Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trail traffic over the last few years

Avid mountain biker here. I moved away from the Denver area about 3 years ago and I'm contemplating a move back. Every time I visit it seems that there are exponentially more people in the area. I haven't typically been able to bike much when I'm visiting. So, I'd like to hear others' impressions of trail traffic over the last few years. When I lived there, I rode mostly jeff co trails and boulder/ned.

I spent a while searching for a similar thread and did not find one....

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's horrible. You probably shouldn't move back...

Seriously though, the trails close to Denver will be busy after work and on weekends from Spring through Fall. As long as you've got a good attitude and don't mind stopping occasionally it won't be a problem.

It gets less busy in the summer when the high country trails thaw and the crowd spreads out.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I amazed at how few people I see on the trails. I am fortunate in that I get off of work at 3 and my after work rides are a little earlier, but sometimes I can see the parking lot blowing up as I am leaving. On the weekends, I tend to ride a little further out because I have the time and seem to see very few people.

Of course there are times when things are super busy (I.E. Winter on North Table when dry), but overall, too many people don't get out and ride.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's not too bad if you compare it to the slopes anymore. It's gotten so bad I don't snowboard anymore. With riding you can go early or late and avoid the crowds. Everything close into Denver gets busy mid-day with bikers and hikers. Of course there's always BC. Even when the overflow parking at the ranger station is packed the system is so large you can ride all day and not encounter too many others.

Front Range, Colorado
    It's like everywhere you go. The sport has gotten more popular so the trails are getting busier.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I actually think the trails are less busy now than a few years ago... But I'm riding different trails at different times now. As long as you don't ride right after work or known-to-be-busy trails on the weekend it's not bad at all. Like someone else said, it's a million times better than the ski resorts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There are a lot more riders, a lot more hikers, a lot more hikers with dogs, a lot more trail runners. Sure, if you work a job where you can hit the trails at off hours it isn't bad, but if you are 9-5, M-F, prepare to join rush hour jams during the week. I've had people from places you would think of as crowded, like NY and CA, completely freak out over how crowded the trails are along the Front Range corridor. On weekends there is no relief in some places. Most trails near Boulder are packed by 9AM and stay that way all day.

And yes, skiing is even worse, I'm not even going to go there.

Choose your living circumstances carefully if you really want to enjoy riding here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have been ignoring all the news stories about CO's population growth, because the media here is now so hysterical about everything I just tune them out.

So I decided to Google up population growth by state.

Holy Hell.

Colorado is now the second fastest growing state in terms of people moving here from other states, and fourth fastest overall behind ND (oil boom), TX (massive influx of foreigners plus domestic migration), and UT (influx from other states plus much higher birth rate).

We are going to be looking at some serious water issues the next time we get a drought like 2001-2003.

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Colorado is now the second fastest growing state in terms of people moving here from other states, and fourth fastest overall...
    Interesting, but not surprising. Where I live on the (current) edge of the Denver metro area, they just keep putting up subdivision after subdivision. So people must be moving here from elsewhere.

Like many have said, a lot of it depends on when you ride. If you're an 8-5 weekday slave you'll be stuck with crowded trails. Too crowded for my tastes. Especially if we're talking Jeffco OS parks and other close-to-town trails. Buff Creek never seems crowded, due to its size and distance from Denver. But of course it's a longer drive. Ideally, I'd live somewhere like Salida where there are lots of trails and fewer people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Colorado is now the second fastest growing state in terms of people moving here from other states
    Yeah, I don't follow the media's hysteria either. My impression is that every time I return, the streets just seem more and more packed. Unfortunately a lot of the new population wants to do the same things as me - mtn bike, snowboard, etc.

All of this has been helpful, and like most of us, I will have a typical 8-4/5 kind of job. Maybe I will concentrate my efforts more on the jobs open in Anchorage and Phoenix....at least Alaska is less crowded...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    LOL at all the curmudgeons and their "get off my lawn" in this thread.

All you have to do is modify your behavior regarding trails in my experience and crowds disappear.

And with regards to the ski resorts - crowds are not an issue. Hell - this year I'm always wondering where the hell everyone is...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trail traffic over the last few years

I moved here a year ago, and within that time I have noticed rush hour traffic getting worse.

I can't say much about the trails because winter has been keeping most people off them. I will say when it is nice there are a bunch of noobs on the trails. People just walking off trail instead of stopping to let someone pass, people still walking on closed trails, etc. I guess that's what you get when a city has so much growth.

It's probably only going to get worse with the whole marijuana thing. Despite the lazy stereotype, people who smoke pot are pretty active.

I love Colorado, but I'm thinking Utah sounds pretty good.

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    All you have to do is modify your behavior...
    True. And that's very difficult for most folks. I wish people would drive less, consume less, etc., so that maybe the collapse of civilization will be postponed for at least a little longer, but it's not gonna happen.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    I moved here a year ago, and within that time I have noticed rush hour traffic getting worse.

I can't say much about the trails because winter has been keeping most people off them. I will say when it is nice there are a bunch of noobs on the trails. People just walking off trail instead of stopping to let someone pass, people still walking on closed trails, etc.
    Don't blame being a n00B. There are plenty of non-n00Bs that do this too.

I love Colorado, but I'm thinking Utah sounds pretty good.
    I've been recommending this to people for YEARS.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    True. And that's very difficult for most folks.
    Fortunately... this actually makes it easier for those of us who *do* modify our behavior. I'm more than happy if people keep stuffing up the trails as long as they do it on a predictable schedule.
    I wish people would drive less, consume less, etc., so that maybe the collapse of civilization will be postponed for at least a little longer, but it's not gonna happen.
    Don't sweat it - it will be way after you die.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I think the other thing to consider is the trails that you ride. The newer riders tend to stick to the easier trails (you know, the ones like sidewalks). If you are more inclined to tackle the more technical trails, there are exponentially less people. Dakota Ridge is a good example. It may be one of the easiest to access, yet it is rarely busy..

Sorry if offend anyone with my generalization, but that is kind of how I see it and your experience may differ.
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Please explain the "modify your behavior" comment. If you work 8-5, on weekdays your choices to avoid crowds are riding really early, which is problematic for those who have to commute, especially if there is no shower where they work, riding in the evening after dark where allowed, or not riding at all. On weekends you pretty much either have to be off the trail by 10, or drive at least an hour to get to a more remote trail.

The parking area at NTM has even been full this *winter* on any decent weekend day. I can't imagine what it is going to be like mid-April to early-June before the higher trails dry out.

It isn't going to get any better. There are 20,000 new houses being built between Golden and Longmont in the next few years. Over 7000 of those are in the NW Arvada sacrifice zone around 88th and Indiana, where the closest trails are in Golden and Boulder, which are already the most crowded around.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Just ignore no trespassing signs and trail closures. Problem solved. LOL

And I can't believe people still get upset over someone stepping off the trail when a single rainfall event does more damage and washes more dirt down the hill than 100 years of mountain biking ever could. At what point do you open your eyes and realize you have no control over mother nature? **** happens.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Please explain the "modify your behavior" comment. If you work 8-5, on weekdays your choices to avoid crowds are riding really early, which is problematic for those who have to commute, especially if there is no shower where they work, riding in the evening after dark where allowed, or not riding at all. On weekends you pretty much either have to be off the trail by 10, or drive at least an hour to get to a more remote trail.

The parking area at NTM has even been full this *winter* on any decent weekend day. I can't imagine what it is going to be like mid-April to early-June before the higher trails dry out.

It isn't going to get any better. There are 20,000 new houses being built between Golden and Longmont in the next few years. Over 7000 of those are in the NW Arvada sacrifice zone around 88th and Indiana, where the closest trails are in Golden and Boulder, which are already the most crowded around.
    NTM = beginner heaven.. NTM = first and sometimes only thing dry in winter..except Dakota Ridge which is empty.

Of those 7000 houses, how many do you think actually mtn bike? My guess is 5% or less..

Best time in the world to mtn bike.. Sunday during a bronco game.
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, assuming your 5% is correct, and there are 2 people per house, that is another 700 riders potentially hitting NTM and Doudy Draw after work, the two closest trails to 88th and Indiana. They are also the closest trails to Broomfield where another 7000 of those houses are being built.

It will end up being a moot point anyway since there are no plans to improve Highway 93, and it will soon be so gridlocked it will be too painful to get to the NTM or Doudy Draw trailheads anyway, let alone threading south down to Apex/Matthews/Dakota/Green Mountain. On Friday afternoons in summer the traffic on 93 is already basically 100% from Boulder all the way to the intersection of CO93/US-6/CO58. Tossing the traffic from another 20,000 houses into that cluster is going to make things suck even worse. It is hard to believe that is wasn't that long ago that every car coming into Golden from the north had to filter down Washington Street.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Please explain the "modify your behavior" comment. If you work 8-5, on weekdays your choices to avoid crowds are riding really early, which is problematic for those who have to commute, especially if there is no shower where they work, riding in the evening after dark where allowed, or not riding at all.
    Not to be a d-bag but you can ride if you really want to. I get up at butt crack (for me ~4:30 + a snooze or two) and bang out ~1.5hrs, get home, shower and off to work. I know two people who get up earlier than that.

The only thing preventing you from getting out is you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Not to be a d-bag but you can ride if you really want to. I get up at butt crack (for me ~4:30 + a snooze or two) and bang out ~1.5hrs, get home, shower and off to work. I know two people who get up earlier than that.

The only thing preventing you from getting out is you.

Up at 4:30, 30 minutes from bed to trailhead, ride in the dark, done at 6:30, 30 minutes for trailhead->home->shower->out the door, oops, now it is 7:00 if everything went perfectly, the heart of rush hour. You get a flat on the ride, some wind, whatever, and you are late for work. You must not have the commute that many of people on the west side have. A lot of people can't line things up in the AM becasue of work commitments, kids, etc. You get a flat/mechanical/whatever on your ride after work, no big deal. Before work, big deal.

But anyway, the point is that if the trails weren't so crowded, you wouldn't have to hit them at 5 AM. I think most people like the OP who are looking to move into a new living situation would see having to hit the trail at 5AM and ride in the dark to avoid crowds as being a major negative.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    All you whiners should move everything sucks here, please go to Utah
    BBZ

bacon! bacon! bacon!

I'm not giving away the secrets.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post

Best time in the world to ski.. Sunday during a bronco game.
    Fixed that for you.

Bonus points if you do it on Superbowl Sunday.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast