pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Tower Road Recon

I road up Tower Road starting at noon today. It's 98% dry. It's obviously plowed after the big storms. Unfortunately it looks like the best descent is also via Tower Road (I went about 500 yards down Spring Creek in deep crusty snow and gave up).

Tower Road Recon-dsc00061.jpg
    There were two ice flows like this around the Stout intersection that required a little walking.

Tower Road Recon-dsc00058.jpg
    But for the most part the road looked like this (if your heart rate isn't rising staring at this deceptive hill, you haven't riddin or don't remember it)

Tower Road Recon-dsc00054.jpg
    The trail from Soderburg parking lot to Tower is mostly snow packed and crusty ice (all ridable, unless you're running 50 psi in your tires )

Tower Road Recon-dsc00060.jpg
    Spring Creek Trail is here somewhere. I gave up and cut back to Tower Road for a frigid descent.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00058.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	515205
    But for the most part the road looked like this (if your heart rate isn't rising staring at this deceptive hill, you haven't riddin or don't remember it)
    I remember the one time I rode it (thx a lot sgltrak - haha j/k) - and you're right - that pic is definitely one of those STILs.
    Old Codger

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    I remember the one time I rode it (thx a lot sgltrak - haha j/k) - and you're right - that pic is definitely one of those STILs.
    No problem, Andy

Thanks for the shots, J. I have not been off pavement in almost 4 weeks. May have to get a fat tire bike out and get up there one of these days. The heart rate could use a good workout. I think I will ride the road to the gate, instead of on the ice trail from the parking lot, though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report! How far up is it clear? To the towers??

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Thanks for the report! How far up is it clear? To the towers??
    I went as far as the Mill Creek / Spring Creek intersection, but I have to imagine that access to the towers is the reason they plow, so I'm guessing it's clear all the way up.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    No problem, Andy

I think I will ride the road to the gate, instead of on the ice trail from the parking lot, though.
    That's a good call Mike. That trail from the parking lot will likely see a period of serious mud in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Looks like ascending steeps straight (A.S.S) rides are on.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    Southridge was pretty good Saturday, too. Not dry, but rideable, 99% up and 100% down. Audra Culver was not bad, either.

I'm thinking maybe this weekend trying a loop of Southridge/Audra/Westridge/Towers/road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    That's good news. Hopefully I can be more involved on the thursday night fun fests than I was last semester, especially after daylight savings time begins in 48 days

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    I like the way you think, K

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    That's good news. Hopefully I can be more involved on the thursday night fun fests than I was last semester, especially after daylight savings time begins in 48 days
    Thanks for keeping the countdown alive!

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m3rb
    I'm thinking maybe this weekend trying a loop of Southridge/Audra/Westridge/Towers/road.
    I'd like to here how Westridge is. If it's anything like Spring Creek you'll need snow shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I did a recon hike up Wathen a week and a half ago, Sunday. It was about 25% dirt. Some sections were 8" deep half way up, but other spots in the trees only had 2-4".

Two guys were riding down, just going for it. I imagine there were some good OTB scenes in the deep stuff!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looks like I'll be hiking the R-DH up the towers road this weekend.