mtbmike

Trails are a Mess... Springbrook Loop CLOSED

OSMP is taking the unpecedented step to close the Springbrook Loop to prevent further damage to the trail.

BMA applauds this move.

This weather sucks rocks. Thanks for supporting this closure.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Good!

I am so tired of riding past the MM and DD parking lots and seeing a ton of idiots with bikes absolutely clogged with mud - then riding there when it's dry and finding giant ruts and tons of evidence of off-trail riding (and from hiking, and giant holes from horse hooves).

I hope they ticket the crap out of anyone who's up there in defiance of the closure.

We need trail conditions signs at every trailhead.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike1
    OSMP is taking the unpecedented step to close the Springbrook Loop to prevent further damage to the trail.

BMA applauds this move.

This weather sucks rocks. Thanks for supporting this closure.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the county is simply not staffed to do this but trail closures for bikes and horses especially, should be posted and enforced when they are so muddy. That just kills me. I guess they just don't realize the impact of doing that. Some trails should have a gate somewhere near the trailhead or parking lot that are closed during these times- that SHOULD at least educate the uninformed.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    On the one hand I agree that it's great to see them closing the trail, but from a management standpoint, asking a Parks employee to go and close every trailhead and trail entrance any time it rains is a lot to expect don't you think? (El Paso County employees only work 4 days/wk, City of CS has no employees left to close trails)

Maybe it's time for the regional clubs to start working on PSA's to get the message out to tourist and non-club members? Billboards and radio ads aren't that expensive when compared to rebuilding trails and even worse damaged relations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I understand but the local mtb orgs and the county can utilize volunteers like the Mountain Bike Patrol and local riders who are given direction by the county or trail "owners" in respective cases.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Boulderites that can't see the forest for the trees? Color me shocked.

I don't know how we should go about it but if the trails need to be closed then they should be closed and fines should be stiff enough to make people think twice. The trail that leaves from the beginning of N. Foothills Hwy. in North Boulder got a whole new trail next to the original one over the winter. Maybe it should have just been closed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear it. Spring brook seems to be a slow dryer. The trail leading up to it is also frequently muddy too.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Boulderites that can't see the forest for the trees? Color me shocked.

I don't care how muddy it is, if I don't get my training ride in I won't be able fit back into this skin suit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agree

"I am so tired of riding past the MM and DD parking lots and seeing a ton of idiots with bikes absolutely clogged with mud - then riding there when it's dry and finding giant ruts and tons of evidence of off-trail riding (and from hiking, and giant holes from horse hooves)."

Yes I am on the MM all the time when its dry and see that stuff every time. Doesn't anybody road ride, or run?? However to be honest, I have no idea the name of most trails...where is Springbrook??

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I understand but the local mtb orgs and the county can utilize volunteers like the Mountain Bike Patrol and local riders who are given direction by the county or trail "owners" in respective cases.

They do, but we can't ride it when it's closed either.

skillz to pay billz
    got about 30 yrds of dry singletrack on mid mag. then turned around. The road is great though out to west mag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trails are a Mess... Springbrook Loop CLOSED-mag_maycember.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Noob, I thought that part of magnolia was closed, or did they do a reroute. Wasn't it something about a shooting range?

skillz to pay billz
    this is just around the mid point turn out. Just a short section was 'closed' near the shooting a bit west.