mtbr member
    Sep 2008

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away

I'm driving from north dakota and wanted to know how the trails are looking for the upcoming week, I'll be snowboarding at copper mtn and staying in the denver area, will it be worth bringing my mountain bike? I see that there is a winter weather warning, but I'm guessing a lot of that will melt quickly in lower elevations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    ...but I'm guessing a lot of that will melt quickly in lower elevations?
    Say what? You mean latitudes?

This stuff is pretty moisture heavy...was running around in it this morning to find coffee. It'll melt quick, but may need till later half of the week for Pueblo to clear up. Most of the trails in the foothills that are in the shade...no dice for this coming week.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mud. lots of mud. focus on the snow riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the forecast is saying 60's from tues to thurs and 70's on friday, you guys don't think the snow will be adequately melted for good riding by then? I'm also going to be snowboarding for the week, I'm guessing I should leave the bike at home?? I can't a imagine a trip to the mtns without it, I'll bring it anyways, haha!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    hard to tell until the snow ends today and we see how much.. its very very wet
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Rode on some of the snow this morning before it got too deep. Its really really heavy, and theres tons of mud below the snow already. The next few weeks are going to be a mess imo.

lucky enough
    For trails on weathered granite and couple of sunny days in the 60s - they should be fine.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems like at least a week or more to dry out. Is is very wet. You will have a nice time snowboarding though.

mtbr member
    None is sticking here in the NW part of the Springs. Ute will probably be good by mid-week, unless this stuff starts sticking here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the forecast is saying 60's from tues to thurs and 70's on friday, you guys don't think the snow will be adequately melted for good riding by then? I'm also going to be snowboarding for the week, I'm guessing I should leave the bike at home?? I can't a imagine a trip to the mtns without it, I'll bring it anyways, haha!
    Melted, yes. Muddy, yes. This is a pretty wet deep snow we're getting as I type this.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Absolutely no accumulation here in Niwot, and I'm guessing it's similar up around Lyons. I rode Heil Ranch yesterday and it was perfect... with the warm-up coming, I'm willing to bet that there will be a few trails that are rideable by next Thursday or Friday.

mtbr member
    Yes the snow will be melted on the south facing parts but no they won't be in any condition to ride. The North facing sections will have snow until late April or sometimes mid May. The trails hadn't dried from the previous snow and we are adding another 6-12" inches of moisture on top of a very muddy wet situation. I have lived quite a few places and the trails here don't handle moisture and riding very well. The mud gets clay like and you create groves by riding them during this time and your groves often dry and are with us till the end of the season. Other places I have lived you could ride the wet trails with very little impact, here that's not the case. Just because its 60's and 70's in Denver doesn't mean the mountains are the same temps. Sorry, its tough in the winter here to get good rides in this time of year.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    well it stopped, in Denver total accumulation is about 2 inches, however, that doesn't really tell the story, it is like two inches of water and another 2-4 fell and melted already.

I would say if the sun it out all week there is a good chance of a few places being rideable by next weekend.. but really only time will tell..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    well it stopped, in Denver total accumulation is about 2 inches, however, that doesn't really tell the story, it is like two inches of water and another 2-4 fell and melted already.

I would say if the sun it out all week there is a good chance of a few places being rideable by next weekend.. but really only time will tell..
    We easily have 6" in my yard and its still coming down. But I am in Littleton west and south of Denver only about 2-3 miles from the foothills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Yes the snow will be melted on the south facing parts but no they won't be in any condition to ride. The North facing sections will have snow until late April or sometimes mid May. The trails hadn't dried from the previous snow and we are adding another 6-12" inches of moisture on top of a very muddy wet situation. I have lived quite a few places and the trails here don't handle moisture and riding very well. The mud gets clay like and you create groves by riding them during this time and your groves often dry and are with us till the end of the season. Other places I have lived you could ride the wet trails with very little impact, here that's not the case. Just because its 60's and 70's in Denver doesn't mean the mountains are the same temps. Sorry, its tough in the winter here to get good rides in this time of year.
    You clearly aren't looking in the right places then... there have only been a few weekends when I haven't ridden between now and November.

Like I said before, I will almost guarantee that a few trails (good ones) will be rideable by next Thursday or Friday. I bet most of the snow in town will be melted off by tomorrow afternoon. Three days of 55-65 degrees will be more than enough. This storm was a dud- it's good to get the moisture, but I'm glad it came as rain and wet snow instead of 12" of snow because the trails will dry out that much faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-1-dscn2938.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-2-dscn2941.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-3-dscn2944.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-4-dscn2946.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-5-dscn2954.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-6-dscn2965.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-7-dscn2970.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-8-dscn2975.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Absolutely no accumulation here in Niwot, and I'm guessing it's similar up around Lyons. I rode Heil Ranch yesterday and it was perfect... with the warm-up coming, I'm willing to bet that there will be a few trails that are rideable by next Thursday or Friday.
    Nothing, huh? Here's what it's like around my place in Westminster as of 30 minutes ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You clearly aren't looking in the right places then... there have only been a few weekends when I haven't ridden between now and November.

Like I said before, I will almost guarantee that a few trails (good ones) will be rideable by next Thursday or Friday. I bet most of the snow in town will be melted off by tomorrow afternoon. Three days of 55-65 degrees will be more than enough. This storm was a dud- it's good to get the moisture, but I'm glad it came as rain and wet snow instead of 12" of snow because the trails will dry out that much faster.
    The forums are always fun. You are welcome to your opinion but most of the riding here around Denver will be muddy. Your opinion is pretty contrary to most of the input on this thread. So list the "good" ones that will be open and we'll post back here on Thursday or Friday with pictures just to verify. Dakota Ridge might be open but as of Friday this week but last Friday last week everything here in Golden, Morrison and Deer Creek are a still a mess and was still really muddy. Alderfer was frozen solid like a sheet of ice. The rangers were asking us to stay off Heil and Hall. You could drive to Pueblo or way up to Ft. Collins but I don't have time for that. So please list all the places I am missing that will be open.

Where do you live? We didn't get any rain and it was and easy 6" of accumulation here. I am just east of the foothills by 2-3 miles. No dud of a storm here. There was no problem riding from November till January because we didn't have any real snow accumulation and I also like many others logged quite a few miles. February and March have been different though.
    Last edited by wilsonblur; 03-09-2013 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The vast majority of trails around Colorado Spings are good to go; I hit a lot of them today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live at the base of Green Mountain and we got 8" of heavy wet snow.

Chronic 1st-timer
    A lil' bit south of Belmar

I'm shocked we survived!
    Trailwrecker at large

contains quinine
    Hall had plenty of wet snow today. Will take a few days to dry out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-img_2765.jpg  

Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Awesomist™

Anyone who says this storm was a 'dud' must have a different definition than me. It's no March '03 blizzard, but there is boot top deep snow in my driveway in Golden. Probably 10-12". It was a wet heavy snow as well, and although parts of trails around here might be melted I don't think much will be rideable for a while. Even Green Mtn was too muddy to ride just two days ago, now with this new precip it'll be awhile. Cheers.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Nothing, huh? Here's what it's like around my place in Westminster as of 30 minutes ago.
    I'm well aware of what it looks like down there, thanks to my FB friends... I'm saying the further north you go, the less snow we got.

I'm still willing to bet Hall and/or Heil is rideable by the weekend. 60+ degrees and the Colorado sun can do wonders with dirt. (at least I hope so, because it'll be full-on spring skiing in the mountains after tomorrow and I'd rather ride the bike!)

slow
    We got a few inches at my place in west Fort Collins, but most of it melted. Friends on the north edge of town said they saw a few flakes and no accumulation. Soapstone and Red Mountain north of here are likely in good shape. Not exactly convenient to Copper Mountain, but on the OP's way home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The snow wasn't too deep, but it was the heavy wet type

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-img_20130309_112637.jpg

Name:  IMG_20130309_114930.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  62.9 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are thinking of coming up to Boulder (and maybe you are not...) here is a link to county trail conditions.

Trail Conditions

I am not aware of a similar site for Jeffco however.

Funny about all the different perspectives.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    most of the riding here around Denver will be muddy. ..
    As I said earlier it depends on what you're riding on. Weathered granite drains quickly and south-facing slopes will be fine in 2-3 days. However, it sounds like the trails you ride on are mostly clay. That certainly holds the moisture a lot longer.
    Trails around here that are on decomposed granite (or sandstone which is similar in nature) include the upper part of Heil and most of Hall ranch. Centennial Cone may be all right too. Green mtn. and the Dakota ridge near Golden are mostly clay so they won't be good for a while.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Soapstone and Red Mountain north of here are likely in good shape.

Does soapstone dry up and clear quickly, even in the trees and north faces?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Soapstone + wet = cement. You've been warned

a dad
    Jan 2004
    just hiked on S table mtn in Golden.. a good 8-10 inches and some drifts that were waist deep.. also some spots with very little snow (south facing).. nice day!
    BBZ

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cbagnulo View Post
    Soapstone and Red Mountain north of here are likely in good shape.

Does soapstone dry up and clear quickly, even in the trees and north faces?
    There are no trees at Soapstone. I have not been up there enough to know how well it drys out. My guess as to conditions out there are based on the fact that they didn't get any snow out of this system and the wind has been blowing a bunch the past few days. FWIW, the city's trail conditions webpage says "Pronghorn Loop is recommended as the most snow-free trail."

Cytoe's warning is ominous enough to make me think a call to the open space folks before heading out might be a good idea, just to make sure you don't waste a trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got back from re-tracing my tracks from yesterday. What great wet snowpack. It's still about 8 inches deep...everywhere, no blown out spots...all the trees and ground are getting a great soaking. I bet there was 3" of moisture in all of this. The pond is filling up to levels I haven't seen since last fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    As I said earlier it depends on what you're riding on. Weathered granite drains quickly and south-facing slopes will be fine in 2-3 days. However, it sounds like the trails you ride on are mostly clay. That certainly holds the moisture a lot longer.
    Trails around here that are on decomposed granite (or sandstone which is similar in nature) include the upper part of Heil and most of Hall ranch. Centennial Cone may be all right too. Green mtn. and the Dakota ridge near Golden are mostly clay so they won't be good for a while.
    I am familiar and ride everything you just listed. Heil and Hall I consider Boulder rather than Denver and that's what I was referring to. Heil could be clear but Hall has a lot of potential for mud except for the rock garden. Dakota will be the first thing down here to dry out because its nearly one continuous slab of rock, not much soil on it. We'll see things are melting fast around here but a lot of the trails down here have a fair amount if tree cover as well and most of the loops have some sections facing north. I hiked portions of White Ranch two weekends ago and it was a muddy mess that will only be worse now. You make my point, the trails around here where I mostly ride will be muddy late into the week, maybe we can hope for some strong dry wind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the CAIC:

Afternoon Backcountry Weather Forecast for 11,000ft
    Issued: 03/10/2013 12:32 PM by John Snook
    Weather Discussion
    Temperatures remain cool Sunday afternoon under mostly sunny skies and northerly flow. Winds shift to northwest going into the work week. A band of moisture pushes into the northern zones on Monday. Periods of light snow during the afternoon and evening could add up to a few inches for the Park Range while flurries are possible south to I-70. Weak, but stubborn, high pressure persists for the remainder of the week. Temperatures slowly moderate and any moisture gets forced north of Colorado. The high pressure ridge moves slowly east going into the weekend, which should help to re-open the door to Pacific moisture by Sunday.

Awesomist™

Ya know... We should have a sticky for trail conditions "for the Front Range"...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

slow
    Hey cytoe,

It looked a lot different up there today after 24 hours of strong wind and several hours of sun.

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-dry2.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-dry.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow! I would not have believed it w/o pics. There was even enough snow that the fat bike was loving it.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    sgltrak that's great! I'm heading up to FC this week. I haven't ridden in a couple of week and I need to get out.. What trail is that?

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    sgltrak that's great! I'm heading up to FC this week. I haven't ridden in a couple of week and I need to get out.. What trail is that?
    Shoreline and Reservoir Ridge (AKA Michaud Lane) on the east side of Horsetooth. I suspect all the Fort Collins trails will be in good shape by this weekend.

mtbr member
    As others have noted everything around Golden/Morrison got a lot of snow....so the closest riding to Denver and I-70 is going to be a mud fest. I went up on North Table Mountain on Thursday evening before the storm rolled in and there was still a ton of mud and standing water then.

Even if this stormed missed us it would still be muddy up there. With how wet this snow was we are likely looking at close to two weeks of dry weather before things around Golden are going to be good to go.

For the OP you will have to go an hour north or south from Denver if you want to ride....both will put you out of your way for skiing in Summit County is all.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Shoreline and Reservoir Ridge (AKA Michaud Lane) on the east side of Horsetooth. I suspect all the Fort Collins trails will be in good shape by this weekend.
    Hey Normsk

jradin has it correct. Here is the whole ride:

Untitled by sgltrak at Garmin Connect - Details

a dad
    Jan 2004
    3 inches and still snowing this morning in Golden.. the chances of biking just went down significantly..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    3 inches and still snowing this morning in Golden.. the chances of biking just went down significantly..
    Yep... with 3-4" overnight I'm not so optimistic anymore. Although I still wouldn't be surprised if something is rideable by Friday afternoon or Saturday.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Shoreline and Reservoir Ridge (AKA Michaud Lane) on the east side of Horsetooth. I suspect all the Fort Collins trails will be in good shape by this weekend UNLESS IT DUMPS 3 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING.
    I fixed it for myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So how are the trails around Fort Collins looking? We got dumped on here in Cheyenne last night... was thinking of heading down there tomorrow, but didn't know the snow situation. Not too picky on what I ride, I just need to mountain bike, dammit!

slow
    Like jradin said, we got some heavy wet sloppy snow here last night, so it might be a couple of days before it is rideable. The county just announced that Devil's Backbone has been re-opened after closure for mud. I would still be hesitant to make the trip down here from Wyo for a ride sooshee. Will try to get wheels on the ground tomorrow afternoon for a report.

Where the heck all this snow come from? We were supposed to get perhaps 1/2 inch. In the end we got a good 3+inches keeping everything nice and wet.

Thanks for the FC conditions update. Hope we get some nice warmth and sun over the next few days.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Ya know... We should have a sticky for trail conditions "for the Front Range"...
    This is a fvckin' BRILLIANT idea. Maybe someone should contact a mod and make this happen?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    This is a fvckin' BRILLIANT idea. Maybe someone should contact a mod and make this happen?
    In the interest of being part of the solution instead of part of the problem, my updates are moving over there.

The dumb thing is that I was looking in this thread as it was getting better updates than the sticky.

Perhaps the Admins can merge this thread into the main one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's going to be in thaw out mode. Best to avoid the Denver area stuff currently. Rent a fat bike and ride at the ski-resort if you can find an open to bikes area or roll west for 2hours to Fruita and see how that is shaping up. Moab is only 1.5hours further still.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsthepeach View Post
    ...roll west for 2hours to Fruita....
    Dang son, you musta had no traffic on that drive.
    Trailwrecker at large

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    125mph average... that's pretty good.

But I bet he can do better.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    The real question is, did he Strava that sh1t ?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    The real question is, did he Strava that sh1t ?
    "You must spread rep before giving it to that clown again"
    Trailwrecker at large

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As dry as it's been in the FR and the rest of the state, I'd be hoping for more snow.

Some things are more important than riding a bike for fun.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    As dry as it's been in the FR and the rest of the state, I'd be hoping for more snow.

Some things are more important than riding a bike for fun.

Just sayin'
    is this a mountain bike forum? you need to have a beer and relax.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    is this a mountain bike forum? you need to have a beer and relax.

he doesn't drink..
    BBZ

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsthepeach View Post
    It's going to be in thaw out mode. Best to avoid the Denver area stuff currently. Rent a fat bike and ride at the ski-resort if you can find an open to bikes area or roll west for 2hours to Fruita and see how that is shaping up. Moab is only 1.5hours further still.
    TWO hours? Wow! I want what you're driving....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ha ha! My bad. I thought he had said he was coming to ski and staying up there, so I based my estimate off that. Yeah, 125mph would be pretty hard to maintain all the way to Fruita!

Let's fly!
    Anybody know how quickly trails are clearing up? any that might be rideable by Thursday afternoon? Dakota Ridge perhaps?

Just hoping . . . probably dreaming . . . but the snow has receded rapidly in my neighborhood so I thought I'd ask.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's still a mud pie in Westminster. Of course, there aren't any trails here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiRider View Post
    Anybody know how quickly trails are clearing up? any that might be rideable by Thursday afternoon? Dakota Ridge perhaps?

Just hoping . . . probably dreaming . . . but the snow has receded rapidly in my neighborhood so I thought I'd ask.
    You better look further south. Anything up the Denvr way is going to be soup for a while. Pueblo perhaps? I dont think they got the storm as much.

Let's fly!
    This most recent storm definitely came down from the north, so I'm sure further south is better, but not enough time for an after-work ride. I'm thinking the Denver Front Range trails are going to be a mess this week. Eyewitness reports would be great!
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiRider View Post
    This most recent storm definitely came down from the north, so I'm sure further south is better, but not enough time for an after-work ride. I'm thinking the Denver Front Range trails are going to be a mess this week. Eyewitness reports would be great!
    Marshall Mesa/Doudy Draw are still completely snow covered as of Tuesday afternoon.

I'm guessing it will be next week before they melt/drain enough to ride, if we get no more moisture.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    2nd hand report is that Deer Creek Canyon is a muddy disaster currently.