mtbr member
    Oct 2005

TR: Traversing the Zion Curtain (Fruita-Moab-Fruita) w/Pics

Cross post from Passion, but I wanted to include it here as well:

My wife and I had planned to take a short road trip to the Grand Junction area to visit some Nat'l Parks and other areas- but due to a last minute change of plans, I ended up doing the trip alone. Not a problem, as I just threw my mountain bike in the car and did a little more riding than expected (wife doesn't mountain bike). My first stop was Fruita's 18 Road trails. If you haven't been there, it's singletrack heaven... mostly smooth, flowy, trails that offer views to die for and a great atmosphere of fun riding. I did a few loops of Joe's Ridge/Kessel downhills, mixed in with a Zippety Do-Da loop.

After climbing Prime Cut, this view greets you at the top of Joe's Ridge:

I believe this is the Front Side Trail, cutting between Zippety and Joe's Ridge:

Going down Zippety:

The view to the west from the junction of Zippety and the Edge:

More Zippety goodness:

After a few hours of riding, I crossed the highway and made a quick drive through Colorado National Monument:

On Saturday, I had already planned to head down to Moab for the day. Not to ride, but instead to visit Canyonlands National Park. When I arrived, it was 35 degrees and snowing, so I thought for sure my photography trip was ruined. It turned out to be a blessing- the park was empty, and the skies cleared enough to capture some killer views and amazing scenery. For those of you who haven't been here, it's a must-do anytime you're in Moab. Simply amazing scenery and the beauty of the place is unmatched.

Looking out from the "Neck" near the Shaffer Trail:

The iconic Mesa Arch- I was one of three people here early in the morning. Not the typical sunrise shot, but there wasn't a sunrise that morning.

The view to the west when descending an unmarked trail:

That unmarked trail led to the False Kiva. Majestic.

The view to the west from the False Kiva.

Green River Overlook:

Looking back at the Candlestick tower from the opposite perspective of False Kiva:

From the Grand View Overlook:

One more of the Candlestick tower:

Back to Fruita on Sunday... despite the rain overnight on Saturday, I decided to check out the Kokopelli trails anyways. First car in the parking lot, and it wasn't hard to see why- 8:30 on Easter Sunday, 45 degrees with a strong chance of rain. I lucked out- I got in a Mary's-Horsethief-Wrangler (only part of Wrangler) loop... as I got into my car to drive home, it started pouring. Perfect timing. Not a lot of pics here because it was drizzling the whole time and I didn't have time to waste.

Overlooking the Colorado River from the Horsethief trail:

Once you turn back towards the cliffs, you're rewarded with this view to the west:

What a great 3-day trip... here's a parting shot from the False Kiva:
    Last edited by smmokan; 04-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.

lucky enough
    nice shots smmokan
    I'm headed down that way in a few weeks. Your shots give me ideas on where to ride. I guess I'll take my camera.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Yappy little dog!
    Nice job on this! Exactly what this place needs. More RR's!!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Primo. Thanks for sharing!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    "Not the typical sunset shot, but there wasn't a sunset that morning."

Usually how that works. Great shots!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ssmokan I'm blown away by your photography. Stellar stuff. Can you tell us how you carry your 50D?

I've been to every one of the places you were at but looking at your pics, it was like seeing them for the first time. Supposedly crappy weather conditions may preclude riding but it sure doesn't diminish the photo ops. Thanks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    XCguy- for this trip, I had my 50D and 15-85 IS lens, a fairly heavy combo for mountain biking (but my lightest setup, unfortunately). I had a pretty ghetto carrying setup... basically I wrapped the camera/lens in a long sleeve shirt and put it in my Deuter Race EXP Air pack. For hiking and skiing, I put my camera and lens in a topload bag and then into my pack- but that's too much to fit into my Deuter pack.

It's a good thing I had the t-shirt with me this time though, as I sliced open my leg on Joe's Ridge and needed it to stop the bleeding.

mtbr member
    Steve,
    Love the shots! Would have loved to join in on that one. Our crew will be in Fruita for the next three weekends if you want to get in a ride.

mtbr member
    Really nice....love the desert and have not been yet this year. Soon....

mtbr member
    Wow, great shots.

Here's a preview of tonight's conversation, "Honey, we are going to Fruita this fall."

Those pictures are amazing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Wheeler
    Steve,
    Love the shots! Would have loved to join in on that one. Our crew will be in Fruita for the next three weekends if you want to get in a ride.
    I'll be back out there the weekend of May 13-15 riding with a friend or two... maybe we can meet up.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Those pics are ridiculous! Thanks for posting up some stoke!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Excellent !