Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Trestle Bike SKILLS park in DENVER

Opening July 23rd (tentative but very likely) is a 3 year project coming to fruition. Trestle Bike Skills Park at Barnum Park North is a 3 acre park that represents a partnership between the City of Denver and Winter Park Resort. This community based action sports park project gained momentum with Ruby Hill Rail Yard (winter terrain park) that began 5 years ago. This “summer equivalent” will be open year-around (weather permitting) and will provide an urban mountain biking experience to a diverse community and to the entire front range of Colorado. It is free to the public.

The park was designed by Gravity Logic and constructed by professional rider John Cowan. It includes wooden features, slopestyle line, multiple jump lines and a pump track.

Please respect the area until it is completely open.

Wow, the above sounded really official… what I meant to say is – come out to the opening day and check out the awesomeness of Trestle Bike Skills Park! Here are some pictures of the work in progress…they are on FB and on trestlebikepark.com gallery...

My leg feels funny
    I think I just pee'd a little

Thread Terrorist
    Dude, this is pure awesomeness. As soon as WP closes for the season, I'll be there!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I got a tour on Wednesday. Mind=blown. Some of these lines are the real deal, and the possibility for transfers and variety are massive. Soooo stoked. Huge thanks to Denver Parks and Rec, Winter Park and Gravity Logic.
    I gotta admit, seeing Cowan push dirt around then test some of the lines left me a little star struck. I think a DJ bike just eclipsed a new CX bike in the future lineup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i hate living in california sometimes....

Free your heel...
    This thing seemingly sprung up overnight. Makes me wonder why other parks (not Golden) have taken years to construct.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    This thing seemingly sprung up overnight. Makes me wonder why other parks (not Golden) have taken years to construct.
    It wasn't overnight. This one was in the works before Golden got started, but there was some shifting of responsibilities that kept it from getting the green light for construction for a little while. At one point, Flowtron was the guy who was gonna be pushing the dirt.

So a little more detail, FT - how's it compare to Valmont? And IE, when's our fieldtrip?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Free your heel...
    It's obvious alot of hard work and planning have going into this project. Drove by it today, can see the wood ramps from 6th Ave. I work super close, can't wait to ride it.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    FWIW Here's an article in Westword from 2008.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...uild_a_mou.php

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    So a little more detail, FT - how's it compare to Valmont? And IE, when's our fieldtrip?
    I haven't made it to Valmont yet.

But from what I've seen, Barnum is certainly smaller. The variety of lines is pretty awesome though. The potential for lots of transfer lines is great. The pumptrack at the bottom is kinda long and looks fast. They are planning on putting another, smaller pumptrack at the top as well.
    The Barnum project is said to be kind of a "proof of concept" park,. So if things go well there is the potential for more parks in Denver and maybe a biggun sometime in the future at Ruby Hill(or thats the dream, at least). It jives with what WP is doing with the Railyard there in the winter.
    Its been 3 years in the works, but since shovels actually hit dirt, its been built impressively fast. The city has built some infrastructure in there too. Irrigation, sidewalks, some picnic bench platforms.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    I haven't made it to Valmont yet.

But from what I've seen, Barnum is certainly smaller. The variety of lines is pretty awesome though. The potential for lots of transfer lines is great. The pumptrack at the bottom is kinda long and looks fast. They are planning on putting another, smaller pumptrack at the top as well.
    The Barnum project is said to be kind of a "proof of concept" park,. So if things go well there is the potential for more parks in Denver and maybe a biggun sometime in the future at Ruby Hill(or thats the dream, at least). It jives with what WP is doing with the Railyard there in the winter.
    Its been 3 years in the works, but since shovels actually hit dirt, its been built impressively fast. The city has built some infrastructure in there too. Irrigation, sidewalks, some picnic bench platforms.
    Whats the plan for maintenance/water?
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Oh my God; AWESOME!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik View Post
    Whats the plan for maintenance/water?
    Built in irrigation with spickets for hoses and a volly troop of 30 committed to maintain year around...and a fresh set of tools. Hell yeah. Good seeing you today Simcik!

mtbr member
    I drove by last night. The place looks great.

On the note of bike parks: Frisco's has 3 lines running. They were moving dirt for the pump track and dual slalom course, yesterday.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Sounds like the opening day on the 23rd for Barnum has been postponed. Rain delay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sounds like the opening day on the 23rd for Barnum has been postponed. Rain delay.
    Where did you get that info?

Thread Terrorist
    This is so awesome to have. Just think that we didn't have much 2 years ago other than some DJ's being maintained by a few locals. Now...
    Valmont
    Golden
    Barnum
    Frisco
    Ryolite
    Superior
    Lyons
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    The Barnum project is said to be kind of a "proof of concept" park,. So if things go well there is the potential for more parks in Denver and maybe a biggun sometime in the future at Ruby Hill(or thats the dream, at least).
    Well, for what its worth, we're discussing adding in Pocket Bike Park elements in other parks with in Golden. Plans are hatched, we'll keep you up to date! Then we'll be expanding the GBP this fall.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    Where did you get that info?
    Where does one get all their vital updates these days? The Facebook. Bike Denver.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    This is so awesome to have. Just think that we didn't have much 2 years ago other than some DJ's being maintained by a few locals. Now...
    Valmont
    Golden
    Barnum
    Frisco
    Ryolite
    Superior
    Lyons
    Its a good time to be a Mt biker in Colorado!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Where does one get all their vital updates these days? The Facebook. Bike Denver.
    Ohhhhhh. I don't Facebook. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ran into a couple of the Trestle diggers at Valmont on Friday, Devin and (?), who had been at DBP digging in the heat. They said that the opening is supposed to be this Saturday. Can anyone confirm this? It would be great but I wouldn't think that they would pull people away from WP for the opening ceremony with Crankworx going on.

Ink

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Valmont
    Golden
    Barnum
    Frisco
    Ryolite
    Superior
    Lyons
    this needs a sticky with park info and directions

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inkaholic View Post
    Ran into a couple of the Trestle diggers at Valmont on Friday, Devin and (?), who had been at DBP digging in the heat. They said that the opening is supposed to be this Saturday. Can anyone confirm this? It would be great but I wouldn't think that they would pull people away from WP for the opening ceremony with Crankworx going on.

Ink
    I have heard it will rideable on Aug 1, but the grand opening will be the 6th. I haven't heard about this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks flowtron. I will be gone this weekend so I hope the GO will be on the 6th so that I can attend with my kid. We are both excited to have another fun riding spot.

Ink

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anybody get up there today? I was gonna swing by tomorrow after work.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Anyone have any more info about it? I can read there are big lines, but is there kid friendly stuff like Valmont?
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    There are a couple little lines as well, from full on rollers to more table shapes. The park is built on a double fall-line so all the jump lines have a nice slope to them. It also allows for the small stuff to be built on the uphill side of things, then the jumps get bigger as you move downhill. This also allows for a lot of transfer lines...which is cool.

My leg feels funny
    so is it open or what?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    It is. Go ride it.....except not right now because it just rained.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    There are a couple little lines as well, from full on rollers to more table shapes. The park is built on a double fall-line so all the jump lines have a nice slope to them. It also allows for the small stuff to be built on the uphill side of things, then the jumps get bigger as you move downhill. This also allows for a lot of transfer lines...which is cool.
    Thanks..

When you say little lines, do you mean any little lines for 6 year olds?
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    When I talk about jumps for 6yos, I'm talking about Canadian 6yos who drink the blood of Wade Simmons.

joking. yes. there are little rollers and tables, but I honestly have no idea what a 6yo might be capable of.
    Last edited by flowtron; 08-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

My leg feels funny
    It is. Go ride it.....except not right now because it just rained.
    Hurray! When did it open? Today (unofficially)?

Thread Terrorist
    Way cool
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Kaj
    mtbr member
    any pics? I won't be able to ride it till after our back to school rush--so I need the stoke.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just drove by it yesterday...still quite a few orange vested workers with machinery out there around 4:45 pm. Unless they finished last night, I can't see it being unofficially opened yet. I could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Drove by this AM and there are still landscapers moving about. Some of the rollers/tables need a bit of reworking due to bobcat tracks. Same with the pumptrack. The place is a bit muddy right now and there are tire tracks through some of the mud in the smaller lines.

I don't like the way the fence line turns toward the small lines near the bottom (around the manhole) leaving little room for mistakes to the left of the rollers/tables. I guess the beginners will learn to stay right quickly.

Ink

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    It is open for riding. There is still some finishing work occurring for the grand opening, but the hope is to get some riders out there to get the lines ridden in. Friday morning we'll be painting the wood features and hoping they don't get tagged overnight.

So go ride it! Now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So flow,

Does this mean that the Grand Opening will be this coming Saturday?

I will do my part to get over there as often as possible between now and then.

Ink

My leg feels funny
    Just rode it this afternoon, does need some serious packing in but the neighborhood kids are rolling all over the place so lets see what that does . The jump line really needs a berm or wall at the end, you end it going mach 5 going down hill towards a fence. Also the place has all kinds of baby head sized rocks, asphalt and other miscellaneous junk that needs to be picked up (someone threw their old car brake pads out there). Overall the place is pretty fun, I can't wait to see how it is once everything gets packed down and cleaned up.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Just rode it this afternoon, does need some serious packing in but the neighborhood kids are rolling all over the place so lets see what that does . The jump line really needs a berm or wall at the end, you end it going mach 5 going down hill towards a fence. Also the place has all kinds of baby head sized rocks, asphalt and other miscellaneous junk that needs to be picked up (someone threw their old car brake pads out there). Overall the place is pretty fun, I can't wait to see how it is once everything gets packed down and cleaned up.

Nice!

Yup, there will be a berm going in at the bottom of the line. Not sure exactly when, though.

Grand Opening: Sat Aug 6th 10am-2pm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rode a bit this evening. It was a crazy scene with kids going up and down the smaller lines with no care in the world. Or crossing between jumps or on the backsides of the end jump. You need to be looking ahead when the place is busy with kid traffic. Fun time none the less.

Ink

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good time at the Grand Opening today with some very good riders airing it out and having fun. My kid had a blast and wanted to return later in the afternoon.

Gearwhine, it was nice to meet you. Also good to see Scott T. and Flowtron. Thanks to all who made the bike park a reality.

Ink

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Quote Originally Posted by DH Dominator View Post

wow, no helmets, on the local news, and repping MOJO....just one MORE reason why I will never support Mojo Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Park was awesome, we went out there this weekend.
    Thanks Trestle

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi all,

Went today and it was awesome. Several kids (with no helmets!!) and two other adults made for pretty light attendance (probably to be expected on a weekday). The guys that were there were great and the course is super fun. There's definitely a little something for everyone. The course starts with three wooden features and then transitions into dirt jumps, with 5-6 jumps per line. There also is a pump track at the bottom. I appreciated how it didn't take a huge amount of energy to get back to the top of the course.

The Denver Parks and Rec. manager for the park, John Martinez, stopped by and said he was going to move the first wall a bit closer to 6th Ave. to improve the line. He seems to be pretty into getting user feedback. He also was there taking a picture of some tagging that needed to be cleaned up on the backside of the first wall.

I took some pics of the park/riders which can be viewed on my website. Can't post the link here, though, because I have less than 10 posts. The site is called The Good Life Denver. For now try googling it, and perhaps someone with more than 10 posts will put up the link here to make it easier for others.

Enjoy!

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Life Denver View Post
    Hi all,

Went today and it was awesome. Several kids (with no helmets!!) and two other adults made for pretty light attendance (probably to be expected on a weekday). The guys that were there were great and the course is super fun. There's definitely a little something for everyone. The course starts with three wooden features and then transitions into dirt jumps, with 5-6 jumps per line. There also is a pump track at the bottom. I appreciated how it didn't take a huge amount of energy to get back to the top of the course.

The Denver Parks and Rec. manager for the park, John Martinez, stopped by and said he was going to move the first wall a bit closer to 6th Ave. to improve the line. He seems to be pretty into getting user feedback. He also was there taking a picture of some tagging that needed to be cleaned up on the backside of the first wall.

I took some pics of the park/riders which can be viewed on my website. Can't post the link here, though, because I have less than 10 posts. The site is called The Good Life Denver. For now try googling it, and perhaps someone with more than 10 posts will put up the link here to make it easier for others.

Enjoy!

Good Bike Fun: Trestle Bike Skills Course at Barnum North Park | The Good Life Denver

mtbr member
    trolls, helmet trolls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Life Denver View Post
    Several kids (with no helmets!!)
    It was said at the Grand Opening that upwards of 250 helmets would be handed out over the next few weeks to local kids who don't have or cannot afford to get their own. I believe that this will be done by Trestle BP and The City of Denver or Denver Parks and Rec.

Ink

So, what time in the AM is the "adult session" going to start happening?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast