mtbr member

Traveling to Colorado with our dog?

Ok, my wife and I are trying to make up our minds as to bringing our 4 year-old lab on our 3 weeks trip to Colorado this September. She's a great trail dog, even though she sometimes goes off trail because of a suicidal squirrel.... She loves it when we go for rides and she's in great shape. Our plan is also to ride mostly during weekdays, when trails are a lot less crowded, which is what we experienced the past 2 years in September in Colorado. We are planning on going to Salida, Crested Butte, Durango, Curt Gowdy State Park, and other places, depending on weather and recommendations from locals. I already know that we can't necessarely take her with us if we decide to go for more than 3 or 4 hours. So, we were wondering if there are day care places for dogs that would take very good care of her for 6 to 8 hours? We'll be traveling with our small motorhome and staying at different campgrounds so we also want to make sure to find pet-friendly places.

Are there places where we should absolutely not bring our lab? Any "dangers" I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm like you and like to take my buddy with me whenever I can. I'm not sure if I can answer all your questions but I throw out some suggestions and things to keep in mind.

-There are places that do dog day care all around. I would get on the web and check the spots out and plan ahead for the day and location you will be. Some locations may have them and others may not. You will need to call them ahead of time and send them your dog's records.
    -It's been close to 100 degs in areas below 6000-7000 feet a lot this summer, and up above 80 in the mountains even. It's going to be hot, dogs don't do too well in this heat. Short rides with the dog early in the morning or evenings next to a water source would be the best.
    -Get on the web and check out the trails you want to ride, lots of places especially on the front range don't allow dogs off leash or even allow them at all. National Forest Land and BLM Land are your best prospects for dogs.
    -As far as danger goes for your dog; crowded bike trails are no good (but the places you mentioned aren't that crowded), heat, rattlesnakes, prarie dogs carry the plague, motos ect.

Colorado is a pretty dog friendly place, especially when you get away from the populated front range. There are lots of rules around the Denver Metro area (Boulder, Ft. Collins, Golden ect.) because of the amount of people but the further west you go the more freedom you will be able to have with your dog.

mtbr member
    As I mentionned, we intend on riding during the week (in September, outside of the normal vacation window), and honestly, we've been out west for a total of 6 weeks (2010 and 2011), and we have seen very little people on the trails. I would certainly think there would be a fair amount of traffic during the weekends on popular trails. Saw a lot more cows than people on the entire ride on the 401 in Crested Butte... The trails in Park City (Utah) were empty. So many reasons to bring my dog, and so many reasons not too...