Goat of Legend

Trip to the front range

Greetings All,
    I will be visiting the last weekend in May with my sister who lives in Westminster, just north of Denver. Could someone turn me on to some trails in the area that I could make a 25-35 mile loop out of. I ride in the Pisgah National Forest of North Carolina with rides of epic proportions on some super technical rainforest, rocky type stuff. I handle most of it on my hardtail. Hopefully I will find a riding partner out of this who likes to do some big rides.

Jeremy Arnold

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Lots of stuff just west of Golden...

including, but not limited to, Dinosaur Ridge/Matthew Winters, White Ranch (my pick), Golden Gate Canyon, and lots of stuff around Red Rocks. Golden Gate might still have some snow in May, so do your reading. I'll be in Australia at that time (sniffle), but post a bit closer to the date, and you're bound to find some eager beavers! We Westerners tend to be pretty nice folks.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Perpetually single track
    Not too many rides of epic proportions on the front range proper, but if you go deeper into National forest you'll find them, my top two suggestions, both on the Colorado trail
    1. Waterton Canyon (to Platter river and back), may have issues with downfall...
    2. Kenosha Pass ( to top of Georgia pass or all to way to Breckenridge for truly epic)...may have issues with snow in may though.....

Otherwise, you could link a bunch of the smaller (around 10 milles each) local front range rides like Sdizzle mentioned for something huge.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    typically front range rides are not 25-35 miles. most start with a long climb. my suggestion would be to suggest a time range and go from there. i rode in gunnison/crested butte for a decade and then came to the front range. i was used to 30-50 mile rides, but denver is a lot different. my favorite (within an hour of denver) for long rides without retracing too much is buffalo creek. you can get a nice 30 miler in 3-5 hours. nice camping too and very few people. be glad to go with you.

ride

Take thee north of Denver friend

Hey Jeremy - the further North you go, the better your chances will be for noncrowded epics. If you want to go big, we've got some great riding in the forests within 1/2 hour of Lyons.

Keep in mind the magnitude of a 25-30 mile ride in steep terrain at significant elevation. There are also plenty of rides that are 15 miles that feel twice the size due to elevation, steep terrain, altitude, and technical riding. Be willing to connect trails via jeep roads, too.

I'm working on a website highlighting cycling in this area. Check my sig and click on the Bike Lyons! logo on the front page.

Fire me an email as you get closer to your trip. I'm game for as big as anyone wants to go. We're about 40 minutes from Westminster.

Otherwise, there's closer riding at White Ranch, outside of Golden. A few good loops and you can connect it to Golden Gate State park via a short dirt road for tons more options.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Like everyone else said, you could link together some FR stuff to come up with some decent mileage. You can string together some of the White Ranch / Golden Gate loops to get something good.

Alot will depend on the weather and snowpack. Hopefully (for water supply and wildfire sake) the stuff up the mountains will be packed in still. But there's always a chance that things up there are dried up and you could easily string together 35-50 of tight techy forested stuff up off the Peak-to-Peak only 45 mins or so from Westminster.

Either way, just send a shout-out a week or two before you head out. There will be good riding available for sure. (Heck, there's good riding right now.) Hopefully one or more of us can meet up with you and lead the way. Good stuff. S

a dad
    Jan 2004

ignazjr, site not working???

ignazjr
    your bikelyons.com doesnt' seem to be working, would like to know more rides around the area as well, really only have been to hall ranch but enjoy that area.

Perpetually single track
    not working huh? I just checked it...took a sec, but it worked:
    http://www.bikelyons.com/

not really any trail info there yet that I saw...looks like a work in progress.

mtbr member
    I second billybobzia about Buffalo Creek. Its about 45-60 minutes SW of Denver (down 285). Its one of my favorite places to go. You can make it as hard or as easy as you like. There's plenty of climbing to be had, but if you have 2 cars, you can do an awesome shuttle and you can get in about 25 miles with very minimal climbing. Not a lot of technical stuff, but lots of fun rolling sections and awesome views.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not there will be snow on the trails in May. I don't think so, but there's a chance.

Afterwards, stopping at the local Bucksnort Saloon is a MUST.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

ride

um, yep

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    not working huh? I just checked it...took a sec, but it worked:
    http://www.bikelyons.com/

not really any trail info there yet that I saw...looks like a work in progress.
    The site is definitely a work in progress. This weekend, I plan to put up a photo gallery of road, mtb, & scenery shots that I've taken over the last year or so. Not too many, but it'll be a good sampler.

The buttons Dirt, Paved, & Group Rides will get pages on them but little content. The other buttons work now but I still need to "fine tune" those pages.

The plan is to add at least 1 road ride and 1 mountain ride per month and build it up slowly - it's pretty labor intensive so I can't throw it all up right away.

Content will be all rides either from town or within a 35 minute drive from town. I've started a list that, when complete, should have approximately 12-15 mtb rides on it. Each "ride" that I put up will list driving time to trailhead, length, approximate ride time, approximate elevation, mileage, what to expect/description and pictures.

That said - it'll take me a while to go out, log all the info, take pics, and get it uploaded. It has been a fun labor of love so far. I love Lyons - it's such a great little town surrounded by great riding that I really want to promote it! The mountain biking up here is superb if you don't mind a jeep road here and there and you're into steep and technical singletrack.

Thanks for checking out the site. Keep checking in on it. I've been working on it and updating it a few times every week!

dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Goat of Legend

Forest Roads

Hey Guys and gals,

I don't mind riding some forest roads to connect stuff. We have to do that all the time here in Pisgah National Forest and its how I get some of the great riding I do here done. I'd rather be on single track as we all would but, reality is reality. Most of the riding I do around here goes from 1500 ft elevation to 6400 ft elevation. That can be in one ride so I understand elevation change. I do understand though that the climate out there is much dryer and that elevation above 8,000 ft can start to affect you if your not used to it.
    I am building a webpage myself on epic mountain biking in this area. Its still a work in progress but check it out at its temporary site:

http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/wncmoun...pics/index.htm

the permenant site will be

www.wncmountaingoatepics.com/index.htm

Jeremy

mtbr member
    To get an idea of what a lot of the terrain is like around here, here's some pics of a trail right off of highway 70 in Golden. Its called Dakota Ridge:

http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/dakota-ridge/

If you like rocky technical stuff, we've got plenty for you.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Check out http://www.trailcentral.com for an extensive list of front range trails.