Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tougher ride: Deer Creek Canyon or Bergen Peak??

2K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  TooManyToyz 
#1 ·
I live near Deer Creek Canyon OS park and have ridden it several times (always a humbling experience).
I'm looking to tackle Bergen Peak for the first time soon on the bike (I've hiked it once). In terms of overall difficulty(fitness + techical stuff), can anyone tell me which is the tougher trail?

Thanks.

#30 ·
bad andy! said:
It is rideable from bottom to top, but there are 2 or 3 stretches of tough technical stuff, instead of just one like DC.
It's also got a lot more vertical than DC.
But that is coming from a pvssie's perspective.
:thumbsup:
What? You won't give props to that sweet rocky section next to the multi-million $$ house and the rock-strewn steep bit just after that open switchback that invovlves a BIG water diversion log and then a nice rock face?

And lets not forget that sweet rock section on the climb toward the Red Mesa loop that starts around the sandy switchback... that's quite tech.

Guess I'm not the only one with selective memory. ;)

#31 ·
SkaredShtles said:
What? You won't give props to that sweet rocky section next to the multi-million $$ house and the rock-strewn steep bit just after that open switchback that invovlves a BIG water diversion log and then a nice rock face?

And lets not forget that sweet rock section on the climb toward the Red Mesa loop that starts around the sandy switchback... that's quite tech.

Guess I'm not the only one with selective memory. ;)
Granted those are technical, but if you include them, you would have to also include a few more stretches on Bergen!
Dude - just admit you're wrong!
Doesn't majority rule?
Go along with the crowd...:lol:

I will also add:
"Although it has been awhile since I've climbed"...DC.
So there - now I am covered either way, like you!

Have a fun w/e.

#33 ·
Everybody who can clean all of BP, raise your hand.

Everybody who can clean all of DC, raise your hand.

That was easy, DC wins it.

Next question.

#34 ·
After DC yesterday, I had to fight the urge to do a Dakota/MW loop. Pressed for time, I couldn't (but I did stop by Tipsys). Somehow, I dont think I would need to fight that urge to do another ride after Bergen.

The WOS looked a bit cleaner than it did a couple years ago (only other time I've made it so far south). While I didn't clean it, I had the distinct feeling it would have happened had a stayed and gave it a few (or more) shots.
Next time...

As for Bergen, that *one spot* where you have to dance around a tree and a VW sized boulder protruding onto your path still eludes me.
Next time...

#37 ·
We went up the easier side and down the other. I wouldn't say the other side was very tech either though but it would have been a bit harder. My main difficulty in CO is the altitude and length of the climbs. I have puny lungs!

So far only a couple of the trails I've done are what I'd consider super tech, Sourdough/SSV and Dakota Ridge.

#38 ·
TooManyToyz said:
We went up the easier side and down the other. I wouldn't say the other side was very tech either though but it would have been a bit harder. My main difficulty in CO is the altitude and length of the climbs. I have puny lungs!

So far only a couple of the trails I've done are what I'd consider super tech, Sourdough/SSV and Dakota Ridge.
Well hate to call you out toys, but post up the vid like the gal above your post and i'd love to see those sections cleaned and spat on like the way you make it sound. Maybe its just because ive always been so far ahead of you that i have never seen you clean stuff.

Just sayin.......

#39 ·
PBR me! said:
Well hate to call you out toys, but post up the vid like the gal above your post and i'd love to see those sections cleaned and spat on like the way you make it sound. Maybe its just because ive always been so far ahead of you that i have never seen you clean stuff.

Just sayin.......
:eekster:

I've only ridden deer creek once --- and it was many, many years ago. i do recall the wos the only thing super techy ... but my memory isn't so great ;) So my opinion doesn't count one little bit.... I was just curious what side they went up. They're SO different.... Does anyone know the elevation gain at deer creek?

Nice to see everyone's out gettin' sum fun!

Jj

#40 ·
PBR me! said:

Just sayin.......
LOL :p :yesnod: :thumbsup:
I believe we now officially have a pissin' contest

#41 ·
jenamin said:
:eekster:

I've only ridden deer creek once --- and it was many, many years ago. i do recall the wos the only thing super techy ... but my memory isn't so great ;) So my opinion doesn't count one little bit.... I was just curious what side they went up. They're SO different.... Does anyone know the elevation gain at deer creek?

Nice to see everyone's out gettin' sum fun!

Jj
I rode it last week and from the rattlesnake TH (just off Deer ck canyon rd.) i climbed up ply. Creek left on ply. mtn. up to the lookout then over to red mesa clockwise, then turned around and reversed it then back to reverse ply. mtn. and back down to the bottom. That was 17 miles and right at +2960'.

And to clarify, i did not clean the lower steep right before the hiking only trail bridge and then walked up the WOS. I can only get past the big water bar. But riding ss that is all i got. I've only seen one person on the ss give it a serious effort and that is bigbluedodge! Now i know it can be cleaned, i've seen the video of Taylor? is that IE. I think even Terry may be in that vid. Either way clean it or not Deer Creek is a pretty sweet trail!! IMHO! :thumbsup:

#42 ·
I was thinking about this thread on the way up Too Long

PBR me! said:

Just sayin.......
I would really love to see someone clean the whole thing. Bottom to top, one shot, no dabs, no hugging trees to rest or regain balance.... Not saying it's not possible given some of the freaks of nature out there, but I'm betting there's not more than a few people who would even have a chance.

Yesterday I hit a stick, it flipped up, jambed my pedal, sent me off the side and I came out of my shoe that stayed clipped to the pedal. That's just the way that trail is! It can be mean....

#43 ·
Like most mortals, I walk both WOS and the water bar steps climbing up to Bergen, and also feel the extra 2k' altitude on Bergen. Both DC and BP are great front range workouts, though Bergen Stagecoach TH starts above DC summit elevation.

Agreed on tech only commentary, though OP's question on toughness was combined tech and fitness categories.

TMT, was your BP route clockwise or otherwise, and did you make BP summit or skirt below it?

#44 ·
PBR me! said:

Just sayin.......
I didn't say I cleaned, I just said I wouldn't consider it technical. Put those rock gardens some where with more O2, and yeah, I could clean most. The only thing I couldn't make on the way down was some of the switch backs. New bike has a dual crown and it will take me some time to adjust.

Take a trip down to Austin some time and you'll see technical trails.

#45 ·
moosehead said:
Like most mortals, I walk both WOS and the water bar steps climbing up to Bergen, and also feel the extra 2k' altitude on Bergen. Both DC and BP are great front range workouts, though Bergen Stagecoach TH starts above DC summit elevation.

Agreed on tech only commentary, though OP's question on toughness was combined tech and fitness categories.

TMT, was your BP route clockwise or otherwise, and did you make BP summit or skirt below it?
Clockwise! Climbing is hard enough for me without extra need for exertion. Yeah, we made the summit. The last half mile was ride 50 ft, stop and gasp for air, repeat. We took the other way down at the split. For me this is great since last year at this time I was still struggling with the climbs on GM! :D

#47 ·
Hardest? Not by a long shot. It ain't easy though. Besides, there are parts on the Green Belt side trails worse than City Park. I'm sure there are trails here in CO as bad or worse too.

I'm just saying most of the trails I've ridden here are not very technical. Bergen is tough but to me its due to the altitude and the length of the climb, not the rock gardens.

Why such a sh!t storm over whether or not Bergen is tech? Next thing people will be b!tching about shuttling Apex.

#49 ·
I would have to say if you pass the guy with the skis/ski boots on his back hiking and the guy flying down the hill on the bmx bike sans helmet and then the guy flying down the hill on the commuter bike, again sans helmet and then the guy on the Trek 9000 (rigid, old as f) in the tank top, once again sans helmet, that Deer Creek is harder. or harder to deal with.

#50 ·
siraerich said:
I would have to say if you pass the guy with the skis/ski boots on his back hiking and the guy flying down the hill on the bmx bike sans helmet and then the guy flying down the hill on the commuter bike, again sans helmet and then the guy on the Trek 9000 (rigid, old as f) in the tank top, once again sans helmet, that Deer Creek is harder. or harder to deal with.
Are you talking about Apex? cause I've seen ALL those (well, except for the dude with the skis/ski boots on his back) over at the pex. just saying...... :D

#51 ·
mountaingoatepics said:
Just give it up folks...Hit your National Forest and ride the deal:thumbsup:

Course I'm probably the one missing out since I've yet to ride either of these gems ...If I'm gonna drive to ride though might as well hit the shiznit that begs to be explored.
Nope. Do not go to these. Please continue exploring the normally unexplored and posting sweet photos. This is your job. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.