The Notorious S.L.O

Trails in/around Near Gunnison

Planning a long weekend with the family in Gunnison, taking the MH and staying at the KOA, (if it were up to me, I would be tent camping on Slate river road in CB).
    Are there any worthwhile mtb trails in the Gunnison/Blue Mesa area?
    Will drive up to CB to try to hit up 401, but looking for something closer.
    Thanks.

Hmm, last weekend in May.....CB trails may not be ready to go... will have to make some calls.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Your bike is incorrigible
    Are you kidding me? Hartman is only one of the premier places to ride in the state. Just pick up one of the cheap trail maps in town and ride there for a few days. Forget about CB.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Are you kidding me? Hartman is only one of the premier places to ride in the state. Just pick up one of the cheap trail maps in town and ride there for a few days. Forget about CB.
    (hat in hand, shuffling my feet), Sounds like the Hartman place is something that I should be aware of, I will check it out, thanks.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Team Velveeta™

Growler

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    (hat in hand, shuffling my feet), Sounds like the Hartman place is something that I should be aware of, I will check it out, thanks.
    Hartman is utterly sweet. And the KOA is pretty much right on top of it. KOA Dave is one of the coolest people you'll ever meet...

Now then, this weekend is not only the Memorial Day Weekend, it is also the Gunnison Growler weekend. Mountain Bike Race. A big one. Be aware that you'll find a 32-mile course roped off out in Hartman. Saturday is the half growler (1 lap), Sunday is the Full Growler (2 laps). Hartman is quite vast, so there's lots to ride that won't be on course. Furthermore, everybody will be cool, the growler is that kind of event. But if you are riding on the course, do be prepared to yield trail to the racers. You'll be sharing the KOA with LOTS of racers.

Half Growler should be pretty much wrapped up by mid-afternoon. It starts at 9 am with a neutral roll-out from downtown Gunny (you'll see a herd go by the KOA at about ten after 9). The full is most of the day, starts at 7 AM.

I'm going to be there running an aid station. If I was there at the KOA for a non-race recreation weekend, Saturday I would wait about half an hour after the last racer went out on course and then ride it the same direction as the racers are. The Growler course does take a person on a tour of much of Hartman's best. You'd be able to follow a really good route without needing a map, just follow the course markings.

Sunday? No. Stay off course until mid-afternoon. There are some full-on pros who are in it to win it. They finish their first laps astonishingly fast. Being in their way as they hit the second lap would be quite douchified.

KOA Dave will be able to sell you a map for Hartman. Perhaps one of the racers will have a map of the course, so you could note on your map where you might want to avoid.

Enjoy.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

lucky enough
    Yea do a search for Hartman Rocks. Good place to ride in May!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This.

When CB is snowed in Hartman Rocks is a no-brainer.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Now then, this weekend is not only the Memorial Day Weekend, it is also the Gunnison Growler weekend. Mountain Bike Race. A big one. Be aware that you'll find a 32-mile course roped off. Saturday is the half growler (1 lap), Sunday is the Full Growler (2 laps). Hartman is quite vast, so there's lots to ride that won't be on course. Furthermore, everybody will be cool, the growler is that kind of event. But if you are riding on the course, do be prepared to yield trail to the racers. You'll be sharing the KOA with LOTS of racers.
    Here's the map of the race
    http://gunnisontrails.com/wp-content...-Clockwise.pdf
    There is a running race at Hartman on Monday too.

Look me up - Should have my dark green Jeep Grand Cherokee, 15 year old son, black Cannondale Scalpel (and hopefully the white GT Zaskar as well). Will be at the KOA through Sat night at least - have Sunday night reserved as well, but not sure if we will stay - lots o work to do on the home front.
    A lot of us from the forum will be at the KOA.
    Old Codger

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    ...Look me up - Should have my dark green Jeep Grand Cherokee, 15 year old son, black Cannondale Scalpel (and hopefully the white GT Zaskar as well). Will be at the KOA through Sat night at least - have Sunday night reserved as well, but not sure if we will stay - lots o work to do on the home front.
    A lot of us from the forum will be at the KOA.
    Cool. I will keep my eyes open. At present I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in the KOA or out in the southern part of Hartman where my aid station will be. I may not go over until Saturday morning, then Sunday morning I need to be out there and set up kind of early since the Full starts at 7. Friends have a spot in the CG and I may just hang out with them and drink beer Friday night.

If you're looking for me, I am a remarkably handsome man, 5'3" and 375 lbs.

Wait, no, that was just a dream...

Six footer. Not too terribly skinny. Hair on chin, not on head. Beater '89 Toyota 4x4 pickup, faded red. Often wearing a tan cap. Usually intoxicated.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Sounds like I am in luck, as my trip is not till next weekend, 5/31. Spoke with KOA Dave on the phone when the website crapped out me, good dude.

Thanks for responses.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Team Velveeta™
    Sounds like I am in luck, as my trip is not till next weekend, 5/31. Spoke with KOA Dave on the phone when the website crapped out me, good dude.

Thanks for responses.
    Well good deal. You've got a treat coming. Hartman is a great place to explore and the KOA is the ideal place to stay for exploring there. It's really one of the nicest commercial CGs I've ever stayed at. Get the map for Hartman, but I'd advise you to also refer to the Growler race course map that bad_andy posted for ideas.

You likey.

You know, camping out in Hartman is fine, so long as you can find a level spot with some trees. Just so you know that you can "rough it" for a night or two if you get tired of the KOA. There is a back entrance east of town that is easier going than the main entrance with the monster hill.

PS: My first post wasn't meant to be condescending. It was more of an excited response to turning someone else on to Hartman.

The Notorious S.L.O
    You know, camping out in Hartman is fine, so long as you can find a level spot with some trees. Just so you know that you can "rough it" for a night or two if you get tired of the KOA. There is a back entrance east of town that is easier going than the main entrance with the monster hill.

PS: My first post wasn't meant to be condescending. It was more of an excited response to turning someone else on to Hartman.
    No offense taken, just feeling like nube as I have never heard of it, used to go CB ever other year, never even thought about Gunnison. I still may get my tent trip to CB later, but this trip includes my son's girlfriends, so some level of civility is required, hence the MH and the KOA.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Team Velveeta™
    ... this trip includes my son's girlfriends, so some level of civility is required, hence the MH and the KOA.
    Your son has more than one girlfriend travelling with him at once?! Damn, he's my hero. Better give that show some privacy once in a while man!

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Your son has more than one girlfriend travelling with him at once?! Damn, he's my hero. Better give that show some privacy once in a while man!
    My Arkansa public education is showing....two sons with one girlfriend each.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

The one caveat I feel I need to express is that Hartman gets damned hot. This is partly because there are no trees on the trails. 75 degrees there can feel like 90. See, if I were going to spend time there in the lap of luxury (KOA), I would bring my fishing gear and go up to Almont. My personal favorite is a stretch along the Taylor midway between Almont and the reservoir. But the point is you are going to need to get away from the heat sometimes.

Team Velveeta™
    The one caveat I feel I need to express is that Hartman gets damned hot. This is partly because there are no trees on the trails. 75 degrees there can feel like 90. See, if I were going to spend time there in the lap of luxury (KOA), I would bring my fishing gear and go up to Almont. My personal favorite is a stretch along the Taylor midway between Almont and the reservoir. But the point is you are going to need to get away from the heat sometimes.
    True that it can get hot out in the Hartman sage brush, but you know what? For me, so far in 2013 heat just hasn't really been a big problem. Now, freezing my azz off, that's been a problem. Even in April and a good part of May...

I like fishing and the Taylor is beautiful, but personally I'm ready to get a little uncomfortably warm. (he says, as he looks outside and sees that his after-work bike ride may involve dodging a rain storm AGAIN).

mtbr member
    A huge +1 for KOA Dave. Met him in 2010 when my wife and I spent 3 nights at the KOA in September. Rode Hartman Rocks for 2 days and we plan on going back some day.

Cheers from Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We got a whole crew from Golden staying at the KOA and doing the half. Gonna be fun!