Yappy little dog!

Today at Keystone Ranch

Keystone Ranch

I'm a groupie. I enjoy riding with a group a lot more than riding alone. Colorado is a little different that back east when it comes to clubs. There are not a lot of them. Most people tend to meet up near a trail or LBS and form smaller riding groups. That's great for those who have been here a while, but I need a little extra help. Along came the recommendation of Team Evergreen. So today I joined my first Team evergreen ride at Keystone Ranch just passed the continental divide. John the ride leader graciously agreed to drive us to the trailhead just outside of Keystone Ski Area. Starting at around 7500' we met up with two others giving us a nice small group of three gals and two guys.

I was a little worried that my lungs would not hold up, but at least there was another rider who was visiting from sea level.

The ride started with a LONG fire road climb into the ski area and passed many beaver damns.

The climb continued for miles, but the scenery was worth it.

John stops to get his bearings. Across the stream and straight up or continue on?

We continue on until we get to the Outback ski lift where the fire road changes over to loose double track and continues to climb.

This sharp turn gave us all some trouble. I tried it twice before making it.

Finally, after climbing forever we reached the top and the Colorado Trail.

Stop for some views, lower the seat, and begin an awesome screaming downhill. I still have the smile on my face!

Somewhere along the way we make a turn off of the CO Trail and head down into the bowl. Still going down! Wow the climb was really worth the payoff.

Things slow down as we hit this little mess.

With so much downhill it's hard to find an unhappy face.

We finish up with a gradual climb up the aquaduct trail and then back down to the car stopping for a photo-op with Colorado's state flower, the Columbine.

A fantastic 21.5 mile 3500' of climbing ride with some great people! I am looking forward to many more rides with Team Evergreen.

GPS stuff:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great pics, that places look awesome. I look forward to riding some time soon. How do you get there from Denver?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray_coach
    Great pics, that places look awesome. I look forward to riding some time soon. How do you get there from Denver?
    From Team Evergreen's Website:

West I-70, Loveland Pass (US 6), at the western end of Keystone, turn south on W. Keystone Rd., sharply turn left, staying on the main road. After crossing the Snake River, turn right on Soda Ridge Rd. Drive west approximately 1 mile, turn left on a small, fairly well camouflaged Keystone Gulch Rd. Park before the access gate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool, thanks man. Maybe one day I will run into you up there.

slow
    Thanks for the pix. That used to be my after work ride, and is still one of my favorites. You rode right past my old house. Glad to see you are enjoying your new home state.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Very nice! I was looking for near-Denver epic and I never thought of KS. Thanks again!

eci
    thanks for the pics

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    From Team Evergreen's Website:

West I-70, Loveland Pass (US 6), at the western end of Keystone, turn south on W. Keystone Rd., sharply turn left, staying on the main road. After crossing the Snake River, turn right on Soda Ridge Rd. Drive west approximately 1 mile, turn left on a small, fairly well camouflaged Keystone Gulch Rd. Park before the access gate.
    You riding Alderfer w/ TE tonight?
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    You riding Alderfer w/ TE tonight?
    Wish I could. I can't get out early enough from work to make it there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Schnauzers, I know you've only been there a short time, but how's it been so far? I'm another NJ native and my s/o and I have been contemplating making the move. Any thoughts?
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen
    Schnauzers, I know you've only been there a short time, but how's it been so far? I'm another NJ native and my s/o and I have been contemplating making the move. Any thoughts?
    Everyday I wake up, look outside, see those mountains, see the sunny blue sky, and ask myself why I wasted 42 years of my life in New Jersey. Already I have gained more elevation in one week than all the rides I ever did in New Jersey. Well call that a blessing or a punsihment, but it's still unreal.

The people are very friendly. Even the "rich" folk in Cherry Creek wave and say hi to me when I ride by in the morning on the way to work.

There are bike paths everywhere! I can get my base mileage in without hitting a road or worse yet, getting hit on the road.

I don't think you can run out of places to ride or see and there are equally as many things to do. Shoot, I spent half a day just watching the crazy kayakers practicing in the river by Confluence Park.

If you live in the city you can be at the mountains in 20 minutes (I'll get flamed on that, but I have had no trouble). Cost of living is about 20% less here (even gas is cheaper). If you live in the mountains, well I think that's paradise.

I said when I moved here there would be no looking back. I meant it. I LOVE my new home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    CO has one of the highest suicide rates in the states due to people moving out here assuming the change would also change their miserable lives, FYI. Always the ray of sunshine....jd.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member

Good job!

Wish I could. I can't get out early enough from work to make it there.
    Oh well, thought I'd get a chance to meet you. Nice Keystone pics.
    BTW: You should have ridden Charlie's on your BC ride.

Who rode Keystone?, can't tell from the pics.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Yappy little dog!
    Oh well, thought I'd get a chance to meet you. Nice Keystone pics.
    BTW: You should have ridden Charlie's on your BC ride.

Who rode Keystone?, can't tell from the pics.
    Other than Jon, I don't remember their names. One gal was from Boulder, one from Breck, and the other was visiting from Michigan.

mtbr member

Good job!

Other than Jon, I don't remember their names. One gal was from Boulder, one from Breck, and the other was visiting from Michigan.
    I thought I recognized the boulder gal. Is he's the one drinking from the bottle?

Yappy little dog!
    I thought I recognized the boulder gal. Is he's the one drinking from the bottle?
    Yup. That's her.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sept

Hey Man,
    I will be over there in Sept, pm me, lets hook up for a ride or two.