mtbr member

Trail recommendations near Golden

I'm relatively new to the area, moved up from Austin last fall, and I'm looking for some recommendations on trails to train my legs for the actual climbs here. I rode Apex shortly after moving, wasn't altitude adjusted, and got really humbled by the grueling climb right from the get go. What's a good ride to ramp up my climbing ability?

mtbr member
    Green Mountain.
    Do the climb from the Utah trailhead. It's not easy, but it is more gradual than the other climbs on the mountain. It'll get you up to speed. When you feel up to it try the fire-road climb.
    Or get on a road bike and do Lookout Mtn a few times per week. That will get you acclimated
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was out in Golden last week from Northern VA. I rode Centenial Cone with my sister and brother in law. It wasn't too bad, but I did walk up some of the hills. I thought it was a good ride.

Yappy little dog!
    There's nothing wrong with stopping every once and a while on the climbs. If it takes you three times as long to get up as everyone else, then don't be bummed. Eventually, you'll start getting there faster.

Everything is going to climb around here except for Bear Creek Lake Park. If you don't want something too steep, then try Marshall Mesa or Mathew Winters.

If you are interested in joining some people on rides that won't break your balls and actually wait and re-group, then PM me.

Welcome to Golden!

Bad Andy
    Just do the ones you wanna do over and over improving each time.
    toomanytoyz on this forum should have some recommendations too. He moved here from Austin recently.
    Ditto Schnauzers offer too. PM me - I usually get a small group ride going on Thursdays of all different ability levels, and for fun.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hey! The Manmountain Dense trade was only supposed to be for ONE Texan from Austin.

mtbr member
    I got here last September, so if someone needs to be deported it'll have to be one of the newer immigrants. Plus I'm still working in Austin so it's not like I'm stealing a local job.

Thanks for all the tips! I was expecting to get maybe one or two replies by the end of the day, not half a dozen in under an hour. I'll definitely take you guys up on the group ride offers. I haven't been able to convince my old riding partners to move up so I've just been soloing. I should go hit Apex again for a new benchmark to see how my recent conditioning training has paid off, plus being able to breathe now should help.

how heavy are you ??

if you got one....

Road bike on hilly roads... Its boring but you'll improve quickly! Does wonders for me
    Scottay

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis
    I'll definitely take you guys up on the group ride offers. I haven't been able to convince my old riding partners to move up so I've just been soloing.
    Goddammit. That kind of talk is NOT going to endear you to the locals.

Thread Terrorist
    Mathews Winters is relatively mellow, depending on what and how you ride. You'll get used to the altitude, don't worry. Just keep at it. I'm heading out for a noon ride on Chimney Gulch (not an easy one), if you want to tag along.

IE