nice marmot.

Tomorrow, saturday, i should ride...???

hi all.

heading down to denver tomorrow morning from the snowy confines of summit county. after transacting a small amount of business i want to ride my bicycle. with the current forecast, for both the high country and denver, it seems like tomorrow might be a good day to get a sweet ride in. i typically ride the cone when i am in the denver area but i am looking for something new and exciting. any recommendations out there? i do realize this is a rather broad request but i trust in your knowledge. maybe something that won't be super-crowded, a little climbing involved, sugary sweet singletrack, nice views, hot chicks on bicyles (gotta have wildlife), watering hole for cervezas close to trailhead, etc...

cheers
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member

saturday's the day

well you might wanna try golden gate canyon (specifically-- mountain lion / burro loop). not far from centennial cone. no cervezas nearby, but some sweet riding and a little (or lot) less crowded. afterwards you could shoot down to golden to the second largest brewery in town before heading back up the canyon via 6th ave towards summit.

that's probably what i would do anyway. otherwise drop into golden from 6th and ride any of the nearby jeffco trails (chimney, apex, dakota ridge, white ranch, matthews/winters, etc.). if you end up at mw/dakota forgo the beer and stop by the morrison inn afterwards for some mexican food and margaritas!

have fun.

nice marmot.
    cool, thanks!!

where is the mountain lion/burro loop? i didn't know there was other riding near the cone, but, i am grateful you are willing to share!!

mtbr member

bring cash

centennial cone is flowy/fun/fast whereas GGC (mtn lion) is a much more technical trail w/ some climbing thrown in too.
    depends what floats your boat-- i much prefer GGC over CC (fwiw, i'll take my rigid hardtail to CC and the full-suspension ride to GGC).

this map will be your friend:
    http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre...teArea2062.pdf

look at it for obvious loops/lollipops/figure8s (just make sure to hit up mtn lion) depending on the time you have to spare. note: i personally prefer to ride mtn lion clockwise.

(i'd offer to be your tour guide, but i'm headed south tomorrow).

EDIT: this is a state park, so be sure to bring $5 for entry fee (or maybe it's $3??).
    Last edited by gotdirt; 10-19-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: bring cash
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

nice marmot.
    thanks gd!

yeah i have ridden the cone a bunch o' times, both ways, plus up/down mayhem gulch. from your description it sounds as though i better check out mtn lion and the surrounding area! ridin' a 575 so i am definitley into what you have described. how much snow is there in that area? i have a feeling there might be a lull in riding on the frange with the current storm.

cheers.