Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away

I'm driving from north dakota and wanted to know how the trails are looking for the upcoming week, I'll be snowboarding at copper mtn and staying in the denver area, will it be worth bringing my mountain bike? I see that there is a winter weather warning, but I'm guessing a lot of that will melt quickly in lower elevations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    ...but I'm guessing a lot of that will melt quickly in lower elevations?
    Say what? You mean latitudes?

This stuff is pretty moisture heavy...was running around in it this morning to find coffee. It'll melt quick, but may need till later half of the week for Pueblo to clear up. Most of the trails in the foothills that are in the shade...no dice for this coming week.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mud. lots of mud. focus on the snow riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the forecast is saying 60's from tues to thurs and 70's on friday, you guys don't think the snow will be adequately melted for good riding by then? I'm also going to be snowboarding for the week, I'm guessing I should leave the bike at home?? I can't a imagine a trip to the mtns without it, I'll bring it anyways, haha!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    hard to tell until the snow ends today and we see how much.. its very very wet
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Rode on some of the snow this morning before it got too deep. Its really really heavy, and theres tons of mud below the snow already. The next few weeks are going to be a mess imo.

lucky enough
    For trails on weathered granite and couple of sunny days in the 60s - they should be fine.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems like at least a week or more to dry out. Is is very wet. You will have a nice time snowboarding though.

mtbr member
    None is sticking here in the NW part of the Springs. Ute will probably be good by mid-week, unless this stuff starts sticking here.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the forecast is saying 60's from tues to thurs and 70's on friday, you guys don't think the snow will be adequately melted for good riding by then? I'm also going to be snowboarding for the week, I'm guessing I should leave the bike at home?? I can't a imagine a trip to the mtns without it, I'll bring it anyways, haha!
    Melted, yes. Muddy, yes. This is a pretty wet deep snow we're getting as I type this.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Absolutely no accumulation here in Niwot, and I'm guessing it's similar up around Lyons. I rode Heil Ranch yesterday and it was perfect... with the warm-up coming, I'm willing to bet that there will be a few trails that are rideable by next Thursday or Friday.

mtbr member
    Yes the snow will be melted on the south facing parts but no they won't be in any condition to ride. The North facing sections will have snow until late April or sometimes mid May. The trails hadn't dried from the previous snow and we are adding another 6-12" inches of moisture on top of a very muddy wet situation. I have lived quite a few places and the trails here don't handle moisture and riding very well. The mud gets clay like and you create groves by riding them during this time and your groves often dry and are with us till the end of the season. Other places I have lived you could ride the wet trails with very little impact, here that's not the case. Just because its 60's and 70's in Denver doesn't mean the mountains are the same temps. Sorry, its tough in the winter here to get good rides in this time of year.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    well it stopped, in Denver total accumulation is about 2 inches, however, that doesn't really tell the story, it is like two inches of water and another 2-4 fell and melted already.

I would say if the sun it out all week there is a good chance of a few places being rideable by next weekend.. but really only time will tell..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    well it stopped, in Denver total accumulation is about 2 inches, however, that doesn't really tell the story, it is like two inches of water and another 2-4 fell and melted already.

I would say if the sun it out all week there is a good chance of a few places being rideable by next weekend.. but really only time will tell..
    We easily have 6" in my yard and its still coming down. But I am in Littleton west and south of Denver only about 2-3 miles from the foothills.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Yes the snow will be melted on the south facing parts but no they won't be in any condition to ride. The North facing sections will have snow until late April or sometimes mid May. The trails hadn't dried from the previous snow and we are adding another 6-12" inches of moisture on top of a very muddy wet situation. I have lived quite a few places and the trails here don't handle moisture and riding very well. The mud gets clay like and you create groves by riding them during this time and your groves often dry and are with us till the end of the season. Other places I have lived you could ride the wet trails with very little impact, here that's not the case. Just because its 60's and 70's in Denver doesn't mean the mountains are the same temps. Sorry, its tough in the winter here to get good rides in this time of year.
    You clearly aren't looking in the right places then... there have only been a few weekends when I haven't ridden between now and November.

Like I said before, I will almost guarantee that a few trails (good ones) will be rideable by next Thursday or Friday. I bet most of the snow in town will be melted off by tomorrow afternoon. Three days of 55-65 degrees will be more than enough. This storm was a dud- it's good to get the moisture, but I'm glad it came as rain and wet snow instead of 12" of snow because the trails will dry out that much faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-1-dscn2938.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-2-dscn2941.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-3-dscn2944.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-4-dscn2946.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-5-dscn2954.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-6-dscn2965.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-7-dscn2970.jpgtrail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-8-dscn2975.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Absolutely no accumulation here in Niwot, and I'm guessing it's similar up around Lyons. I rode Heil Ranch yesterday and it was perfect... with the warm-up coming, I'm willing to bet that there will be a few trails that are rideable by next Thursday or Friday.
    Nothing, huh? Here's what it's like around my place in Westminster as of 30 minutes ago.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You clearly aren't looking in the right places then... there have only been a few weekends when I haven't ridden between now and November.

Like I said before, I will almost guarantee that a few trails (good ones) will be rideable by next Thursday or Friday. I bet most of the snow in town will be melted off by tomorrow afternoon. Three days of 55-65 degrees will be more than enough. This storm was a dud- it's good to get the moisture, but I'm glad it came as rain and wet snow instead of 12" of snow because the trails will dry out that much faster.
    The forums are always fun. You are welcome to your opinion but most of the riding here around Denver will be muddy. Your opinion is pretty contrary to most of the input on this thread. So list the "good" ones that will be open and we'll post back here on Thursday or Friday with pictures just to verify. Dakota Ridge might be open but as of Friday this week but last Friday last week everything here in Golden, Morrison and Deer Creek are a still a mess and was still really muddy. Alderfer was frozen solid like a sheet of ice. The rangers were asking us to stay off Heil and Hall. You could drive to Pueblo or way up to Ft. Collins but I don't have time for that. So please list all the places I am missing that will be open.

Where do you live? We didn't get any rain and it was and easy 6" of accumulation here. I am just east of the foothills by 2-3 miles. No dud of a storm here. There was no problem riding from November till January because we didn't have any real snow accumulation and I also like many others logged quite a few miles. February and March have been different though.
    Last edited by wilsonblur; 03-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The vast majority of trails around Colorado Spings are good to go; I hit a lot of them today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live at the base of Green Mountain and we got 8" of heavy wet snow.

Chronic 1st-timer
    A lil' bit south of Belmar

I'm shocked we survived!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

contains quinine
    Hall had plenty of wet snow today. Will take a few days to dry out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-img_2765.jpg  

Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Awesomist™

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away

Anyone who says this storm was a 'dud' must have a different definition than me. It's no March '03 blizzard, but there is boot top deep snow in my driveway in Golden. Probably 10-12". It was a wet heavy snow as well, and although parts of trails around here might be melted I don't think much will be rideable for a while. Even Green Mtn was too muddy to ride just two days ago, now with this new precip it'll be awhile. Cheers.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Nothing, huh? Here's what it's like around my place in Westminster as of 30 minutes ago.
    I'm well aware of what it looks like down there, thanks to my FB friends... I'm saying the further north you go, the less snow we got.

I'm still willing to bet Hall and/or Heil is rideable by the weekend. 60+ degrees and the Colorado sun can do wonders with dirt. (at least I hope so, because it'll be full-on spring skiing in the mountains after tomorrow and I'd rather ride the bike!)

slow
    We got a few inches at my place in west Fort Collins, but most of it melted. Friends on the north edge of town said they saw a few flakes and no accumulation. Soapstone and Red Mountain north of here are likely in good shape. Not exactly convenient to Copper Mountain, but on the OP's way home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The snow wasn't too deep, but it was the heavy wet type

trail conditions on the front range-coming from 1100 miles away-img_20130309_112637.jpg

Name:  IMG_20130309_114930.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  62.9 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast