mtbr member

... and if we just ... Trails like the "Flying J"

So my girlfriend and I drove out to Morrison today and rode what we thought was "Lair of the Bear".....

We wound up going down bear creek trail until we turned left and headed up some steeper switchback trail, the "newer" version of Lair of the Bear as we were told by a very nice guy passing us by. Pretty sustained stuff....

Question 1: Would this trail get an "Easy" "Moderate" or "Difficult" grade to you.

We then decided after consulting a guide book to head out to Conifer and check out a trail called the "Flying J". It was relatively close within 20 minutes drive or so... so we hit it.

What a beautiful area to ride! I found the trail to be peaceful, alot less crowded and very conducive to our ability level.

Question 2: If you have ridden this trail can you recommend something similar. We really enjoyed that "Deep Woods" feel about it ....with an easier grade.

We both found this area to be very relaxing and enjoyable for a Sunday ride. Please keep this in mind with your recommendations ...we're not racers...just weekend riders.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to reply thoughtfully.
    Last edited by NY2CO; 05-07-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    '06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    lair of the bear would most likely considered to be a moderate ride. It's not too technical but it is difficult if you have never ridden before due to the consistency in the climbs.

It is a great ride, but for an introduction there is better.

I'm glad you found the flying J. I've never ridden there personally but have been by it a few times and it looks like it's pretty fun.

There is an jeffco open space park called meyers.
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...ce_T56_R15.htm

This would most likely be your next step. It has a bit more climbing but nothing too difficult. and it's a blast.

From there you will probably be able to tackle lairodabear!

Good luck and stick with it. It only gets funner.

Your bike sucks
    Bear Creek at LOTB is probably considered a 'moderate' ride.

Myers Ranch is close to Flying J and a good short ride w/ a little more climbing than Flying J. Centennial Cone is open off of 6th ave and is a good out and back for you but beware that it has alternate use days on the weekend. Even days MTB, odd days hiker.