NH Biker in Ohio
    Jun 2005

Trais in the boulder Area

I am coming out this saturday the 17th and am looking for some quality singletrack in the boulder area. Unfortunately, I will be unable to pick up my bike the night before so it has to be semi local. Any ideas? I was told that there might be some singletrack in Golden area. However, I don't know the area at all. If anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    -Phil

contains quinine
    What sort of trails are you looking for? Do you have a vehicle? How much time do you have?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Take the bus up to Nederland and ride the West Mag area and try to escape the heat.

Rolling
    Lucky you. It's going to drop to mid 80's this weekend so riding will be nice without going to the mountains...but I have a group going to Winter Park on sunday so if you are game...let me know by PM.

Otherwise...In golden, there is White ranch...lots of climbing with a superb tech DH.

Near Boulder is the Blue dots but you really need a local to show ya.

NEar ned is the West mag network which has some great stuff including a good trail up to the ski area...again, local knowledge it needed cuz the good stuff is not mapped that I know of.

Sourdough near ned is great and mapped...

And Hall Ranch north of Boulder is a fine ride, busy on weekends but there are some good views to enjoy Colorado open scenery. People poo poo Hall a lot but it is a ride with good vibe!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    lidarman has pretty much nailed it. The only thing I'd add is Walker (sorry if it was added already)...

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Near Boulder is the Blue dots but you really need a local to show ya.
    Rich -
    I know a thing or two about Ned and even a little about the dots, but I have a hunch I don't even know the tip of the iceberg. When you gonna be the local to lead a ride up there?
    Tom
    Last edited by rapwithtom; 06-14-2006 at 10:08 PM.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

NH Biker in Ohio
    Jun 2005
    I have pretty much all day Saturday available, I am in town for a wedding and am itching to get some riding in. I do have a car so that isn't an issue. We asked the shop where we rented the bikes from (boulder cycle sport I wanted to try a turner,) trails in the area and they just kind of laughed. I am looking for something with Moderate difficulty my wife is not exactly the best bike handler. I grew up riding in NH, however I have not had the benefit of riding in CO yet. I am looking forward to the trip. My wife spent 7 years in Steamboat, but has very little knowledge of the Boulder area. Thanks for the help.
    -Phil

contains quinine
    Follow Rich's advise. Head to Nederland. You could even do a doubleheader, if so inclined. Ride some in the morning, head back to Ned and grab some grub and chill for lunch, and then head out again.

If you're not adverse to spending $10 on a map, get the Latitude 40 map for Boulder trails - it'll give you some ideas of where to ride. Once you're up there, be friendly and I'll bet you'll get either a mini tour or some full blown ride partners.

Enjoy!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ArseHalls should be SWEET on Saturday!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry to jump on this post but I too will be heading to Boulder for a few days. But I won't get out there until June 23rd. Staying, I hope, until the 25th. Would love to ride what is out there as I have never been to Boulder. 3+ hrs ride would be ideal. (FYI - I am a decent Sport rider, although better going down then up, but usually in top 5 in my age group 40-49). Yes there are more than five guys. :-)
    Thanks
    Pete

VooDoo user.
    West Mag is closed Due to Boulderite infestation. Real nasty.

Sorry.

VooDoo user.
    NEar ned is the West mag network which has some great stuff including a good trail up to the ski area...again, local knowledge it needed cuz the good stuff is not mapped that I know of.

Last I heard the Eldora trails are OFF LIMITS!!! DO NOT ENTER!!!! STRICKTLY ENFORCED!!!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    West Mag is closed Due to Boulderite infestation. Real nasty.

Sorry.
    word... I saw 3 kids riding dirtbikes down a "no motor vehicle" trail at wm, I crossed their path later, and they denied it. I almost killed them...

Those f&@ks have ruined it... I should carry my rifle when I'm riding back there

MK_
    carpe maņana
    You should hit up sourdough. That trail can be ejoyed by both an expert and a beginner. Start off by the Mountain Research station, as that section, heading north, is the easiest. Once you come to brainard lake road, you have a choice of turning around, or descending down sourdough to peaceful valley. That section is significantly harder than the first, but a lot of fun. There is a lot of singletrack to explore over there if you want to make it a long ride.

Another great network is the already mentioned west magnolia, the trailhead for it is at peak to peak. You might get lucky and connect the web of trails into a truly amazing ride or might get really unlucky and spend more time on a jeep road than on singletrack. Good beta is pretty key to those trails. And be careful of some of the houses up there, those people don't look kindly at mountain bikers.

Another great trail, again mentioned, is the Walker Ranch. A beginner will be challenged by the steepness of some of the sections and the technical nature of a few elements, which can be easily walked over. An expert will have a lot of fun clearing the trail. There are a few hidden gems on that trail as well.

White Ranch in Golden is another great suggestion as you can make that ride into whatever length you want. It is easy to navigate, you always stay on bike trail, no matter which turn you take, and there is some tree cover at the top.

Finally, a little further out, is a Deer Creek Valley. It is a great, fairly steep climb, with a killer tech section in the middle, followed by a couple sweet loops up top and a killer descent.

I would stay away from Dakota Ridge with a beginner.

Apex could be a lot of fun. The few elements which were killer tech problems were sanitized into sections anyone can attempt and most will clear with little problem. Nice loop options like 'pick n sledge', grubstake, sluicebox and bonanza. You can add as much singletrack to the main trail as you want. The descent down enchanted forrest is obligatory as that's some of the primest descending in colorado. The trail get jam packed on the weekends, though.

I'd say Sourdough would be your best ride, walker would also be great. Apex if you don't mind the crowd and deer creek if you don't mind the drive. White is fantastic as well, but it is quite a grunt to get to the good stuff up top. West mag would very likely suck as knowing the network is key.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Another great trail, again mentioned, is the Walker Ranch. A beginner will be challenged by the steepness of some of the sections and the technical nature of a few elements, which can be easily walked over. An expert will have a lot of fun clearing the trail. There are a few hidden gems on that trail as well.
    Even experts cannot clear this trail. Only superhumans will find the trail 100% rideable. It's got quite the hike-a-bike section in the middle (but still an awesome ride).

crashes in parkinglot
    they haven't made all of walker wheelchair accesable yet? I haven't been there in don't know how long.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger
    Even experts cannot clear this trail. Only superhumans will find the trail 100% rideable. It's got quite the hike-a-bike section in the middle (but still an awesome ride).
    Yeah, even superhumans would be put off by the consequences of falling off the cliff.

Since we're on the subject. I just rode Walker today and man was it friggin unbelievably dissapointing! Some major sanitizing was done! It totally ruined the first section (going right) and the uphill that follows past the hike-a-bike! It is so buff now you can rail it on a fully rigid. Totally unacceptable. What in the world were these guys thinking!?!?!?! Anywhere it was wide enough for a bulldozer, it got bulldozed into a smooth trail. WTF?????? It is getting really aggrevating, all these sanitizing work that kills the tech aspects of all these Front Range trails!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moment

Last I heard the Eldora trails are OFF LIMITS!!! DO NOT ENTER!!!! STRICKTLY ENFORCED!!!
    Exactly. You cannot access the Eldora trails legally.