mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Trail Runner Rant!

I've never experienced such a d-bag on any ride. My friends and I were ridin Marshall Mesa Sat. Came up on a runner so I let myself be known. As I got closer I noticed ear buds so as I got closer I got louder. Finally I was practically on his heals. We were on a steeper downhill so I rode my front break which screeches really loud. He still didn't respond. So I stopped to talk to the guys I was with. They all agreed he had to be ignoring us. The last person in our party said she heard two horsewomen she just passed who said the runner yelled at one of them. What could we do? I just waited for an opportunity and went by him. Almost grazed him actually. It took all of us 5 min to get by the guy.

I thought we mtbrs were supposed to be the jerks.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Some problems have easy solutions.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Over the years I've found it to be pretty rare that someone doesn't eventually hear you when you're close and calling out loudly/yelling. In thhose rare cases when they don't hear you for whatever reason (really loud music or hard hearing) I've actually gotten close enough to tap them on the shoulder. They usually jump several feet in the air, but what else can you do? I don't think I've ever had anyone deliberately ignore me and I try to not make assumptions about people who I don't know motives.

So UT, what kind of knife do you use to slash tires? The little multi tool that I carry probably isn't big enough to do the job. Plus, how do you know which tire to slash?

Big B's Trails
    Why slash the tire at all???
    Just let the air out..... Same effect and no property damage
    I dig dirt!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    So UT, what kind of knife do you use to slash tires? The little multi tool that I carry probably isn't big enough to do the job. Plus, how do you know which tire to slash?
    No self-respecting roadie leaves home without one.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    No self-respecting roadie leaves home without one.
    ????
    This confuses me
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I don't think I've ever had anyone deliberately ignore me and I try to not make assumptions about people who I don't know motives.
    Right? Me either. But the fact that after I passed and he didn't turn to see if I was in a group says alot. Plus, its a Saturday, close to town, Grand Central Station. Crazy!

mtbr member
    is this the start of the rant season?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    On top of it all, this damn trail runner guy didn't wave as I passed him!

Thread Terrorist
    While we're on rants...

haters are always gonna hate.

rant over.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Here's the rant form:

Have you ever noticed that _____ are jerks? I hate those _____. I was at _____ last _____ when _____ were there acting like jerks. Why can't they not be like that? I was totally in the right and _____ was totally in the wrrong. Oh, the injustice of it all I bet those _____ are all from _____. I am so mad I'm bad mouthing _____ on the internet. If I see _____ doing _____ again, I might even say something in real life.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    While we're on rants...
    I'm sick of Jeeps in Moab. Jeep week is out of control and now bleeds into either weekend on each side of Jeep week. April is now Jeep month. I used to enjoy watching these fat lazy tards roll their $60k jeep and watch the local guy waive as he goes by them in his crown vic on hells revenge. Now its a parade of 200+ machines on a trail. I'm blown away that everyone is worried about cryptobiotic crust when their 52 gallons of oil spilled all over slickrock. Really?
    The new golf-cart 4wd's. These things looked to be fun, a cheap way to do some 4x4ing without spending $60k for a jeep. Well, now they're everywhere, and god do they sound bad.
    rant over.
    Good time of year to be in Fruita, eh?

I haven't seen Moab Jeep week in a few years, can only imagine if it's increased its red neck factor. Still tough to beat the neighbors we had camping that time - a motorhome full of mullets having target practice with hatchets.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Good time of year to be in Fruita, eh?

I haven't seen Moab Jeep week in a few years, can only imagine if it's increased its red neck factor. Still tough to beat the neighbors we had camping that time - a motorhome full of mullets having target practice with hatchets.
    It was Moab. Watching rock crawlers are fun. Hell, I enjoy taking the truck on fins and things sometimes. A shop owner was on a rant when I went into the shop this week. The prediction is that there will be record number of jeeps this year in Moab. They were complaining how their business isn't as good as it used to be during the non-jeep weekends in April, and how that's changing. Lodging is booked up, camping is hard to find.

Its bittersweet. Moab is expanding and adding trails by the dozens now. North 40, Dinoflow, Mag 7 and the variation, Pipedream, EKG and Mega Steps, Rusty Spur, deadmans ridge.... lots of new options, but getting crowded too.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    camping is hard to find.
    November is nice.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    November is nice.

In a suite.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    In a suite.
    Not too shabby.

Camping in Nov is fun too - if you have neighbors from Humbolt County.

mtbr member

Organic alternative...

Banana Peel
    Last edited by calzonical; 04-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    can only imagine if it's increased its red neck factor.
    nope. the red necks (with the really freeking awesome jeeps) don't go that weekend because its overflowing with front range yuppies who want to test out there "trail rated" four door jk rubicons.

watch out! those guys may no how to txt n drive on their way down to the DTC for work, but they have almost certainly never driven "off road" before, and much sillyness is likely to ensue when they attempt to act "redneckish" only to find out that the 6" lift kit they had installed only makes the center of gravity higher.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Continue hijack: I saw a total of of 0 jeeps on the trails over 3 rides Sat and Sun, and about 15 other riders.
    Amasa/Pothole/Rockstacker/Jackson Sat am, Little Cyn/Arths/Great Escape Sat pm, and Baby/UFO/Mega/EKG on sunday. Fun to be in Moab and not feel compelled to ride Porc.

Even on Zippity on the way back I only saw 4 people. Solid weekend. My only gripe is that Hot Tomato is closed on Sunday.

I heard that the organizers of Jeep Safari(probably with some prodding by the BLM) severely tightened up the program this year. Only registered drivers could be on specific trails at specific times, with limits on their numbers. Camping was probably a bit of a mess but we scored a nice, cheap hotel while calling around on Saturday. Hotels are desperate to sell out of rooms and prices drop significantly once you get to the weekend. /end hijack

Yes, many trail runners chap my hide, but the farther out in the boonies you get the nicer and more normal they are...pretty much the same formula for any type of recreation.

i like rocks
    these are the guys you have to watch out for!

JK Rubicon Rollover on Rocker knocker Moab - YouTube
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    That's some funny sh*t. "Keep turning. Turn it. All the way." It would have been even funnier if a trail runner came jogging through with ear buds and ignored them all.