Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail etiquette

We can rebuild him

Trail etiquette

We absolutely appreciate all the mtbrs that have visited the Lake Pueblo trail system. Most riders have been very respectful of the trails. However, there have been a few that have damaged areas; for example, Cuattro Sinko. There are sections that have been widened (in some cases several feet) in an apparent attempt to avoid once muddy areas. There has even been a trail ridden in to avoid a steep uphill. Local riders understand the delicate situation in the park. Last year the equestrians rode several miles of trail during muddy conditions and severely damaged them. Because of their actions they were temporarily restricted from the park. With their powerful lobbying and successful organization, they were able to regain back access. This could easily happen to mtbrs if this type of damage continues. From prior experience, I have discovered that mtbrs lack this kind of power. We are asking to adhere to proper trail etiquette and stay on established trails. Maintainance is done by a small group of volunteers and this type of damage taxes our ability to properly maintain the trails. So please stay on the trails, don't cut corners and don't ride around obstacles. Thanks for your cooperation and support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, I noticed all that stuff today. It has just happened in the past week. Probably after that last snow. Come on people, use your head a little. Keep singletrack single.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "Keep singletrack single."

Word. People are chompin' at the bit to ride this time of year, regardless of conditions at times.

Patience, patience.

Edit to add: Sounds great down there!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Exactly!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trikbasstard
    Yeah, I noticed all that stuff today. It has just happened in the past week. Probably after that last snow. Come on people, use your head a little. Keep singletrack single.
    Dito, yo, and thanks Muff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Create peace on dirt

Having seen a fair number of riders in Pueblo lately, I would like to recommend some simple etiquette used in Fruita to preserve singletrack. When faced with a head-on situation, just stop and pull the bike off to the side. Don't ride around the other rider because this just widens trails; besides, you might meet someone interesting while stopped. Overtaking, the one overtaken should pull over and stop, not ride on the side of the trail. Solo riders would be polite to yield to larger groups to avoid hassles. Downhill should always yield to uphill, so the misery of the uphill rider can continue unabated. Hypoxia is almost a state of bliss, after all. Let's share the ride together and show the world that bikes are beautiful when piloted by beautiful people. Pueblo is a place that will have too many conflicts unless we all agree on some etiquette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can I get an AMEN, BROTHAS!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    speaking on pueblo...think it will be ridable tommorrow? Too muddy? I want to drive down from Denver but dont want to get there and find the trails unridable. Any suggested routes?

skillz to pay billz
    the weather man showed the radar and most precip was south of CS

mtbr member
    The airport several miles east of the SP didn't report any precip all day Sunday: http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPUB.html
    On Sat the trails I rode were dry. I would bet the trails are in good shape, but may be a local can chime in and give a report.

Need a map? http://www.socorunners.org/informati...railsSouth.pdf the only thing missing here is Cuattro sinko (blue, 4 miles) connects the South Shore with the infamous red gate.

mtbr member
    " With their powerful lobbying and successful organization, they were able to regain back access. This could easily happen to mtbrs if this type of damage continues. From prior experience, I have discovered that mtbrs lack this kind of power. "

Is there not a mountain bike club down there to stand up for our rights? If MTBR are using the trail system, we as bikers need to advocate the proper use and form a group to work with the park to help maintain the trails, and ask other users to be responsible for maintence as well. Up here in Steamboat, on emerald mt, the Routt County Riders builds and maintains trails for all to use, and if there is a problem, we try to slove it to keep the singletrack open and maintained for all to use. Even if the less delicate users don't pitch in to help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE=sbsbiker]" With their powerful lobbying and successful organization, they were able to regain back access. This could easily happen to mtbrs if this type of damage continues. From prior experience, I have discovered that mtbrs lack this kind of power. "

Is there not a mountain bike club down there to stand up for our rights? If MTBR are using the trail system, we as bikers need to advocate the proper use and form a group to work with the park to help maintain the trails, and ask other users to be responsible for maintence as well.
    Ozzie IS the president of the trails club. So, to answer the question, yes there is a club to maintain trails (a very small number of volunteers). We have found that when it comes to trail work days, it's the same people who come out to work while others have their many excuses to do "other things". When it comes to meetings... well ditto, when it comes to "hey, let the parks know how much MTBRS like the trails..." ditto. We have found that horsemen carry alot more clout than MTBRS. BTW, the equestrians, runners in the area are also club members. The horsemen show up for work days. Unfortunately, there are usually more of them than MTBRS. Locals, please chime in if you feel differently, don't want to offend anyone.

mtbr member
    It's cool that everyone is helping out to perserve the trails, up here it's just us bikers. The horsemen that use the trails are from a pay-to-ride stable and they poop all over the trails, and don't help with maintenance, even though their contract says that they are required to clean up after their mounts/pets. It's frustrating for our club members that put in hard work to build and maintain trails, and then have to ride through poop to enjoy them. What's worse is the city parks dept could care less about the trails, and would probbally bulldose them under if he had the chance. Maybe i'll stop and ride puelbo on the way back from the "Hills of Hell" race in oklahoma. Is there a good online source for info about puelbo?

We can rebuild him
    We also have had problems with equestrians damaging our trails, especially when they were muddy. We have had a lot of tense meetings but with negotiations have been able to work out the problems (so far). The equestrians have been verry helpful working with us on trail maintenance. There was a request from a commercial equestrian outfit, but thankfully we were able to put that on hold. I am amazed how everyone complains about mtb but my bike dosen't leave a 10# pile of crap on the trail. You can access our web at http://sctb02.org I know it gets discouraging at times but keep the faith.

mtbr member
    Awesome Ozzie! So glad to see the website up and running. Great job! Are you guys still meeting monthly? When is the next meeting?

We can rebuild him

We the people ... A club standing up

Our next meeting will be held on 2/25/08 at 6:30p.m. in the auditorium at park headquarters. In response to a previous post,a club of mtbr down here standing up for our rights. When the trails were damaged last year by equestrians our club organized a meeting with park officials. I personally notified all club members, IMBA, other clubs in the front range and anyone elese who would listen regarding the meeting. Out of the 25 attendees only 10 were mtbs, the rest were frends and family. The final decision by the state park (at that time) was that nothing could be done to prevent the equestrian's from ridding whenever they wanted to, no matter the conditions or trail damage they would create, Since then our trail system has been discovered by mtbs in the front range and there has been a dramatic increase in mtbs visit. The park officials have taken notice and realize the economic impact this could have on the park, especially when mtbs purchase a park pass. Our true power comes from our pocket. The trail system was closed to equestrians Feb. 9/10 because the trails were to wet and muddy to support their use. Park officials realize that trails with 6 to 10" holes poked all over in them are not fun or safe for mtbs, runners and hikers. Trail's with conditions like this will drive these users away to other areas. Getting the support of the entire mtb community can make a difference. So come enjoy the ride, buy a pass and follow trail ediquette. We will return the favor when the snow melts.

Your retarded
    Ozzie, I'm going to follow your advice. How do I purchase a park pass for a day? What does it cost? Can I purchase just a day-pass or does it have to be a season pass? I'm asking in preparation for the next time I'm down there; likely a weekend day.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quick and easy; just buy an annual pass online by following this link

http://parks.state.co.us/ParksPasses/

We can rebuild him
    An annual pass is great but any support is welcome. A day park pass can be purchased at the park entrance booths, if there is no attendant on duty you can use self pay envelopes. The cost is $6.00 a car so you can load up all your buddies, like we use to do at the drive-in. Now that should give you an idea how old I am. Thanks this also gives me an idea on what kind of info to include on our new web site www.sctb02.org chick it out and give me any helpful advice. The race flyer can also be dounloaded if your interisted.

Your retarded
    Thanks Ozzie. $6 I can afford. One thing though, what's a "drive-in"?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    drive-ins were places were young folks could freely experiment with sex and/or 40oz malt liquors while viewing a double feature(also extinct) back in the day

Your retarded
    While viewing a what?

We can rebuild him
    drive-ins! Before their were mtb what we did for excitement..

mtbr member
    Mmmmm 40oz!, Love those last few gulps too, so warm.

skillz to pay billz
    nickle, rent the outsiders on vhs for more information

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast