Bad Andy

Trail ? for Springs riders

Yo southern brethren,
    I may have a chance to take my 11 year old son riding in the Springs Sunday, due to my daughter's soccer game there.
    Trail recommendations por favor.
    Something easy, but not toooooo easy. He is starting to figure this thing out, and an easy tech move or 2 would be good for him.
    Thanks in advance (I love that phrase)...

mtbr member
    Red Rocks is good. Palmer Park is where I often take my buddy and his 11 Y.O.

If you go to Palmer Park - Grand View/Palmer Point trails are good!

Bad Andy
    Thanks - what's most convenient to El Pomar?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    It depends on where the game is. If it's on the west or south side of town, I would suggest taking him to the new Cheyenne Mt. State Park. It will cost you $5 to get in, but the trails are pretty easy by COS standards and should suit him fine. This is off of Hwy 115 as you are leaving town in the direction of Canon City.

If the game is on the north or east side of town, go to Palmer Park. From the parking lot off of Paseo and Chelton on the west side of the park, take the trail up along the road to the top. From there, that trail continues south and then west to the overlook. After that, double back and cross the road. Find a trail that goes to the North and head down the mesa and back around to your car on the lower trail. You can't get very lost in PP so don't worry about exploring--if a trail becomes too difficult, turn around and look for something else.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Thanks - what's most convenient to El Pomar?
    El Pomar the charitable foundation? That's by the Broadmoor so Cheyenne Mt. is close by. I don't know exactly where El Pomar the soccer fields are though...

Your retarded
    I echo Kristian's replies, Andy.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Bad Andy
    It's called El Pomar Sports Complex 2212 Executive Circle - appears to be close to Vineyard Golf Club - - Looks kinda like just SE of I-25 exit 138.

mtbr member
    It's called El Pomar Sports Complex 2212 Executive Circle - appears to be close to Vineyard Golf Club - - Looks kinda like just SE of I-25 exit 138.
    That's right by my house. There is a city bike path that rides through that park! From that area you are closer to Cheyenne Canyon but add a few minutes and you will be at Red Rocks. Palmer will be a 15 - 20 min drive.

All are great places. Cheyenne is more flow and climb but still great!

mtbr member
    Forgot about the state park.. that would be great and a short drive also

Team Inflexible

Gog

I would recommend Garden of the Gods. There is a cool loop that I used to take my son on that is not too tough but fun and scenic with a tiny bit of technical and a very small amount of climbing.

I would park at the visitor center, ride the tunnel underneath 30th and you can hop on the bike path. Head west on the bike path for about a 1/4 mile and cross the road entering the garden of the gods. Head south on the single track and you can do a cool loop around the dried out reservoir . The trail follows the ridge behind Rockledge Ranch to complete the loop.

CMSP would be a good option also.

Here is a map bike trails are brown/orange
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Your best bet is taking him to Red Rocks park, since your daughter's soccer games are going to be near Circle/I-25. Red Rock has an easy skills terrain section at the lower end near the parking lot and then you can explore more of the park if you want, it links to Section 16 which is pretty popular.

Cheyenne Canyon is going to be a lot of up with some semi-technical down. It will have plenty of traffic on the weekend and maybe some moto's.

http://www.springsgov.com/units/park...ps/redrock.pdf
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    OK, from there, go back to Circle Dr (the main street you got off) and head west to the Hwy 115 exit. Go left (south) about 3 miles and you'll be at CMSP--it doesn't get much easier than that. Your $5 entrance fee will get you a trail map, and the ranger can provide some good trail advice.

Hairshirt Rider
    In case you are confused, Cheyenne Mountain State Park (CMSP) and Cheyenne Canyon are not the same the same place.

Considering where the tourney is, I'd also recommend CMSP.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    In case you are confused, Cheyenne Mountain State Park (CMSP) and Cheyenne Canyon are not the same the same place.

Considering where the tourney is, I'd also recommend CMSP.

Uh. No one here is confused about the difference between CMSP and Cheyenne Canyon, if you are directing your comment to me. My post was regarding one further up, might I suggest you try r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n.

Class dismissed.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    Uh. No one here is confused about the difference between CMSP and Cheyenne Canyon, if you are directing your comment to me. My post was regarding one further up, might I suggest you try r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n.

Class dismissed.
    Easy there - I think he was referring to me, and he is right, I am easily confused, but I think I had that one under control!
    Thanks everyone - looks like I'll be leaning towards CMSP.
    Although Red Rocks sounds kinda good too - he liked the skills park we went to at Lory.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    Cheyenne Mountain State Park info here:

http://www.medwheel.org/gps/cmsp.html

Some Cheyenne Canyon maps here:

http://www.medwheel.org/gps/chutes-columbine.html

From El Pomar, I would suggest the state park.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life

Class dismissed.
    Proving clarification for the OP. No need to get your chamois all in a bunch.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Proving clarification for the OP. No need to get your chamois all in a bunch.
    Ahhhh. I owe you an apology.

Bad Andy
    Gonna try to be at CMSP around 11:00 (at the latest) - depends what time I can get the kid outta bed!
    If anyone's there and sees us - say hi.
    Come on out if ya wanna join!
    Me - Silver '91 GT Zaskar SS
    Him - 11yrs old, lt blue/gray Gary Fisher Tass.

Bad Andy
    ..... oops

mtbr member
    Everything go alright?

Bad Andy
    Yes - it was great - just messed up my report - you'll see it in a minute!

Bad Andy
    CMSP was great - thanks for the suggestions. TJ really liked it and so did I.

We took Manny on a hike at AFA 1st.

Then checked out the B52.

At CMSP, we did Talon mostly, with a little out n back on Sundance. Buff wide singletrack on those 2 with some fun rolling terrain.
    Beautiful area, I bet it's really great in the fall with the scrub changing colors. Lots of crusher fine at the beginning.

Nice trail signs, some with GPS coords.

Beautiful overlooks.

Do not sit in cactus unless you have your 11 year old son there to pick the needles out. Your regular riding partner may not be so accomodating!!!!!!!

Great ride - thanks again!

Oh yeah - not many people - maybe 10 hikers, 5 riders.
    NO TRAIL CONFLICT - - - YAY!

mtbr member
    Very Cool! I am glad you had a great time!

Your retarded
    NO TRAIL CONFLICT - - - YAY!
    Welcome to Colorado Springs, Andy.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.