Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too much rain?

I think I can.

No good Too much rain?

Oh the rain, still!!!

Only good news is maybe they will lift the fire ban for campers.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Mainly south and east of the Denver metro. In Boulder/Larimer County we have had very little to speak of so far. Hoping to pick some more up tonight...

mtbr member
    I don't think that it's possible that we get too much rain; june was brutal.

Hairshirt Rider
    I don't mind at all, just so long as it lets up tomorrow when I get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    Only good news is maybe they will lift the fire ban for campers.
    I've been waiting for a deluge to see how well last fall's trail work holds up.

ride
    There hasn't been much moisture down here, but it's been raining quite a bit to the west. I was up on Sourdough on the 4th. Peaceful Valley was still super tacky from all the rain. Parts of the 'dough south of Brainard Lake road had standing water and fresh snow from the night before. The forest actually looked lush!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Giggitty giggitty!!
    I just moved here and it's rained everyday since I got here! If Colorado is suppose to average 300 days of sun a year I think it will be 300 consecutive days after this rain lets up!

slow
    Ignaz is right. Moisture appears to be off to the west. Crosier was damp and tacky on Monday, but Horsetooth was dry and dusty tonight.

mtbr member
    We got nearly 5 INCHES of rain last night! A good section of highway 115 is completely gone about 10 miles south of my place.

I did hear on the radio this morning that the National Forest Service plans to lift the campfire ban in a day or two.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

rr
    I don't do PC
    The canyon should be good, maybe a shuttle ride this weekend

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'm stoked to see it! Although, I didn't even bother to pack my bike today since I'm betting on rain tonight. Next Thursday maybe?

I'm curious to see how the Park is holding up. Joe, Vince and I rode on the 4th and things generally looked pretty good. However, now that the ground is saturated, there will probably be more erosion problems. Loudpawlz, what do we need to get an after work work group going again? As we mentioned, I would be happy to play tool jockey.

I think I can.

I'm In

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    I'm stoked to see it! Although, I didn't even bother to pack my bike today since I'm betting on rain tonight. Next Thursday maybe?

I'm curious to see how the Park is holding up. Joe, Vince and I rode on the 4th and things generally looked pretty good. However, now that the ground is saturated, there will probably be more erosion problems. Loudpawlz, what do we need to get an after work work group going again? As we mentioned, I would be happy to play tool jockey.
    After the last couple days I would have to agree, I may take the boy's on a hike today and see what I can find, will keep you posted.
    Up north in my area it has been a steady rain every evening but the hard rains have stayed away, great for or northern rides as the area is mostly DG.
    Could be clear for a ride on Saturday as well, maybe shuttle rroeder, multiples.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

VooDoo user.
    I like the rain. Keeps the "Sally's" at home.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Never complain about too much rain. You will be begging for it again late July and August.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Rain ?? What's that ??

Here in Ft.Collins we got a light sprinkle this afternoon, the first I've seen in weeks. We've gotten 1.22" total since the beginning of April. Trails here are bottomless dust and there isn't a green blade of grass anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS
    Never complain about too much rain. You will be begging for it again late July and August.
    That's when the monsoon flow really kicks in. Things will not dry out until late August/early September at the earliest I predict although I hope I'm wrong. Early June is just a happy memory right now.

Quote Originally Posted by moment
    I bet the Trails are empty today.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 07-08-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Loudpawlz, what do we need to get an after work work group going again?
    I'm on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Well then, slap my butt and call me "Sally," cuz I ain't riding today.

Goofing off?

Help?

Does anyone know if Keystone will be rideable Sunday? I have not been there and don't know what the conditions would be like when wet.

banned
    Jeez. How do you guys ride in Colorado if you don't ride in the rain? I always have raingear in my CamelBak up here on the Western Slope.

My friend was just whining about the rain. I said, "Have fun whining about the rain while I am having a great ride!" Hehe.

Oh, So Interesting!

wet ride today!

Gotdirt, Canyoncreek and I did Kenosha - Georgia Pass today, and it rained ALL DAY. Steady, Soaking Rain... Trail conditions were wet but ok when we left, by the time we got back the same sections of trail that were "just wet", are now underwater. Pretty long sections of the CO Trail are now mini-ponds... We even got a brief sleet-storm on Georgia Pass. Taking the West Jefferson Trail from Georgia Pass Summit down made it worthwhile, though

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Jeez. How do you guys ride in Colorado if you don't ride in the rain? I always have raingear in my CamelBak up here on the Western Slope.

My friend was just whining about the rain. I said, "Have fun whining about the rain while I am having a great ride!" Hehe.

uh, it's not the rain that is bad. it's what ridng on wet trails will do to them if riding them when they are *too* wet. more erosion problems + pissy hikers = potential closure problems.

a lot of front range singletrack that used to be much tighter/narrower is now wide, partially from folks riding when things are still too wet, and partly barney types riding around wet spots, rather than through.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    uh, it's not the rain that is bad. it's what ridng on wet trails will do to them if riding them when they are *too* wet. more erosion problems + pissy hikers = potential closure problems.

a lot of front range singletrack that used to be much tighter/narrower is now wide, partially from folks riding when things are still too wet, and partly barney types riding around wet spots, rather than through.
    I guess so. I'm just so jaded to that mentality anymore. It is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I guess so. I'm just so jaded to that mentality anymore. It is a waste of time.
    Is it raining a lot on the Western Slope too?

There are a lot more people here though, that makes a difference. I don't mind riding in the rain in fact once I get started it's fun. But the trails at this point are gonna be at a point where damage will be easy to cause. Solid rain all day in Evergreen, sometimes light, sometimes heavy.

I talked to my friend who did the Triple Bypass today and he said it was the most miserable ride he's ever done. Solid rain the whole route pretty much. It would let up a little but then come back hard. The amazing thing is how this rain in blanketing the entire southwest and all of CO.

If only it were winter

Ed E

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Is it raining a lot on the Western Slope too?

There are a lot more people here though, that makes a difference. I don't mind riding in the rain in fact once I get started it's fun. But the trails at this point are gonna be at a point where damage will be easy to cause. Solid rain all day in Evergreen, sometimes light, sometimes heavy.

I talked to my friend who did the Triple Bypass today and he said it was the most miserable ride he's ever done. Solid rain the whole route pretty much. It would let up a little but then come back hard. The amazing thing is how this rain in blanketing the entire southwest and all of CO.

If only it were winter

Ed E
    It is raining good right now. Just had a great ride in it. It was so foggy at one point, we could see like 10 feet. It rained big drops. Had full rain gear running. It felt great to mash the pedals in the rain and the rigid 29SS worked well on the slick roots. The Exiwolfs did amazingly well. I didn't expect it.

I have been riding in Colorado and in Aspen in particular for over a decade now. The only thing that damages the trails up here are new houses and golf courses. I was an anal trail cop in my mind for years. After seeing how ridiculous it all was, I decided I would just start doing what I wanted to do without all the PC crap. It was the best choice I ever made even if it is a selfish one in other's minds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast