Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Smile Trails close to the door..

Highlands ranch certainly isn't as trail-worthy as some other spots on the FR, but sometimes what the doctor ordered is whats closest to the homestead.

The weather was supposed to get cold, so I decided to get some spin time in before it (snow) arrived. Wildcat reserve is about a mile from my front door, so I headed there.

Its not super technical or difficult in any way, but its a nice mixture of flowy trails, hops and views. Hit it fast and you can get the heart pumping pretty good. It is supposedly was built for residents only, but I have never seen anyone checking ID. As a matter of fact, on this day I was the only one there to enjoy it.

Please share the rides that are closest to your doors..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Three Phase; 02-09-2009 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice shots

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Probably the closest:

Last edited by SkaredShtles; 02-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Bad Andy
    That actually looks like a fun little trail.
    I may have to poach it sometime wth the family.
    If ID'd - I'll tell them I'm visiting one of you fine HR folks from MTBR - would I be legal then?
    My closest is Apex - 1 minute ride from my house, and I think we all know enough about Apex that no pix or description are needed!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    If ID'd - I'll tell them I'm visiting one of you fine HR folks from MTBR - would I be legal then?
    I would say..... umm....yes.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    My closest is Apex - 1 minute ride from my house, and I think we all know enough about Apex that no pix or description are needed!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    These are probably the closest:

Very nice shtles, you are lucky. Sometimes its a pain in the ass to have to drive 20mins or more to get somewhere like that.

mtbr member
    These are probably the closest:

Poaching much these days Skared? That is,um, unless you live in that valley.

friend of Apex

CX adventures in the northern burbs

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I might be wrong but didn't Wildcat Mountain close on January 1st for the winter? I rode up there on December 31st and the East-West trail leading up to it was an absolute mudpit, and I thought I remembered seeing a sign posted. That might've been why you didn't see anyone.

I've been up there a couple of times. There's a guy that sits at the gate checking ID's on some Saturdays and Sundays when the weather is nice. He's pretty cool though, he will let anyone in as long as one member of their group is an HRCA member and has their card. Most people just wait till he leaves to go in though.

The watering hole loop is fun if you do it backwards (climbing up those rocks), and the whole area is very pretty. Its just a nice relaxing ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live in Highlands Ranch and ride those trails often. There is a seasonal closure for the backcountry trails from Jan 1 to Mar 31. Apparently there is a lot of deer and elk that winter there and they don't want people intruding on them. There are some other singletrack trails above Mountain Vista High School near Highlands Point (6,300 ft and highest point in the ranch). Those are short but open all year and usually dry except after it snows. I can ride from my garage and get a nice ten mile ride (including bike paths) from my house with almost 1,000 ft of gain.

I would like to ride the Ken Caryl trails but their website says residents only and they will ticket for trespassing if they catch you. They have full time rangers and volunteers. I did get a hike in there last week and didn't see any rangers. The upper trails are still snowy/icy/muddy.

Stayin' Puft
    So the Wildcat trail system is indeed closed until March 28th with chains on the gate last I looked so you must have had to hop something:
    http://www.hrcaonline.org/PDFs/HRCA/PDF411.pdf

I ride by that all the time and live about a mile away from there also...I have been honoring the closure of the loops however...I did notice tracks over the fence on my ride Saturday and thought...huh...so folks are poaching it during the closure. Might not be a good time to be advertising that on mtbr. In theory they say it is closed because of wildlife, which is a load of crap because what they do is lease it out to ranchers in the winter and there is a herd of cows back there. Speaking of crap, last spring when they re-opened it there were many cowpies all over I am surprised the trail looks so clean in your pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I heard they closed SourDough to bikes for the coming season so I'm SOOL.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I heard they closed SourDough to bikes for the coming season so I'm SOOL.

tell me you're joking.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Poaching much these days Skared? That is,um, unless you live in that valley.
    Come on, man... I got FRIENDS. Friends that DO live up there.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    Very nice shtles, you are lucky. Sometimes its a pain in the ass to have to drive 20mins or more to get somewhere like that.
    Yeah, I think it takes him 18 minutes

Thread Terrorist
    I live directly next to the Mt. Galbraith Trail (about 10 seconds from the front door).

However, you can't ride it.

I'm 2 minutes (via bike) to Chimney Gulch. That's about as close as it gets!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Yeah, I think it takes him 18 minutes
    Maybe to RIDE there...

Thread Terrorist
    Maybe to RIDE there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    tell me you're joking.
    C'mon, didn't I get you with a similar post last year about this time? No, it's fine.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    C'mon, didn't I get you with a similar post last year about this time? No, it's fine.
    Yeah, everyone knows that SSV and BP are the trails that going to be closed, not Sourdough. sheesh.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

skillz to pay billz
    just making sure.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    So there is an elk herd that hangs out at Wildcat Mountain? Everytime I go there all I see is coyotes and rich people. When do the elk usually show up? That would be an awesome sight to see, especially so close to suburbia.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    So there is an elk herd that hangs out at Wildcat Mountain? Everytime I go there all I see is coyotes and rich people. When do the elk usually show up? That would be an awesome sight to see, especially so close to suburbia.

Sometimes cougars wander around up there too, looking for young bucks.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    So did they open Monarch trails early or ????

Andy I'll get you in there I have my "card" and I've got several customers (actually working in that valley the rest of this week) in the other valley shown on this thread, that is some stuff i've been wanting to explore!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

ride

my local

Hall Ranch, Lyons. I can get to the top of the loop about 30 minutes from the door if I go up Antelope.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast