for Summer 2013, but the destination(s) and details have yet to be decided: A few friends are planning on flying into & out of Denver and staying in one or two locations, focusing on riding. Planning on doing some hiking and/or other activities during non-riding time. Good beer a plus, too...

    The whole trip is pretty loose. We rode Moab/Fruita two years ago and really preferred the flowy Fruita trails to Moab. We haven't even decided on dates yet; it'll probably be in June or July. Can you folks suggest a location or two? We'd like to minimize drive time from Denver, so we were thinking maybe Boulder/Ft. Collins/Co Springs.... The idea being that we fly into Denver and drive to a location, spend a few days riding, then travel to another area and ride the remaining days there, renting a small house or hotel rooms in each. Thinking like 7-10 days riding. Considered Gunnison or similar, but it's obviously a longer drive...worth it?

    A far as skill level, two of the three are average/above riders, and the third rides less. So we probably want to have some intermediate trail options.

    Thanks to anyone who can give us some guidance! I'm happy to return the favor if you're ever visiting Hawaii!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slcdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,161
    For CO's finest, you'll want to head into the high country. If the snow continues to suck this year, you'll be fine in late June. Yes - its definitely worth the drive to Crested Butte! Highly recommended.

    To minimize the drive from Denver, you could stay and ride in Breckenridge. Lots of great riding there and its a fun mountain town. Plus some great day trips from Breck.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    683
    What kind of riding? Shuttle/lift access DH or all mountain, ride up, ride down?

    Several of the resorts have beefed up their lift access trail riding, top of the list is Winter Park, Keystone, and Sol Vista. People say good things about crested butte but I have not been there. Vail has some trails worth note but not a destination. Breck has a good night life but not much for trails on the mountain. Steamboat is working on trails as well, pretty far out but a lot of other stuff to do there. Only other place I would recommend is Durango/ Purgatory but also quite the drive from the metro area.

    If you're coming in for outdoor multi-activity I would highly recommend Grand County, home of Winter Park and Sol Vista, also the west entrance to RMNP. There are lots of nature and outdoors sportsman activities here, though nightlife and "touristy" stuff like are limited pretty much to WP and Grand Lake during the summer months.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: progfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    248
    Another vote for Crested Butte. My wife and I have ridden there for the last 4 years and will go again this year (We also hit Fruita and Moab on the same trips). CB has INCREDIBLE scenery and wonderful flowy trails. Trail 401 alone is worth the drive. If you want to get into a bit of chunk as well, try the Dyke Trail or Doctor Park. To start acclimating to the altitude, it's also nice to ride Hartmann Rocks in Gunnison (It's also a lot cheaper to stay in Gunnison than CB). To have long climbs followed by fantastic winding descents down a mountain with incredible views and shoulder-high wildflowers on either side of you is nothing short of amazing.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    413
    For a summer trip that you are willing to split up into a couple days here and there, i would spend 2 days in cortez and ride the trails there then head up to fruita for a couple days then hit breckenridge for the rest. If you start down in cortez you can ride in moab on the way to fruita/grand junction area and definitely check out the palisade rim trail and then on your way to breck you could stop in eagle or vail and do some great riding, once in breck you have all kinds of options from checking out the trails in salida to riding buffalo creek, golden, boulder, winter park, keystone. You really can't go wrong no matter what you do just depends on what you really want and how hard you want to make it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,573
    And another option you might want to consider is a 7 day point to point ride.

    Mountain Bike Tours | Colorado Mountain Biking Trips

    I did the Durango to Moab route a couple of years ago and it was an amazing adventure. Telluride to Moab is a little bit easier, they say.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,510
    Here is my vote!

    Head out of denver super early and hit up salida for a few days.(3 hour drive) Go out and ride the Monarch Crest Trail and Agate Creek) Drink beer at Amica's and Elevation Brewery. Amica's is in Salida and Elevation is in Poncha Springs.

    Salida is on the way to crested butte and will break up the drive. From Salida heead over to CB via cottomwood pass and ride Doctor's Park over near Crested Butte South.

    In Crested Butte you should ride reno flag bear dead man loops and should hit 401. 401 is overrated in my eyes but a must do ride as well. Brick Oven Pizza has lots of incredible beers on tap and are super bike friendly.

    On the way out of town i would hit hartman's rocks in gunnison. This place is a hidden gem!!!
    Talk to the guys at Tomichi Cycles about ride plans. Walk next door to the bean for coffee and the firebrand for grub

    On the way back to denver i would also hit up Buffalo Creek in Pine. This is a super fun flowy place to ride. The climbs will be much easier than the stuff in the high country so your legs will thank you. Your legs are going to be mad at you so be nice to them for the last day.
    I would grab beers and food at Zoka's afterwards.

    There are lots of other rides that are worth hitting up in salida, crested butte and on the 285 corridor from denver down to crested butte.

    I am sure Tom P will chime in with some other great ride recommendations.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    I would do almost exactly what cbrock450 said..(but would add Fooses on Monarch)

    I used to live in Gunnison and now Denver and in my opinion, his recommendation highlights some of the best riding in the state.. Just be careful not to come to0 early as you might miss out on the Monarch riding as the snow will need to melt..

    Where in Hawaii are you?

  9. #9
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,165
    I third the Salida/CB suggestion. What cbrock is suggesting sounds like a little more riding than you are planning; that said, you can scale down his plan and have a blast.

    I would also suggest an alternative of heading out to Fruita then heading out to Telluride. Take advantage of their free gondola to access some great high country terrain and it all dumps you back in town. The Telluride brewery is probably the finest in the state, to boot.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  10. #10
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    ...I am sure Tom P will chime in with some other great ride recommendations.
    Wow, way to put pressure on a guy!

    Actually I think CBrock summed up a good recommendation or two for you. Here in Salida there are some good options, and I hear about lots of houses that rent for pretty cheap.

    I would push your plans to July if possible, or at least the very last week of June. So far it looks like another poor snow year, which would have high country rides opening up somewhat early, but you never know until you know. The winter (or Spring) could actually give us some dumpage, in which case June would be too early. Even with a poor snow year, June can be a bit limited.

    If you're here, I might suggest getting up to the Continental Divide Trail west of the ghost town of St Elmo. It's got a fair amount of hike-a-bike but the views are spectacular and you are likely to see nobody (unlike the Monarch Crest Trail, where you will see everybody).

    The Crest is a must-do. And if you get this far from Denver, it would be a waste not to go an hour further to Gunny. A day at Hartman Rocks is a good day. And CB is close enough to Gunny that you can easily make day trips and benefit from Gunny's cheaper lodgings. Being in Crested Butte would be better though so you could enjoy the Brick Oven's great food and beer and stagger home without worrying about a DUI...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  11. #11
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Wait until mid-July. Then it won't matter what happens with the snow this winter.

  12. #12
    insert sarcasm here
    Reputation: gbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Here is my vote!

    Salida is on the way to crested butte and will break up the drive. From Salida heead over to CB via cottomwood pass and ride Doctor's Park over near Crested Butte South.

    In Crested Butte you should ride reno flag bear dead man loops and should hit 401. 401 is overrated in my eyes but a must do ride as well. Brick Oven Pizza has lots of incredible beers on tap and are super bike friendly.
    This.

    If you ride Doc Park, make sure you know where the turnoff from the fireroad to the trail is. You wouldn't want to do an extra 10 miles of riding, wondering where the hell the trail is. And no matter what, don't ride the "bonus" spur unless you have a really good map. Ask me how I know

    Also, where's the love for the 403 in CB? In my eyes this is a must do, even more so than the 401 and Doc Park. A lung-busting climb followed by amazing scenery, high speed singletrack, and lots of techy goodness.

    FYI there's free camping just outside of CB if you want to sleep cheap.

  13. #13
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Wait until mid-July. Then it won't matter what happens with the snow this winter.
    Word.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  14. #14
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    ... where's the love for the 403 in CB? In my eyes this is a must do, even more so than the 401 and Doc Park...
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    ...A far as skill level, two of the three are average/above riders, and the third rides less. So we probably want to have some intermediate trail options...
    Leave that dude home the day you do 403.

    I have to say, there's a reason most people favor other CB rides over 403. And that reason is that it's a bastard.

    When I got to 403 at 50 miles into the Classic this fall, after climbing the Slate de Huez, I had some bad words to say to it.

    There is no convenient way to do 403 as it should be done without doing a really big ride. The OP doesn't say what elevation he calls home. Unless he lays his head on a pillow that's above 4,500 feet elevation every night, he better be one fit honcho to enjoy a ride that big. On vacation no less.

    Riding 403 the correct way, south to north, implies either climbing up the Washington Gulch Road (way up), or the Slate de Huez then back on the Gothic Road. To shuttle it is a true PITA, especially for people from out of town who are operating out of a (single) rented car.

    It's a great trail for wearing some tread off your shoes then making your brakes smoke. I actually one time made a little drop of melted rotor that I had to file off later on a descent of 403 down to the Gothic Road. That descent is relatively short and steep given the effort you have to put into getting to the top.

    When you're bothering to do 403, you ought to do 401 as well, which is a huge ride. But if you skip 401 on that journey, you're only riding about 7 miles of singletrack in 3-5 hours. And most any human reading this is going to be walking some of that climb.

    IMO, 403 deserves to be down on the list for most humans. But that's just me.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  15. #15
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    What Tom said - 403 is a short trail (albeit fun) that *should* be combined from town with 401... but that is a big ride.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,510
    I use to live in CB and never understood 403 either!

    Sure it's nice to loop snodgrass, 403 to 401 but that is a lot dusty roads to climb and minimal payoff.

    If I am going to deal with a dirt road for some payoff it's going to be tomichi pass!

    Tom P, I still owe you a few beers for sending us out on that death march! One of the best scenic rides I have ever been on followed by a permagrin descent!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79
    Great suggestions folks. Crested Butte sounds excellent - I'm going to look into it.

    If we were going to stay closer to the metro area, though, and you had to pick two places as "home base", where would those be? Boulder, Ft. Collins? Co Springs? Somewhere else?

    Thanks again!

    ***Although I just posted this, it seems to have appeared much higher in the thread - I must have hit reply on an earlier message, argh****

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    if you stay closer to Denver, make sure you ride South St Vrain/Buchanan Pass area, its my favorite close to home.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79
    Alright - a bunch of great suggestions! Salida seems possible since it appears to be less than 3 hours from Denver. That's a great recommendation, Cbrock450 (and Tom P and everyone else). Maybe we could stay in Salida for the first few days and then head to Crested Butte after that.

    So we should wait until July, I guess. That's no problem. Would it be even better to wait til August? As far as fitness goes, I'm in decent riding shape and I do a lot of climbing, but I live at sea level (Hawaii - Honolulu) so the altitude adjustment could take a little time. The other guys live at sea level too.

    Keep the suggestions coming, folks! This is great.

  20. #20
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Home base close to town: Summit County (Frisco, Silverthorne, Breckenridge).

    Riding around Summit County is arguably as good as Crested Butte. 'Specially if you throw in Vail/Eagle to the mix.

    That said - the Butte wins overall 'cause there aren't any crowds to speak of and the scenery is incredible.

  21. #21
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Home base close to town: Summit County (Frisco, Silverthorne, Breckenridge).

    Riding around Summit County is arguably as good as Crested Butte. 'Specially if you throw in Vail/Eagle to the mix.

    That said - the Butte wins overall 'cause there aren't any crowds to speak of and the scenery is incredible.
    Interesting you throw Eagle/Vail in the mix. I've seen it a couple times in Mountain Flyer, but I never hear about it on here. I've been meaning to go exploring.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    664
    I think that a Salida, Summit county loop, either direction is your best bet. If you are coming late enough in the summer, hit up Monarch Crest in Salida, as well as some other local areas that TomP will fill you in on. When you get to Summit, either head to Breck or Keystone as either will provide access to miles of trail right out your door.

  23. #23
    insert sarcasm here
    Reputation: gbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Leave that dude home the day you do 403.

    I have to say, there's a reason most people favor other CB rides over 403. And that reason is that it's a bastard.

    When I got to 403 at 50 miles into the Classic this fall, after climbing the Slate de Huez, I had some bad words to say to it.

    There is no convenient way to do 403 as it should be done without doing a really big ride. The OP doesn't say what elevation he calls home. Unless he lays his head on a pillow that's above 4,500 feet elevation every night, he better be one fit honcho to enjoy a ride that big. On vacation no less.

    Riding 403 the correct way, south to north, implies either climbing up the Washington Gulch Road (way up), or the Slate de Huez then back on the Gothic Road. To shuttle it is a true PITA, especially for people from out of town who are operating out of a (single) rented car.

    It's a great trail for wearing some tread off your shoes then making your brakes smoke. I actually one time made a little drop of melted rotor that I had to file off later on a descent of 403 down to the Gothic Road. That descent is relatively short and steep given the effort you have to put into getting to the top.

    When you're bothering to do 403, you ought to do 401 as well, which is a huge ride. But if you skip 401 on that journey, you're only riding about 7 miles of singletrack in 3-5 hours. And most any human reading this is going to be walking some of that climb.

    IMO, 403 deserves to be down on the list for most humans. But that's just me.
    On second thought, you're probably right. I suppose the length of time since this past summer has lessened the memory of the excruciating pain that was the climb to the top of 403. I guess you just have to be a glutton for punishment to enjoy the ride.

    As an aside to anyone considering the 403, if you start from Gothic Road and take Snodgrass Trail to Washington Gulch Rd, you effectively double the amount of singletrack ridden.

  24. #24
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    Great suggestions folks. Crested Butte sounds excellent - I'm going to look into it.

    If we were going to stay closer to the metro area, though, and you had to pick two places as "home base", where would those be? Boulder, Ft. Collins? Co Springs? Somewhere else?

    Thanks again!

    ***Although I just posted this, it seems to have appeared much higher in the thread - I must have hit reply on an earlier message, argh****
    If you want to stay close to metro area, you'll sacrifice on epic riding. Your best bet would be to stay in Golden area and check out Buffalo Creek, Centennial Cone (during the day, mid-week), Coors Brewery and the small brew pubs which are slated to be opened by then.

    If you stay in Boulder, you'll gain more night life options but the riding is either technical and strenuous or overcrowded.

    Summit County is within an hour's drive from Denver and has superb riding options.

    Winter Park has lifts and tons of great singletrack sans lifts, also ~1h from Denver.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  25. #25
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    This.

    If you ride Doc Park, make sure you know where the turnoff from the fireroad to the trail is. You wouldn't want to do an extra 10 miles of riding, wondering where the hell the trail is. And no matter what, don't ride the "bonus" spur unless you have a really good map. Ask me how I know

    Bonus spur kicks ass, and is now signed

    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Interesting you throw Eagle/Vail in the mix. I've seen it a couple times in Mountain Flyer, but I never hear about it on here. I've been meaning to go exploring.
    Eagle is good...... Front Range MTB: Eagle, CO


    Can't go wrong with Salida/CB......I am also partial to Breck. As bacon boy stated you could do some great diverse riding out of the Breck area including Eagle, Vail, Breck is endless and then head over the pass and hit up Buffalo Creek on the way back to Denver. All within a two hour drive of Denver......basing out of Breck will put you within an hour of all these rides and a lifetime worth of riding right in Breck.

    Really depends on how much you want to drive.....the drive to Salida/CB isn't bad at all and scenic. Breck is just over an hour away.

  27. #27
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    ...Can't go wrong with Salida/CB......I am also partial to Breck. As bacon boy stated you could do some great diverse riding out of the Breck area including Eagle, Vail, Breck is endless and then head over the pass and hit up Buffalo Creek on the way back to Denver...

    Really depends on how much you want to drive.....the drive to Salida/CB isn't bad at all and scenic. Breck is just over an hour away.
    If you look at coming up here to Salida then going somewhere else west of the front range and then back, the difference is really that you're looking at 1+ hours to get back to Denver from Summit (Breck Area), 4+ hours to get back there from CB.

    We all like CB, but the bacon meister is right about Summit too.

    Quote Originally Posted by _MK
    ...If you stay in Boulder, you'll gain more night life options but the riding is either technical and strenuous or overcrowded...
    To the OP, I think maybe you've gotten an odd view of Boulder. Seems like some people who have little or no experience with CO are under the impression that Boulder is a riding destination on par with Fruita, CB, etc. I haven't ridden much on the FR for quite a few years, but I think of the west side of the Denver Metro area as being better riding, Colo Springs better, Ft Collins better... basically even among Front Range riding, Boulder is down on the list. And the FR pales considerable compared to Winter Park, Summit County, CB, Durango, Salida...

    Boulder is a destination for chasing girls and drinking good beer. There's riding there, but it's like _MK says.

    If you're going to do this, do yourself a favor and choose at least one place back west from the FR to sample.

    My $.02
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  28. #28
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    This.

    If you ride Doc Park, make sure you know where the turnoff from the fireroad to the trail is. You wouldn't want to do an extra 10 miles of riding, wondering where the hell the trail is. And no matter what, don't ride the "bonus" spur unless you have a really good map. Ask me how I know
    Here is a bit of advice for all mt bikers:

    If you are riding in/into an area you are not *intimately* familiar, bring a map, a compass, and KNOW how to use them.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,510
    Some where else for sure. Breck has some amazing trails and you could spend a week riding out there and it would be a great home base. Personally i think you should skip the home base idea and travel around rather than commiting to one place. VRBO and kayak are great search engines to find last minute lodging ideas on the cheap.
    Nothing worse than getting done with a big ride and you have to drive a few hours to get back to home base.

    I would advise you to check out the chamber of commmerce in each of the potential towns to see if there is anything going on the days you plan on being there. If nothing is going on there are tons of cheap motels and hotels or even houses or B&B.

    Ultimately i think everyone in your group needs to decide how much driving do you really want to do while you are out here? I have been on some incredible travel around bike trips but some of them encompassed way too much windshield time.

    Take it from us denver folks....you don't want home base in boulder, c springs or denver.

    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    Great suggestions folks. Crested Butte sounds excellent - I'm going to look into it.

    If we were going to stay closer to the metro area, though, and you had to pick two places as "home base", where would those be? Boulder, Ft. Collins? Co Springs? Somewhere else?

    Thanks again!

    ***Although I just posted this, it seems to have appeared much higher in the thread - I must have hit reply on an earlier message, argh****

  30. #30
    Except when I'm driving
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    170
    MOUNTAINS>metro
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79
    Hmm. I get what you guys are saying about driving and staying different places. It'd be nice to drive an hour or so, ride, and then crash nearby. It would give us a lot more diversity in the riding and other activities, I would imagine, plus I get the impression that it might actually result in LESS driving than having a home base that we are constantly driving back and forth from...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    Hmm. I get what you guys are saying about driving and staying different places. It'd be nice to drive an hour or so, ride, and then crash nearby. It would give us a lot more diversity in the riding and other activities, I would imagine, plus I get the impression that it might actually result in LESS driving than having a home base that we are constantly driving back and forth from...
    Gunnison home base..

    you have Hartmans 10 minutes away.... Dr Park and Crested Butte, 30 minutes away, All the Monarch rides about an hour away..

    You could spend a month and not ride the same trail..

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Gunnison home base..

    you have Hartmans 10 minutes away.... Dr Park and Crested Butte, 30 minutes away, All the Monarch rides about an hour away..

    You could spend a month and not ride the same trail..
    OR:
    Just drive 1.5 hrs to Breck, and not even touch your car for the rest of your stay, riding hundreds of miles of singletrack from your door. Plenty of great bars and restaurants as well as other stuff to do. If you want to drive do a shuttle ride from Kenosha to Breck

    CB is great, so is Salida, but Breck has a lot more to offer and is closer to DIA

    Whatever you do, do not stay on the front range in August, unless you like riding triple digit temps.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    OR:
    Just drive 1.5 hrs to Breck, and not even touch your car for the rest of your stay, riding hundreds of miles of singletrack from your door. Plenty of great bars and restaurants as well as other stuff to do. If you want to drive do a shuttle ride from Kenosha to Breck

    CB is great, so is Salida, but Breck has a lot more to offer and is closer to DIA

    Whatever you do, do not stay on the front range in August, unless you like riding triple digit temps.

    That might work too obviously, but in my opinion, the riding in the Gunny/CB/Monarch area is far superior and more diverse.. but thats just my opinion and I don't know Breck as well as I should..

  35. #35
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    That might work too obviously, but in my opinion, the riding in the Gunny/CB/Monarch area is far superior and more diverse.. but thats just my opinion and I don't know Breck as well as I should..
    You should get to know it... since it's so close. The Gunnison area wins mainly in the lack-of-crowd department. Which is really nice...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You should get to know it... since it's so close. The Gunnison area wins mainly in the lack-of-crowd department. Which is really nice...

    I agree, I promise to spend more time there this summer..

    What are the top 5 rides I must do?

    What I think it cool about Gunnison area is that you get a variety of terrain between CB, Gunnison and Monarch.. There aren't many places like Hartmans and Monarch has some of my favorite rides.. and Dr Park always makes my face hurt from smiling so much...

  37. #37
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    I agree, I promise to spend more time there this summer..

    What are the top 5 rides I must do?

    What I think it cool about Gunnison area is that you get a variety of terrain between CB, Gunnison and Monarch.. There aren't many places like Hartmans and Monarch has some of my favorite rides.. and Dr Park always makes my face hurt from smiling so much...
    You'll get no argument from me. I really need to hit up Hartman Rocks again - it has been quite a few years and from what I understand they have built even *more* trail there.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You'll get no argument from me. I really need to hit up Hartman Rocks again - it has been quite a few years and from what I understand they have built even *more* trail there.
    Hartmans is simply superb, there really are so many trails out there. It helps to know where you are going thats for sure. The town obviously embraces biking so getting trails built isn't like it is around here..

  39. #39
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Hartmans is simply superb, there really are so many trails out there. It helps to know where you are going thats for sure. The town obviously embraces biking so getting trails built isn't like it is around here..
    Yeah... that ain't the town. That's the BLM. I wish we had more BLM land around here.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yeah... that ain't the town. That's the BLM. I wish we had more BLM land around here.
    yes that would be nice..

  41. #41
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yeah... that ain't the town. That's the BLM. I wish we had more BLM land around here.
    I am a big fan of the BLM. We've been able to get the BLM on board and ready to say Yes here in Salida quite effectively in the last 7 or 8 years. Forest? Not so much...

    But I will point out, if you like what's happened at Hartman in the last 15 years you can thank BLM, the community and Dave Wiens. Dave leads Gunnison Trails. With the support of the community and a good relationship with BLM, Dave and GT have gotten it done at Hartman.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    OR:
    Just drive 1.5 hrs to Breck, and not even touch your car for the rest of your stay, riding hundreds of miles of singletrack from your door. Plenty of great bars and restaurants as well as other stuff to do. If you want to drive do a shuttle ride from Kenosha to Breck

    CB is great, so is Salida, but Breck has a lot more to offer and is closer to DIA

    Whatever you do, do not stay on the front range in August, unless you like riding triple digit temps.
    I agree with bipolarbear, station yourself in Brek, review the Brek Epic, and Brek100 course info for great rides you can do from town while leaving the car parked. If you really want to get a road trip around the state, shoot down to tackle the Monarch Crest for the day, or Two Elks in Vail, come up to Steamboat for the day, all these are less than 2 hours out of Brek With limited time, driving around the state will just take away time on the bike.

    Just keep in mind that you can't possibly ride everything in one trip. I always thought of CB as the best of Colorado, but after doing the Brek Epic, and really riding all around Brek, I changed my mind. CB is beautiful and remote, but the restaurants and services in Brek are far better.

  43. #43
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    I don't want to put a damper on this, but I would not try to ride at Hartman in the summer. At least, I wouldn't count on it. I can be fine riding during the summer in 85 degrees and sun at Buff Creek, but 70 degrees and sun in the fall at Hartman just feels like I'm roasting to death. It could be the fact that there is exactly one tree in all of Hartman.

    For the OP, it will be hot. The rest of the areas mentioned are going to be cool and nice. If there is cloud cover or the temperature drops, then Hartman would be worth riding (or if you're used to brutal sun). However, I would not suggest planning to stay there a month in advance. Just my 2 cents.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I agree with bipolarbear, station yourself in Brek, review the Brek Epic, and Brek100 course info for great rides you can do from town while leaving the car parked. If you really want to get a road trip around the state, shoot down to tackle the Monarch Crest for the day, or Two Elks in Vail, come up to Steamboat for the day, all these are less than 2 hours out of Brek With limited time, driving around the state will just take away time on the bike.

    Just keep in mind that you can't possibly ride everything in one trip. I always thought of CB as the best of Colorado, but after doing the Brek Epic, and really riding all around Brek, I changed my mind. CB is beautiful and remote, but the restaurants and services in Brek are far better.
    AND you have the option to rent DH bikes and ride Keystone for a day, or head to Frisco for some dirt jumps. Yeah, Summit Co has options.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79
    Hartman's sounds great - and duly-noted about the heat during the summer. Thing is, I don't know when we'll back back in the area again, so if we're in the area and it's hot, I don't think I could pass it up. Living in Hawaii, it actually does get pretty hot during the summer, and if anything, I can handle the heat. Now, the altitude is another thing....

    Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I think the roadtrip idea sounds good. Getting to see and experience a number of different towns and trails (not to mention people), plus being able to spend more time wherever we like sounds like a great plan.

    The only issue is that we'd need to rent a van or similar to have bike/luggage security.... last time we had a F150 which worked great for lodging to trail, but for a real road trip, I think we need something like a van. If I remember correctly, the van was like 2x the rental price of the F150. I don't suppose anyone has an idea for a way to save on a van or similar from Denver airport and back for 7-10 days?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    I don't want to put a damper on this, but I would not try to ride at Hartman in the summer. At least, I wouldn't count on it. I can be fine riding during the summer in 85 degrees and sun at Buff Creek, but 70 degrees and sun in the fall at Hartman just feels like I'm roasting to death. It could be the fact that there is exactly one tree in all of Hartman.

    For the OP, it will be hot. The rest of the areas mentioned are going to be cool and nice. If there is cloud cover or the temperature drops, then Hartman would be worth riding (or if you're used to brutal sun). However, I would not suggest planning to stay there a month in advance. Just my 2 cents.
    I lived in Gunny for 10 years, it rarely gets too hot to ride.. 70 too hot? you must have had some hot flashes or something .. But, if you do find it hot, just ride in the morning, Gunny gets chilly every night and therefore morning is perfect time to ride.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    413
    Quote from the first page
    " I actually one time made a little drop of melted rotor that I had to file off later on a descent of 403 down to the Gothic Road."

    No you did not ! Have any idea what he melting point of stainless steel is ? Before you would even came close to the melting point the rotor would be glowing bright red and your brake would have failed long before that, and, you would have stopped, bailed or crashed before a complete failure because you would have lost control of the bike. Sounds dramatic but it didn't happen !

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    376
    A great thread! The wife and i are considering a very similiar trip, probably the first week of Sept. Thanks to the OP and all the replies, I'm leaning towards CB or Gunnison myself, gotta do some more research and reading to see what other things are in the area as well. She would love to do some kayaking as well.

    We're undecided if we'll fly in and rent a car or just drive and make it a road trip, plus and minuses on both accounts, if we drove we'd probably car camp, saving some $ in the process.

    Subscribed!

    D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

  49. #49
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    what kind of kayaking? Whitewater or lake?

    September is really my favorite time of year to ride in Colorado, good choice..
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    what kind of kayaking? Whitewater or lake?

    September is really my favorite time of year to ride in Colorado, good choice..
    She is signed up for a white water course in July, but I'd think easy water, rivers or lakes, but after that course who knows! (not trying to hijack this thread). I was planning on getting her an inflatable (Advanced Elements) but as we just picked up a 29" SuperFly for her, we sort of blew the fund on that, but in a couple months we may be in the market again.

    D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •