mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Trails near Aurora?

Hey, I'm new to the area and I was wondering if there are any good off-road trails near the Aurora area? I'm not looking for anything technical, just a nice dirt road that I can hop onto for a quick spin after work.

mtbr member

not much really

Delany Park next Aurora Community College, then south along tower creek has some trails. Cherry Creek park has a fair amount of trail mileage all flat but fast with wide open sight lines. The only thing approaching technical is Hidden Mesa in Franktown. Good luck, sucks being an hour from the mountains.

Got single track/speed?

Don't go to Cherry Creek Park without Slime tubes

Lots of goat heads, but there is single track on the SW side. It's also not too bad in the winter time. The XC skiers pack the trails down when there's lots of snow.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

H.m.

Hidden Mesa is amazing for East side trail rides. There is a lop that is about eight miles long, with a 1000 foot climb that is a bit gnarly at the top....tough to get up the last loose gravel pitch of several hundred feet! The scenery at the top is amazing with views in all directions. Hit me up if you want a riding partner.

mtbr member
    the best ride in aurora is pena blvd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pena? ON the road? I hate the road. Cars scare me!

Thanks for the info! I will check those places out and keep exploring.

I haven't really done much technical riding in a while. I lived in Phoenix for the last few years and I always thought it was too hot to bike. I ordered a new bike, so I'll be looking to get back into it more once that comes in. Until then, I'll be rocking my $25, ride around the college campus, schwinn.

mtbr member

tour

shoot me a PM if you want a tour, I also have some GPS data I can e-mail

mtbr member
    If you're going to ride out that-a-way, convert your tires to tubeless. Otherwise, the goatheads will drive you absolutely crazy.

Mind you, no trail East of say... Golden is THAT much fun to ride. Sometimes it's better than nothing, but that's about it.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Like others said, there's not a lot of off-road riding, but Aurora does have some pretty good paved bike trails, check out the Cherry Creek path and Cherry Creek Spillway, and Highline Canal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I went to Cherry Creek State Park today and found some of that single track. I enjoyed the ride. I rode in on the Cherry Creek paved spillway trail from some skate park and then rode around a bit in the dirt. I might try to get out and explore some more tomorrow, depending on how warm it is. I'm always looking for nice easy trails to explore. I was winded after going up and down a few of those rolling hills today, so I'm going to have to work on getting into better shape before I decide to tackle the mountains.

I'm hoping my new bike helps me. The one I have now was a pawn shop bike just so I had something to ride around. The downside is that it only has 24" tires on there. Any chance I could convert it to 26"? Would I have to change the gearing? Or is it just as simple as changing the wheels? I'm planning on keeping it around as a backup bike and maybe putting some road oriented tires on there for the paved trail riding around here, or as something my friends can use if they come here to visit.

Members who have read this thread: 0