Stupid and Dangerous

Transporting with 20mm axels

I'm trying to decide on rack/transport options for my newly built bike with a 20mm axel.

My current transport works well but is a bit complicated; generally I would take the front wheel off of my XC bike and stuff it into the back of my '89 Civic Hatchback. I would then meet my ridding buddy at the trail or his place where I would load my bike on his Yakima roof racks with traditional fork mounts. Being that 2 bikes don't fit well in the back of my Civic my buddy usually did 90% of the driving.

Now that I have the 20mm axel setup I feel the need to figure out a better transport solution. I'm thinking about breaking down and getting a Yakima rack for my Civic but can't decide on what kind of trays to get. I know removing the front wheel is a bit of a PITA but with the Marzocchi QR 20 I don't think it's too terrible. Being that I have a pair of rockymount trays sitting in my garage my first inclination is just to get a Yakima rack use the standard tray I have and get a forkup. I would think that although this setup requires "work" to assemble/disassemble at the trailside it seems to provide a very secure and rigid transport. This would also allow me to use my bike on my buddies racks without forcing him to buy a new tray just for my bike .

The other more convenient options seem to be an older Yakima mount that let's you keep the front tire on (lockjaw or anklebiter) or the newer King Cobra, I also have seen the Sportworks Bob Ratchet that looks to be a nice unit. All of these solutions however seem a little insecure, meaning the bike seems like it will "flop around" on the car a little much.

I guess at this point I'm leaning towards getting a used Yakima setup and going for a forkup as it seems like the cheapest, simplest, most secure solution. Am I missing some flaw in my logic? Is a forkup to much of a PITA to use every day, or will using a forkup wear down my dropouts?

Any real world opinions of any of these applications would be appreciated.

locked - time out
    I use a King Cobra and it has held my bikes just fine, I too was worried about the bikes flopping around, but I have never had problems, and I drive through the canyon (fast) to Evergreen with the bike on top at least once or twice a week.

I have not used any other system, so I can't offer any input there. I do happen to have a friend who is selling his Yakima w/ 2 King Cobras right now, if you decide to go that route.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I use a King Cobra and it has held my bikes just fine, I too was worried about the bikes flopping around, but I have never had problems, and I drive through the canyon (fast) to Evergreen with the bike on top at least once or twice a week.

I have not used any other system, so I can't offer any input there. I do happen to have a friend who is selling his Yakima w/ 2 King Cobras right now, if you decide to go that route.
    Thank's for the info on the Cobras.

I'm interested in your buddies racks but it depends on what kind of $$$ he's looking to get for the set. I think you have my number if not PM me and I'll send it to you again.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I use a home made forkup and a regular xc yakima for my 20mm fork bike.
    The anklebiters seem to work, but if you watch rhem on the highway,
    the bike sure moves around a lot.

If you have access to a welder, a forkup takes about 10 minutes to make.

Professional Lurker
    I have a 50lb "big bike" that I use a 20mm fork up on my XC-oriented Thule Velo Vise. It works, but I don't trust it on long hauls. If you push it from the side, the cross bars bend and the bike mount flexes a whole lot. If I am going long distances I just put the whole bike (sans front wheel) into the back of my Pathfinder. Besides being uncomfortable with the amount of flex, I'm getting super tired of removing 5 bolts to take off the front wheel, and the bolts are starting to show signs of wear...not good. I yearn for the day when it doesn't take 15 minutes to put a freakin' front wheel on!!

With that said, I'm planning on buying either Thule's Super G (made for DH type bikes) similar to the Yakima King Cobra previously mentioned. I've heard nothing but good things about those racks.
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.