mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Trail conditions for Colo. Trail???

Does anyone know the trail conditions for the first 30 miles of the Colorado Trail? How far could a fella get on a bike?

Thanks

Addicted
    I guess it depends on when you were wanting to ride it. Currently I would guess that because many sections of the first 20 miles is on east and north facing inclines - they would be fairly snowed in and/or very muddy right now. With the dry spell and warming you might have a shot soon...but I guess it depends more on how much snow there is just past the first set of foothills. I still see a lot of snow up there, which would seem to put the CT in the "iffy" category at best anytime soon.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Personally I just assumed it was going to be socked in until Spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by le Coq Rouge
    Does anyone know the trail conditions for the first 30 miles of the Colorado Trail? How far could a fella get on a bike?

Thanks

I wouldn't even think of it right now....anything that has or had snow on it within the last 2 weeks will be a sloppy mess except for exposed areas. This section is all in the trees and doesn't have much if any exposure except the switchbacks going down towards deckers. I know it sucks but that is one trail you don't want to **** up! It also doesn't see as much trail work as does the jeffco parks. Alot of things should be rideable right now. GM, Winters, and white ranch. hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

nice photo album

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianYETI
    I guess it depends on when you were wanting to ride it. Currently I would guess that because many sections of the first 20 miles is on east and north facing inclines - they would be fairly snowed in and/or very muddy right now. With the dry spell and warming you might have a shot soon...but I guess it depends more on how much snow there is just past the first set of foothills. I still see a lot of snow up there, which would seem to put the CT in the "iffy" category at best anytime soon.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Personally I just assumed it was going to be socked in until Spring.
    I checked out your photo album....very nice. I recently picked up the trailside guide for the CT because I am considering doing day assaults throughout the year to see how far I can get. It looks like you're doing it in the same manner, although I would take the skiis if it deemed the best possible mode of transport at this time of year. I'm from the Fort and I've only ridden the section off Monarch Crest. How late in the year are you planning to attempt "Section 6" (that's you next section, right)?

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by le Coq Rouge
    I checked out your photo album....very nice. I recently picked up the trailside guide for the CT because I am considering doing day assaults throughout the year to see how far I can get. It looks like you're doing it in the same manner, although I would take the skiis if it deemed the best possible mode of transport at this time of year. I'm from the Fort and I've only ridden the section off Monarch Crest. How late in the year are you planning to attempt "Section 6" (that's you next section, right)?
    We've done up to and including section 6. Section 7 is the one that goes from Breck/Frisco to Copper and due to the high altitude it will probably be July-August-ish before the snow cover at 12,000 feet is gone. We will probably do some of the lower sections elsewhere on the CT (Buena Vista area) and then come back and do that section late in the season. Planning is going to be really tricky though because of the large sections of Wilderness Area, which although we have no desire to ride through them, we do want to hike them while we are there instead of taking the bike detours, most of which are lame dirt roads or even highway. Note that when I say hike, I mean without our bikes. We tried carrying our bikes once for 8 miles through wilderness and will never do that again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I second that...

I did a paved/dirt road loop on 1-20-05 through the area.
    I passed through Buffalo Cr. and the old South Platte townsite,
    lots of snow/mud even the S. Platte River rd. The condition of the
    C.T. is -under snow and the few parts that were not, even when
    viewed from the road, were clearly still VERY muddy.
    DO NOT RIDE YET!!!!