mtbr member
    Mar 2007

trail conditions at Dakota Ridge & Marshall Mesa

Anyone been to Dakota Ridge or Marshall Mesa this weekend?

contains quinine
    The family hiked up Doudy Draw yesterday afternoon, and I'm super glad that boots are easier to clean than bikes.

Insert rant about staying on the trail if you do head out there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    sorry to report that riders were butchering marshall and high plain trails today despite the meltdown...

Old, stale, negative
    Exactly why we played polo.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Thawing. I checked out high plains from the road, it was definitely melting out in spots and I didn't regret staying off it. I think most of the stuff around the boulder area is going to need some more time to melt out unless it gets cold enough to freeze it solid. Lots of wet spots out there today even on the road and connecting bike paths.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfroggy
    sorry to report that riders were butchering marshall and high plain trails today despite the meltdown...
    I hear ya.. sad to see people tearing up the trails like that. Patience people!

Which way? Uphill.
    Dakota Ridge was muddy and rutted as I pedaled by (on the road) yesterday. We're getting some light rain/slow as I type so it'll be even longer now.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

let 'em dry

I'd recommend staying away from MM and High Plains for a while still. It's going to take a long time to dry out, so let's not trash the trails during february.

hmmmmm
    If it weren't for spin classes @ Green Mtn Rec... I'd go totally crazy...

mtbr member
    It looks like if we should be getting 50's for a solid week, next week. If that happens Dakota and the south side Green Mountain should be ridable. If you see mud, please dismount and don't ride thru it.

Dakota is always the first the melt though. Maybe even some of Mathew Winters.

Erik

do-a-wheelie
    Did anyone hike or bike Marshall yesterday? Wondering if I can get an early morning spin in.

30 something dad
    I went running at Marshall, starting at the Greenbelt Plateau trailhead on 128, running up and connecting with Community Ditch circling down Marshall Valley, up Coal Seam and back to Greenbelt. There was plenty of dry dirt, but there was also plenty of mud. My calves were pretty muddy by the end of the run. I saw a few bikers out there, but my advice would be to avoid it for another week or so.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Hit it frozen or wait until after this next thaw and *maybe* it will be good. The main marshall mesa trail is okay but I'd still wait. There are plenty of big muddy spots. The side trails (high plains, cowdy draw etc) are still WAY muddy in spots.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    We will be getting a couple of days of good thaw, so it may look good., but if it is muddy just make sure you dismount.

Erik

do-a-wheelie
    I checked the thermometer and it was 25 degrees, and no sun yesterday at 9am so I hit Marshal for the morning spin. About 5 cars in the main parking lot (the new one near the gas station). Saw 4 hikers and 1 cyclecross rider in my 1 hour ride. The trail was perfect, all the mud was still frozen, which there was only a bit of except for Cowdry draw where there was lots o frozen mud. gotta get up early these days if you want to ride.