Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trip out to Breckenridge, Bike Rentals

I'm sure this is a very generic thread type, and I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I'm going for it anyway.

My girlfriend and I are heading out in yo area for a week for some sightseeing, being a tourist in Boulder/Denver, and to get some riding in. We are from New Jersey so instead of shipping our single speed bikes, we are planning on renting them at a local shop. I know from experience that googling and reading trail reviews isn't going to help much, that is why I'm here to bother you.

1) Biggest concern; My girlfriend is 4'11. She rides a XS Specialized and it fits her like a glove. Does anyone carry Specialized or know of a shop that can make something work? Where would YOU rent a bike in Breck/Denver area?

2) Must hit day trip trails? Enjoy mostly flowy swoopy singletrack, 15-20 mile loops would be fun.

3) Must-do things you would prefer.

Flame on.

I think I can.

One more question

What month are you heading out, important for trail suggestions?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great question! I was begining to think this was a joke.
    let's take the long way home

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Woops, May 22- 29.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Swoopy, flowy & end of May = Buffalo Creek

Assuming you're in Denver & not Breckenridge.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Isn't that still "Mud Season" in Summit County?

Most of the ski resorts don't close until mid-April. I would expect there to be plenty of wet trails in the Breckenridge area in late May. Winter Park runs it's hill climb race in mid-June and there are still snow drifts on the trails.

You might be better off looking to rent road bikes. The ride over Vail Pass would be plenty challenging, and a memorable trip, for a visitor from Joisy

If you want mountain biking, lower elevation would probably be a better bet. Buffalo Creek is worth a drive and is maybe a little over an hour from Breckenridge.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thought about the road bike piece as well, but worried that her size is going to be a problem when trying to rent just about anything. Can anyone point me in a direction for a good place to rent? All the places I've found online seem to let me down.

We mostly came to check out the Boulder and the surrounding area, just have a deal in a place in Breckenridge, So we dont mind driving an hour to ride somewhere.

still riding
    may will be questionable in breck. most of the front range should be good, or fruita.

also you may want to acclimatize to the altitude in the denver/boulder area.
    Last edited by Shrederland; 01-18-2010 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How about in Golden- the shop I rented from (golden bikes?) was great and there are a lot of trails in that area

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Even if this lackluster snow pattern continues, only low elevation riding - which can isn't bad, but it's only a small sample of what's avaialable - will be available in Breckenridge/Summit in that time frame. You'll need to head to the low lands to get good quality longer rides in.

Areas within 1.5 hour drive of Breck that have good spring riding:
    Buena Vista/Salida
    Buff Creek
    Eagle (to a lesser extent, Vail)
    Front range open space trail system (If you can take the bickering about who's a douche and who's not )
    Some of the stuff to the south of Leadville like turquoise lake.

Don't know anyone in Summit who rents SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't need a singlespeed, and dont mind the lower elevation rides

Thanks for all the tips, hopefully some of the bike shops I've contacted can get back to me about finding a bike for the lady

Up not down
    Aug 2006
    Well I live in Breck and the way the snow is this year... trails may be ready by May.
    There are a bunch of bike shops in Breck. Colorado Freeride has a a good selection of rentals and Avalanche Sports guys are super cool.. just give both shops a call. Not sure what time of the month in May that they start putting out the bikes for rentals, but I can recall usually sometime in May after they plow the bike path that goes around Lake Dillon.
    You are usually able to (mt.bike) ride the Frisco Penisula by May but the loops aren't very long and it gets boring after a few.. but yeah Buffalo Creek is the place to go that time I also go to Green Mtn and Red Rocks (Matthew Winters) that time of year near the foothills of Denver.

Must things to do: hmmm well depends on what interests you besides biking. There are alot of good watering holes in Breck for post rides. Hit me up if you need some guidance.

Living the High Life
    Have you ever been at a high (9,000+) altitude before? Everyone feels the affects differently regardless of physical fitness. I would advise against anything strenuous in Summit County until you know how you'll react.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Have you ever been at a high (9,000+) altitude before? Everyone feels the affects differently regardless of physical fitness. I would advise against anything strenuous in Summit County until you know how you'll react.
    Ain't that the truth Two beers at the Pub in Winter Park and a ride on my bike back to the Best Western motel...I was ALL over the road, sidewalk and curb. Maybe not that bad, but it was noticable.

Have fun on your trip OP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm sure the altitude will effect us, highest points ive been are in Vermont

We were going to stick to the low lying areas for riding for that very reason, maybe hike in Summit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Good point. My daughter just had some friends come visit from Tucson and we took them to Winter Park skiing. One, who seemed fine during the day, got home and puked all night long.
    We found out he had altitude sickness on a trip to CO a few years earlier as well.
    Some people are just sensitive to it.
    Read up on the basic guidelines for preventing it....
    give yourself time to adjust, drink lots of water, etc.

Living the High Life
    A lot of us here in CO forget that we live at 5 or 6,000 feet. But coming from sea level can be a big shock. I have friends from WI that come out every year, they're all very fit, and one of the guys still got altitude sickness once. We were snowboarding, hiking over 12,000 feet all day and he got a really bad headache and a bit of a nausea.

Most forms of mild altitude sickness (light headed, mild nausea) will wear off after about a day. Drink enough water and get enough sleep.

Take a day or two in Denver as a bit of a stepping stone if you are eying up trails in the mountains. Buffalo Creek is a 45 minute drive from Denver and it has lots of loop options. Keep its a few thousand feet higher in elevation than Denver.

http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?...te=1&p=6514453

Here's a link to Jefferson County trails closer to Denver. http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...e_T56_R108.htm
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

bike rider
    It's guaranteed that there will be no offroad riding in Breckenridge in May. There is always enough late season snow to keep things muddy and snowy then.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    It's guaranteed that there will be no offroad riding in Breckenridge in May. There is always enough late season snow to keep things muddy and snowy then.
    What about Boreas Pass?
    It's a dirt road, but excellent high altitude scenery, good climbing, and probably no cars.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    What about Boreas Pass?
    It's a dirt road, but excellent high altitude scenery, good climbing, and probably no cars.
    Depending on the year there are usually quite a few trails that you can ride in Summit Co, just not the high ones. Flumes, Blue River, Minnie Mine/X10U8, Frisco Nordic Center, Blair Witch, etc. It's almost certain that none of the higher elevation stuff will be open, but usually by mid May, the lower stuff is starting to be ridable. Just always practice good trail ethics.

All that said, The area around Breckenridge doesn't hit it's prime till late June usually, but there is usually some good riding earlier.

Boreas Pass is usually open to car traffic by Memorial day depending on snow. After thay open the gate you can expect to see cars.It is, probably the easiest dirt road ride in the area but it's not what I'd call pristine mountian biking.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Don't bet on it.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Just always practice good trail ethics.
    That's the thing, the lower trails will be partly to mostly dry but shadowed areas and low spots will be wet. Locals mostly drive 30-45 minutes for drier riding. You won't get to ride the better trails in Breck and you'll run into mud on the stuff you do ride. It's just not worth coming to Breck when there's better riding closer to Denver that time of year. I leave town from April 15- June 15 every year. When I get back the majority of trails are just getting dry.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So, now that we are closer to the month, The girlfriend and I have decided to ship our bikes.

The next thing we are worrying about is trails. Now that we are closer to the date, what trails are going to be a sure thing? Not really worried about riding in Breck, mostly front range/low elevation kind of trails. We both SS and aren't looking for grueling climbs. We are looking to enjoy word likes Flowy, Fast, Berms, etc.

Thanks!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Buff Creek, Buff Creek, and more Buff Creek.

Lower trails of West Mag may be good to go by then and would fit the bill too, but BC is really the location for that. Not really close to Breck, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buff Creek, Denver, Golden, Evergreen...nothing in Breck. I think they will get more snow this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast