Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17

    Trail Maintenance Castle Rock Ridgeline Trail

    This Saturday, May 8th. Meet at Bison Park in the Meadows at 8am.

    Tools will be provided.

    Thanks for coming out to help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,549
    I have work.... but dangit where is this meadows place?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CR Race's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54
    comin from south or north on I-25 is is the secound exite which is the wolfensburger exite. Go west on wolfensburger the take a right on coachline rd there will be a parking lot to your left that will come up or you can take your secound left where Cleer sky elementry and Bison park is at and park there. the trail head is on that street immediatly to your right after turning on the road where bison park is at.

    Hope any of that made sense haha

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Race
    comin from south or north on I-25 is is the secound exite which is the wolfensburger exite. Go west on wolfensburger the take a right on coachline rd there will be a parking lot to your left that will come up or you can take your secound left where Cleer sky elementry and Bison park is at and park there. the trail head is on that street immediatly to your right after turning on the road where bison park is at.

    Hope any of that made sense haha
    To get to the school/Bison park it is a left onto Foothills Dr.

    More parking over there. I actually access the trails from Avery Way (Follow foothills to Opportunity Drive (left), then make a Left on Avery. This is a neigborhood, so parking is more limited.

    Questions: How much of the new stuff east of Stagecoach is done and will they climb the Mesa there? Any chance of a DH directional trail off that Mesa (that would be amazing if the right terrain were used)?

    Comment: Can we get some trail etiquette signage up at the trailheads and maybe run a few articles in the HOA newsletters. I live in the neighborhood, and I am really starting to dislike my neighbors, but am hopeful it is more ignorance than arrogance (I ride, run, and hike these trails).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    329
    I just moved to the Meadows and am pumped about having a nice trail so close. Haven't riddin it yet but have hiked it with the kids and haven't had any problems. What user group are you having problems with? I would love to hook up sometime for a ride.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233
    I also live in the Meadows and it seems I am always looking for someone to ride Ridgeline with, typically in the late afternoons after work. We should start doing some MTBR Meadow's rides.

    TCR1, what new trails on the East side of stagecoach? The trail currently is a little over a mile that goes over the hill into the Redhawk neighborhood. The trail head in Redhawk is actually a good place to start a ride if you want to add some distance to the Ridgeline experience.

    Also, what type of issues are you having with other trail users? I find most of the trail users very friendly.

    Jeff

  7. #7
    Psalm 29:11
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    61
    I live in the Meadows and ride these trails frequently. I've not run into any conflicts with other users at all, everyone seems pretty aware to keep an eye out for bikes.

    I like the idea to get some MTBR rides together. A buddy of mine and I discussed the idea of putting together a bi-monthly or monthly timed race series in the Meadows, with the top riders from each week competing at the end of the summer for King of The Meadows bragging rights. Of course, this could potentially lead to some conflicts with other users if we are out there cranking as hard as we can to beat someone else's times!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Since I run, walk and hike the trails, I have had issues with all of the user groups...not really. Recently, I was on a training run just before the Crossfit Regionals and had a group of 3 mountain bikers not yield. I would have been more than a little peeved if I had gotten hurt a week before a competition I had to qualify into. I have had several instances where downhill riders haven't yielded on the climbs. I think for the most part the hikers and dog walkers are very cognizant. Perhaps my perception is wrong, but unless you are or have been a devote mountain biker, the ettiquette isn't well known.You guys are right, for the most part the trail users are very respectful. It only takes a couple bad ones to ruin it for everyone though. So a simple posting at the trailheads would be great.

    Might be hitting the trails at 3:15 from the access off of Avery. 3:15. I'll have a Giant Reign X and a black and Green Giro Hex on my head. Gonna try to sneak in a very quick loop or two before my wife and I head to the Rockies game.

    Name is Ryan. If you see me, just give a shout...I'm freindly

  9. #9
    Ride = Life
    Reputation: racerxti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    To get to the school/Bison park it is a left onto Foothills Dr.
    Questions: How much of the new stuff east of Stagecoach is done and will they climb the Mesa there? Any chance of a DH directional trail off that Mesa (that would be amazing if the right terrain were used)?

    Comment: Can we get some trail etiquette signage up at the trailheads and maybe run a few articles in the HOA newsletters. I live in the neighborhood, and I am really starting to dislike my neighbors, but am hopeful it is more ignorance than arrogance (I ride, run, and hike these trails).
    East of Stagecoach? I assume you mean Coachline Rd, near RedHawk golf coarse. At this point it is an out and back trail, with no immediate plans to expand. All expansion plans will take place on the west side of Coachline road. Future expansions might target that area.

    DH directional trail off the mesa on the east side? There are no plans in creating any DH exclusive content at Ridgeline Openspace. There will be downhills constructed, but primary trail use at Ridgeline will be XC and hiking. Castle Rock is investing heavily in Rhyolite Park, which will be nearly 100% DH content. Contact 6202 Cycling club, who is working on those trails.

    We are still considering making the trail directional, but must complete future trail construction prior. At this point the trail is two loops separated by a single trail. There is discussions in creating an upper trail connecting the two loops.

    Trail etiquette signs, trailhead signs, mile post markers, etc.. are all in the plans. Our progress in maintaining/building/and marking is directly limited by the number of volenteers available to the town. Please sign up with P.O.S.T partners, on the Town of Castle Rock's website. I hope to see you there.
    "Riding is about rhythm and flow. It's the wind in your face and the challenge of hammering up a long hill…" - Gary Klein

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Since I run, walk and hike the trails, I have had issues with all of the user groups...not really. Recently, I was on a training run just before the Crossfit Regionals and had a group of 3 mountain bikers not yield. I would have been more than a little peeved if I had gotten hurt a week before a competition I had to qualify into. I have had several instances where downhill riders haven't yielded on the climbs. I think for the most part the hikers and dog walkers are very cognizant. Perhaps my perception is wrong, but unless you are or have been a devote mountain biker, the ettiquette isn't well known.You guys are right, for the most part the trail users are very respectful. It only takes a couple bad ones to ruin it for everyone though. So a simple posting at the trailheads would be great.

    Might be hitting the trails at 3:15 from the access off of Avery. 3:15. I'll have a Giant Reign X and a black and Green Giro Hex on my head. Gonna try to sneak in a very quick loop or two before my wife and I head to the Rockies game.

    Name is Ryan. If you see me, just give a shout...I'm freindly

    If I had a little more notice I probably could have met up with you, thank you for the open invitation. I will probably ride tomorrow evening if anyone is interested. I rode yesterday evening and I was slow. It is the first time in four weeks I had been able to ride after being in the hospital for four days with pneumonia. Hopefully I will quickly get back up to speed.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxti
    East of Stagecoach? I assume you mean Coachline Rd, near RedHawk golf coarse. At this point it is an out and back trail, with no immediate plans to expand. All expansion plans will take place on the west side of Coachline road. Future expansions might target that area.

    DH directional trail off the mesa on the east side? There are no plans in creating any DH exclusive content at Ridgeline Openspace. There will be downhills constructed, but primary trail use at Ridgeline will be XC and hiking. Castle Rock is investing heavily in Rhyolite Park, which will be nearly 100% DH content. Contact 6202 Cycling club, who is working on those trails.

    We are still considering making the trail directional, but must complete future trail construction prior. At this point the trail is two loops separated by a single trail. There is discussions in creating an upper trail connecting the two loops.

    Trail etiquette signs, trailhead signs, mile post markers, etc.. are all in the plans. Our progress in maintaining/building/and marking is directly limited by the number of volenteers available to the town. Please sign up with P.O.S.T partners, on the Town of Castle Rock's website. I hope to see you there.

    Great information! Thank you for the update. Any additional trail mileage would be fantastic! It really is a great location and environment for trails.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxti
    East of Stagecoach? I assume you mean Coachline Rd, near RedHawk golf coarse. At this point it is an out and back trail, with no immediate plans to expand. All expansion plans will take place on the west side of Coachline road. Future expansions might target that area.

    DH directional trail off the mesa on the east side? There are no plans in creating any DH exclusive content at Ridgeline Openspace. There will be downhills constructed, but primary trail use at Ridgeline will be XC and hiking. Castle Rock is investing heavily in Rhyolite Park, which will be nearly 100% DH content. Contact 6202 Cycling club, who is working on those trails.

    We are still considering making the trail directional, but must complete future trail construction prior. At this point the trail is two loops separated by a single trail. There is discussions in creating an upper trail connecting the two loops.

    Trail etiquette signs, trailhead signs, mile post markers, etc.. are all in the plans. Our progress in maintaining/building/and marking is directly limited by the number of volenteers available to the town. Please sign up with P.O.S.T partners, on the Town of Castle Rock's website. I hope to see you there.

    Yep, I meant Coachline. Pretty sure Stagecoach connects Meadows Blvd to the Rock church. The trail on the Eastside of Coachline heads down past redhawk, but I have notices what looks like singletrack trail heading towards Wolfensburger when I drive Coachline. I have been eyeing that section on the Mesa that looks like an old road to run some hill intervals on. I haven't really looked into it seriously.

    I have been to Rhyolite. Pretty cool stuff. I will check out the P.O.S.T partners.

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by Spinone
    If I had a little more notice I probably could have met up with you, thank you for the open invitation. I will probably ride tomorrow evening if anyone is interested. I rode yesterday evening and I was slow. It is the first time in four weeks I had been able to ride after being in the hospital for four days with pneumonia. Hopefully I will quickly get back up to speed.
    Sorry for the late notice. I got stuck in the traffic jam on I 25 and didn't get out till late. Made a fast loop and headed home. Rode the trails Saturday and Sunday too.

    Watched someone go through the grass and ride through the "stream" that is part of the connector of the two loops instread of either going through the stream on the trail and getting muddy or shouldering the bike and staying clean. Thats the sort of stuff that ruins trail systems. He was riding a black and white Trek, but don't know which model. Pretty quick rider though since we weren't able to catch back up to him after we dismounted, walked across the stream and remounted.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Sorry for the late notice. I got stuck in the traffic jam on I 25 and didn't get out till late. Made a fast loop and headed home. Rode the trails Saturday and Sunday too.

    Watched someone go through the grass and ride through the "stream" that is part of the connector of the two loops instread of either going through the stream on the trail and getting muddy or shouldering the bike and staying clean. Thats the sort of stuff that ruins trail systems. He was riding a black and white Trek, but don't know which model. Pretty quick rider though since we weren't able to catch back up to him after we dismounted, walked across the stream and remounted.

    Yeah, I keep choosing to get muddy and go right through the water. Unfortunately, after 3-4 rides my bike now needs a good cleaning. The water hole definitely got bigger and deeper over the weekend. Maybe I will start carrying my bike around the water. That water wasn't there last year; I wonder where it is coming from? If it is going to be that way for a while a bridge of some sort might be necessary to keep people from destroying that area of the trail.

    I rode on Saturday and Monday evening late. I will probably be riding late in the afternoon several times this week as well.

  14. #14
    Psalm 29:11
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxti
    East of Stagecoach? I assume you mean Coachline Rd, near RedHawk golf coarse. At this point it is an out and back trail, with no immediate plans to expand. All expansion plans will take place on the west side of Coachline road. Future expansions might target that area.

    DH directional trail off the mesa on the east side? There are no plans in creating any DH exclusive content at Ridgeline Openspace. There will be downhills constructed, but primary trail use at Ridgeline will be XC and hiking. Castle Rock is investing heavily in Rhyolite Park, which will be nearly 100% DH content. Contact 6202 Cycling club, who is working on those trails.

    We are still considering making the trail directional, but must complete future trail construction prior. At this point the trail is two loops separated by a single trail. There is discussions in creating an upper trail connecting the two loops.

    Trail etiquette signs, trailhead signs, mile post markers, etc.. are all in the plans. Our progress in maintaining/building/and marking is directly limited by the number of volenteers available to the town. Please sign up with P.O.S.T partners, on the Town of Castle Rock's website. I hope to see you there.
    That's great news to hear that there are plans for more trails at Ridgeline. It's a great area that has a huge amount of potential. Personally, I'd like to see some stretches of trail that offer a little higher level of technical riding.....maybe some rock gardens, some log crossing, etc. I spent 8 years biking on the east coast and got used to constant rocks, tree roots, logs and stream crossings. I love the fast flowing single track at Ridgeline, but wouldn't mind some other loops that offer more of a challenge. I will check out the POST partners on the town's website and see what I can do to get involved.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinone
    Yeah, I keep choosing to get muddy and go right through the water. Unfortunately, after 3-4 rides my bike now needs a good cleaning. The water hole definitely got bigger and deeper over the weekend. Maybe I will start carrying my bike around the water. That water wasn't there last year; I wonder where it is coming from? If it is going to be that way for a while a bridge of some sort might be necessary to keep people from destroying that area of the trail.

    I rode on Saturday and Monday evening late. I will probably be riding late in the afternoon several times this week as well.

    Haha...I splashed through the first couple of times, but after seeing my wife do the shoulder and tip toe across on the little logs without getting soaked, I decided that would be better...plus my bike is now a total of 30 miles old, so I am still babying it somewhat.

    I contacted Parks. Spoke to Lisa and will hopefully make the trail work onJune 12. Meeting is at Bison Park at 7:00 am. Possibly meet some of you guys there.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233
    I am going to ride Ridgeline this evening. If anyone is interested in joining let me know: 303.842.7511.

    Jeff/Spinone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •