p0P

Trailmark neighborhood trail access?

Moving to the Trailmark neighborhood across from Chatfield Res. - and just wondering if anyone knows if there is access to Deer Creek Canyon park via singletrack/backroads - without having to ride Deer Creek Canyon Rd?
    Basically I'm hoping to be able to get some good ridin right from my doorstep.

Looking at Google Earth it is theoretically possible... but I realize Lockheed-Martin owns a good portion of that land adjacent to the park... so I may be out of luck.

Much thanks from a long time lurker...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not yet. Last time I talked to the people at Jeffco they were still in the planning stages to connect the "Two Brands" trail next to Trailmark with the Deer Creek system. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with lockheed martin. You can ride from the neighborhood to the trailhead in about 20 min. which includes some road. Welcome to the neighborhood!

p0P
    Thanks!
    Did a search for "Trailmark" after I posted and saw a similar thread...
    It sounds like it has been discussed before... (guess I should have searched first)

BTW, do you have connections with people at Jeffco? I would be interested in helping lobby for such a trail...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No connections, but I've called them and spoken to rep's at different events and it sounds like this is something they really want to complete. They're always looking for volunteers though......

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think they are starting construction in the spring on a bridge that connects the Trailmark trails to "something". Not sure if that is Deer Creek or not.

p0P
    Thanks for the info guys - I may just see about volunteering to help build more trails (as a mtn biker since 91' or so - I figure it's time I started contributing back!)

ALSO proximity to the mountains was one of our main reasons for moving to Trailmark - so the way I see it, the more trails I can help get put in, the more value is added to the neighborhood!

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    leepatrick - I live in TM. A house near me just sold/closed. Are you by chance moving to Johnson Ct.?

p0P
    Big Virgil -

We are actually on W. Finland Dr.
    Seems like the homes out there are in pretty good demand... we're really excited!
    We move in about two weeks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Cool - My kids' piano teacher lives on Finland, although I'm not sure if there are multiple Finlands over there. From TM Pkwy South on Holland and East on Finland is where he lives.

Welcome to the hood.

p0P
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a PDF that includes a map with the proposed route options to connect Hildebrand (trailmark) with Deer Creek Canyon OS:
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...update_web.pdf

Here's the email response I got in April for an update on the connector(s) from Jeffco:
    "Although Open Space works with private landowners to acquire trail rights, its not always an easy process. Currently, Open Space holds a hiker only trail easement from Deer Creek Canyon Park through a portion of the White Deer Valley development going east toward Hildebrand Ranch Park. However as this is only for hikers. Alignment of a trail through the State Land Board property would require switchbacking to cross the hogback. Open Space continues to pursue a broader use for a trail corridor in this area, possibly further south onto Lockheed Martin property. Currently negotiations with Lockheed have been put on hold."

I think they are currently fixing up the area around the old farm for a parking lot with access to Hildebrand trails. So you should be able to ride thru that to DC Canyon Road to get to DC Open Space when that's done (at least you could prior to construction).

BTW, I live on Finland - across the street from the aforementioned piano teacher.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Any update to Hidlebrand to Deer Creek connection

Anyone know if there is any new information on the trails that would connect Hidlebrand park to Deer Creek park. I'm considering moving to the Trailmark neighborhood and it would be a big plus.

mtbr member
    I can only tell you that I've seen a trail from a distance that appears to go around the southern end of the hogback matching one of the proposals. Haven't heard anything official though.

p0P
    I've always wondered about that trail that goes around the south end - but I haven't ever seen a legit way to get to it (there are some old double tracks that follow the power lines in that direction, but they are quite overgrown). There also appears to be a small structure on the ridge above that trail that is on Lockheed's property --- a guard station perhaps?
    However, another problem I'm curious about is that where the proposed connection to Deer Creek occurs - it is a Hiker Only trail. So not only will Jeffco have to get access through Lockheed's land, they will also have to change that trail to multi-use for us mtbr's.

mtbr member
    The structure you mention is most likely related to the shooting range that I assume is owned by Lockheed.

p0P
    @ Rufhausen - I was talking about the structure that sits up higher on the west side of the hogback and looks down into that valley... the one that flies an American flag. I'm only guessing that it's a guard station by looking at Google Earth. It just seems like a good spot to look over almost all of their property from there.

Anyway, looks like you already mentioned the hiker only issue at the connection point to Deer Creek (sorry about that - I should have re-read the old thread)...
    As for the trail we see from Hildebrand... when you look In GEarth, it seems to meander around and cross some well-used dirt roads (that connect to Lockheed's main roads). My guess is that it is just a game trail or something that Lockheed's emplyees use.

But, as it has been said already --- there is no official connection from Hildebrand to Deer Creek. We all wish there was one, but even without it, I'm quite happy with Hildebrand for a quick trail run or for doing 4 or 5 quick laps on the bike when I'm short on time.

mtbr member
    I've always assumed that spot where the flag sits is where their heliport is, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if a few people start making inquiries about the trail connection, if they'll make it more of a priority. Hopefully, they'll consider changing the hiker-only status of the DC trail it would connect to, or at least make it possible to ride far enough to then take a neighborhood road to the DC parking lot after reaching the other side of the hogback.

Even without the direct connection to Deer Creek Canyon, it's still nice to be able to take the Hildebrand trail over to Deer Cr. Canyon Rd. via the park parking area, and then take the South Valley trail system via the Grazing Elk(?) trail by the other Lockheed site to the parking lot at Deer Creek open space. And now that Waterton Canyon is apparently open again, Trailmark is a great place to be for "from the house" rides.

mtbr member
    i dont like deer creek. Those stairs are hard to ride my bmx bike up.

p0P
    Well if you had any kind of skills on that bmx - you could just bunny hop your way up!

mtbr member

No go on Lockheed

Lee Patrick, I live on Finland too and do some contracting at Lockheed, From what I have been told by staff there is no way Lockheed will let anyone on the property without proper badges. The archery range is close to our neighborhood and the limits of even taking a guest there are quite high. I talked to a park ranger and there are several problems. The north end of the hogback is wildlife protected, if you hike up there there are no access signs all over. Not sure what wildlife is up there but I have seen Mt. Lion up there and two together once on the west side of the hogback on Lockheed property. The ranger told me those trail plans have been put on hold and not to expect anything for several years. The neighborhood west of the hogback are not thrilled about having a mt. bike trail that connects to Chatfield and all the bikes that would come. I think that plan is dead unfortunately but you never know.

mtbr member

Ride to Deer Creek and Ken Caryl

We usually ride to Deer creek and take part of the road, there are several nice loops up top of Deer Creek Canyon, and also Cathy Johnson trail and those associated trails south of Ken Caryl. We have some friends in Ken Caryl so meeting up with them is bonus to go ride those trails also. And there are some super fun singletrack down along the river in Chatfield. Not to mention now that Waterton is open the awesome loops up top of there. The road is a good warm and cool down too. Now if this wind would just stop blowing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldrijdenrenner View Post
    And there are some super fun singletrack down along the river in Chatfield.
    Rode these trails back to Trailmark from the top of Waterton this afternoon to avoid the wind. They remind me of the trails I used to ride back in Indy. However, you really gotta watch for horses. Very popular with them and there are a lot of blind corners.

Based on that most recent information, I guess the trail that you can barely make out going around the southern end of the hogback is a game trail. However, I never see deer up on the hogback. I've seen more Elk than deer, but that's only in the Spring.