Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

titus super moto!

check this out!

super moto link

especially the last paragraph on the page. interesting how its set up for trail or FR with just the switch of a fork nad shock. makes me think it may be the way to go, cheaper than having 2 bikes (unless the titus is boo koo pricey)

anyone ever see or ride one of these?

locked - time out
    Awww FFS...I have been perfectly happy with my current ride, why'd you have to do that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

me?!?!

why did IT have to do that to ME

that's one sweet bike huh?

gotta demo one! will call titus soon and find out how.

that's my problem, i get all my eggs in one basket (like i did with the chamuco) and think "this is it, this is it" then i find, nope, not quite. but i like the description

you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

do i wanna ask...

what FFS means??

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    check this out!

super moto link

especially the last paragraph on the page. interesting how its set up for trail or FR with just the switch of a fork nad shock. makes me think it may be the way to go, cheaper than having 2 bikes (unless the titus is boo koo pricey)

the sports garage in boulder has one for sale. i went into their shop looking for a new 5-6" travel frame and this was one of the bikes they recommended. apparently, they are hard to get a hold of. go check it out. and yes, its spendy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

parts list?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    the sports garage in boulder has one for sale. i went into their shop looking for a new 5-6" travel frame and this was one of the bikes they recommended. apparently, they are hard to get a hold of. go check it out. and yes, its spendy.
    whats it set up with?

coil rear? DC fork? what. do they have a website?

locked - time out
    what FFS means??
    for f*** sake...

Very sweet bike - the pricing on their site looks to be around 1550 for a painted frame. If I were seriously in the market for a new bike, this would definitely be in the top 4 or so. You should check it out, wildman

Stand back

also on my list

whats it set up with?

coil rear? DC fork? what. do they have a website?
    It's an extremely versatile bike, with just 2 faults that I can come up with:
    1. slight weight penalty when compared to more trail-ish bikes, and
    2. interrupted seat tube, so you'd also want (as I had for my Switchblade) 2 seatpost and seat setups - one long one for xc, one shorty for dj/ urban/ dh
    And Decline has a test (altho not very in depth) on it this month. They liked it, but then they liked every bike they tested this month. The best thing I got from the test was the fact that built up for fr/dh, it came in at 39 lbs. Pretty good w/ a big old coil shock and triple clamp forks.

I've been looking to see one in person, and never yet seen one at WRC. Guess it's a little outside of their range...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Perpetually single track
    My buddy shaine rides one....a bit heavy for an all around bike. His is about 40lbs. Fun for me to play on though...

Hairshirt Rider
    That would fit the bill nicely. I'm on my second Titus, and the Supermoto would have been the third if not for the sweet deal on the AC.

I believe there is one Front Ranger who has one built up as a trail bike - perhaps he'll chime here. If you haven't already, do a search on the Titus forum too.

Bodhisattva
    Great bike.
    Titus is a top-notch manufacturer & I've been beating on mine for 3 years.

But....heavy (heavier than Chamuco) and expensive (ditto Chamuco).

Wildman, if you're moving into this category of bike then also consider the Turner 6-Pack & Azonic Saber.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check this out...

My buddy got one in early September and loves it. Check out the thread below. He hasn't weighed it but were guessing it's around 32-33 lbs. It's a little heavy for a trail bike but he's a clydesdale so it doesn't matter. It's set-up with 7" in the rear and 6" up front. Doesn't climb as well as my 5 Spot but I have trouble keeping up with him when gravity takes over. He bought the frame from Hammerhead bikes and paid MSRP... $1600.00. Not a bad price for what you get. He bought the rest of his components from Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery. I'll let him know you're asking and maybe he'll chime in. Good luck.

Super-Moto Ready to Ride

Bodhisattva
    Even with the Mav, I'm guessing it's closer to 34-35# with the coil shock & mechanical brakes. Still very manageable for a heavy duty trailride/FR bike, but I don't think the Mav is a good fork for FR and would suggest something like the Fox 36 (adds a pound) or Marz 66 (adds 2).
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks, all good input

the geometry page lists 67.5 HA with 7x7. 70 wiht 6x6 trail setup. im wanting to demo one wiht 7 rear and 6 front. should steepen the HA by a degree or so?

it will definitely have to stay under 37#, as that's what larrys cham came in on my scale here at work. and if i remember correctly its HA was 67.5 also (dial scale protractor thingy on head tube). again, loved the cham, but looking for steeper HA for all around and still want the beef. saw the SM on titus' site and quickly fell in love wiht its looks (as i did the cham) and the performance after reading the desc.

any thoughts (squeaky, et al) on a 7 coil rear, and 6 SC fork? (i liked the z150 alot on the cham).

even tho the setup is made to swap shocks and forks for FR/TB riding, i dont think ill be investing in the parts right away, so want ot set up like the cham and see how it rides.

got an email in to titus to see bout demo'ing, will post their reply.

wheat rige doesnt carry them instock "let us know if we can do anything else for you".
    That's it? no, "hey, let us see what we can do?" or, "I'll call titus and check on their policy?"

oh well....

ill get a bike soon! just killing me in the meantime. specially seeing all your pics at palmer!

thanks guys

mike

rr
    I don't do PC
    Mr flip flop, cool bike. When you demo it make sure and do a decent climb on it so you get a feel for how it goes uphill too. The weight looks good and the HA looks good in the 6" mode, probably 69 or so real life, I bet the bike climbs pretty good in 6" mode. That bike should handle some of the palmer stuff you want to do no problemo, but is it stronger or a better pedaler than the Cham?, the Cham is half the price right?

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Someone was selling a Chamuco in the mtbr classifieds a bit ago for like $1500 or something. Search on it. Sweet deal considering that when you're done with it you can trade it into Ventana for a new frame and get 1/3 off. Assuming something like an X5, that would be like $650 in savings right there! Titus is great, but hard to pass up Ventana (new or used) for less $$$. Also check what Larry M can get you a new Chamuco for.

Actually, here's what you should do. Buy a Chamuco (or whatever) frame and then buy a Weyless 67 from Supergo for $999 (there's an 18 left at the Westminster Supergo) and then swap the parts over. The build includes a Z150, Hayes 8", mostly XT... Pretty darn good for the price. Who knows what you could get selling the frame though. The Swinger 4-Way shock should get a decent bit though. Anyway, an idea. S

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

maybe i should change my username...

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Mr flip flop,...
    you have a point

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

you should come shoe shopping with me sometime

takes me a year to find something. and those are returnable!

imagine my chagrin bringing a 2-3k bike home only to find out its wrong for me and i cant return it

man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

this just in, from titus guy...

double post, real one below....
    Last edited by wildman; 12-22-2004 at 12:30 PM. Reason: none

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

this just in, from titus guy...

i emailed them some questions about the frame pivot where the shock link attaches (looks a little thin) and some demo questions, heres my reply.

"Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry. The Super moto frame is in its 3rd year since development and we've seen no issues with shock mounting on the front triangle's pivot block. The versatility and durability of the frames have been flawless. Your concerns are understood, but thus far a non-issue for performance. Other than website or catalog, I do not have individual photos of the specific area you are questioning.

"Freeride set up" is a very subjective thing. You may want to simply call me to discuss options; as it would take me all morning to type recommendations variable upon weight, travel, shock and manufacturer preferences... 800-858-4887. You may request a demo locally through Pro Cycling. Call Reese at 719-266-447. The shop may request a demo fee from you to cover the shipping cost back to Titus. We have medium and large SuperMoto built up as either XC/5.8" travel air shock bike or 6" Freeride set up. Let the shop know which option you prefer.
    Sincerely,

etc
    etc
    etc"

guess ill make some calls....

sincerely,

mr. flip flop

Outcast
    The sports garage in boulder has one of these built up on their sales floor, I saw it there last week.
    But you should buy my asx frame instead; it's much better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

you really wanna sell that thing dont you...

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    The sports garage in boulder has one of these built up on their sales floor, I saw it there last week.
    But you should buy my asx frame instead; it's much better!
    you post your ad on every post you post (huh?!?!?)

anyways,....

A) ive ridden an asx, ProCycling, parking lot, steps, grassy hills and some electrical boxes. Dont think it pedals how I want to.

B) another poster above mentioned the sports garage. i asked for more details, didnt get any yet. found the sports garage online and there was no mention of this bike there. maybe ill call, but would love it if you or the other poster knew how it was built up

C) you really wanna sell that thing dont you

mr flip flop

Outcast
    I'd place "my advertisement" in my signature, if I knew how to. I'm just reminding you it's for sale; as much as you flip/flop, I might get you at a vulnerable time!
    I don't recall how the titus was built up; I was there on my own errand so I didn't pay attention to it. Call the sports garage and ask them!
    Yes, I want to sell the asx, I allready bought it's replacement.

Stand back

That's another one

Add the RFX to your list, Wildman. If you can find a used one in good shape, it'd do everything the S'moto would, but with an uninterupted seat tube and for cheaper.
    Hah, and you thought this was gonna get easier...
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

not only a salesman, but a clever one at that....!

...as much as you flip/flop, I might get you at a vulnerable time! ....
    e tu brute' (or how ever you say it!!!)

whatcha got there? at the risk of sounding stupid or clueless....

Outcast
    as dbabuser pointed out, it's a turner rfx. They stopped making them in '02. and have now resurrected it as the six pack for '05. 9 pound frame, four bar suspension, etc. I can't wait to ride it. It's all built up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Just get it....

The SM rules! I upgraded from the Quazi-Moto and couldn't be happier. Spend most of my riding time on the Front Range and in the summer head up to the High Country for the classics. I'm riding an XL and I'm well into the Clydesdale class. The bike doesn't slow me down on the way up and definately not on the way down.

My last ride was a couple weekends ago at Palmer Park and the bike did everthing I asked it to do. I'm hurting big time from an illegal dismount that landed me on my tail bone and has me out of commission right now. Nothing to do with the bike, just lack of mad crazy skilz on my part.
    Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol - FRMBP - Patrolling Buffalo Creek in the Pike National Forest for over 14 years

Outcast
    Here's a pic I've borrowed from another mtbr member; it's his turner six pack. A real beauty!

Hairshirt Rider
    As long as we're throwing out additional recommendations, have you looked at the Azonic Saber

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You want super burly and all day rideable?

Ventana La Bruja! 6" of travel-mine is built up to 38lbs and I've ridden it everywhere. Mt Falcon, Apex, Chimney Gulch-etc-so it can climb. My thought has been that this is THE bike for Front Range riding-it eats up anything around here and then can be ridden all day. Actually climbs really well. I rarely climb in the granny with it despite the weight.
    If I could figure out how to copy a picture to this post I'd show you.

I did see a dude w/the Super Moto climbing up Falcon one do-so I'm going to assume that it's the same type of bike. Also, Titus has awesome quality and from what I have heard customer service as well. How can you go wrong?

eci
    check this out!

super moto link

ok, youve checked out a ton of bikes, my suggestion is the ironhorse 7point 7, totaly weight is 38lbs which can easily be lowered by changing out a few parts.
    Go here
    Myself and possibly DBABUSER are getting these frames. Ive been riding on IH bikes
    for 2 years now. Their customer service is top notch. The part spec is amazing for what you get.

Sorry to throw a new bike in the loop but i know what i like for the riding you described.

Outcast
    Well hell, since we're totally inundating wildman with suggestions, spinning his head like a top, here's another one. Why be concerned with weight, as long as the bike has what it takes to get you to the top. What you should check out is getting 400 cc's of four stroke power between your legs. Conquer any hill, and cruise with 12 inches of travel front and rear!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    you post your ad on every post you post (huh?!?!?)

anyways,....

A) ive ridden an asx, ProCycling, parking lot, steps, grassy hills and some electrical boxes. Dont think it pedals how I want to.

B) another poster above mentioned the sports garage. i asked for more details, didnt get any yet. found the sports garage online and there was no mention of this bike there. maybe ill call, but would love it if you or the other poster knew how it was built up

C) you really wanna sell that thing dont you

mr flip flop
    Sports Garage is just a little local bike shop - at least relative to a Supergo or Performance or something. They're not going to have their website updated to reflect every bike that's in stock. Just call em - 303-473-0033.

My suggestion is to pick a budget and then go from there. That will at least narrow things down. Otherwise it's kinda tough comparing a 6-Pack to a Chamuco to an Ironhorse to a Weyless. Since you've got plenty in the hopper that are in the $1100 range, what about a Bullit? Sports Garage has those also.

Oh, and a used RFX is always an EXCELLENT option. One went on ebay recently for like $1300 fully built. I had one briefly - bought it used and then stripped the parts for my old Ventana and then sold off the RFX frame. Have regretted that move at times. That thing was freaking sweet! S

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

yeah, you all are making me crazy....!

but it is greatly appreciated. like i said in another post somewhere, when i get my bike, im gonna have a celebration and all of you who helped will be invited.

Renegade, I own a Honda XR 650 (400 is a little weak )

Fellas, Im off ot cincinnati for the holidays, but will still be hanging on this and many other threads, so keep em coming. will call titus in january.

Have a great Christmas and safe new year.

mike "the poster formally known as wildman", mr flip flop

PS how do you put a pic on these threads, when i hit the insert image button, it only asks for my "text" and then nothing (unlike the insert hyper link button which is text and then the actual link)

hmmmm.....
    Last edited by wildman; 12-23-2004 at 10:04 AM. Reason: add more comments

Outcast

Renegade, I own a Honda XR 650 (400 is a little weak )

PS how do you put a pic on these threads, when i hit the insert image button, it only asks for my "text" and then nothing (unlike the insert hyper link button which is text and then the actual link)

hmmmm.....
    WEAK! just kidding. It's not quite stock. She pulls pretty good for a 400.
    You can upload images from your computer, but you're limited as to how big a pic you can upload. Or, you can link an image that's hosted at another site. That's what I do. That's the little button, yellow square with a mountian profile, just under the font size dropdown thingy.

Stand back

possibly?

[QUOTE=snowskilz]
    Go here
    Myself and possibly DBABUSER are getting these frames. Ive been riding on IH bikes
    for 2 years now. Their customer service is top notch. The part spec is amazing for what you get. [QUOTE]

I'd say the probability is somewhere around 95% for me. There's always that 5% chance that someone will make me a deal I can't refuse on a VPfree or S'moto. Yeah, maybe more like a 2% chance...
    But I'm not going to recommend the bike until I've had a chance to ride it, or at least read more reviews on it. I guess I'm sold on it based on the rave Hollowpoint reviews. If any of that pedalling prowess can transfer over to a 7" do it all bike, sign me up. Can't wait to see how it elevates my game.
    Golden Bike Park

My cup runneth over
    While on the Titus bandwagon, you might consider a used Quasimoto (what the Supermoto replaced). I have been riding a QM all over the front range for a number of years and even raced it several times in off-road tris (even Keystone Exterra - now there's a climb!). While the SM has slightly longer legs, the QM is still flexible in switching between 4.5 and 5.7 inch travel.

Maybe you could invite everyone on this thread (who's willing) to meet you at a trail head of your choice and you can ride as many bikes as you have legs for - you would only need to bring the beer.

Good luck.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    While on the Titus bandwagon, you might consider a used Quasimoto (what the Supermoto replaced). I have been riding a QM all over the front range for a number of years and even raced it several times in off-road tris (even Keystone Exterra - now there's a climb!). While the SM has slightly longer legs, the QM is still flexible in switching between 4.5 and 5.7 inch travel.

Maybe you could invite everyone on this thread (who's willing) to meet you at a trail head of your choice and you can ride as many bikes as you have legs for - you would only need to bring the beer.

Good luck.
    There's a brand new ('02 - never built) QM frame on this site for $1100 right now - it's a small though -not sure what size you need.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yo flip flop, glad you like your new handle You know I'm f*cking with ya. I think you should take whatever bike your serious about and do a canyon ride with us, we can do Buckhorn and over to 666 and if it passes this climbing test than buy it. Any of these bikes will handle the drops/jumps and go downhill nice but will they climb/pedal like you want?

Outcast
    Okay Wildman, just to keep you flip-flopping, here's a pic of my RFX built up.

My cup runneth over
    Renegade, How are you liking the GD seatpost? I have one on my new Burner and like it a lot. Just back from a ride in the snow and it was great to be able drop and rise the seat remotely (especially useful when you see the snow drifts ahead!).

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Okay Wildman, just to keep you flip-flopping, here's a pic of my RFX built up.

At first glance I looked and thought you were running a suspension seatpost on a 6" travel bike and started laughing, but then after closer examination I realized what it really was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

currently resting my brain in cincinnati

hey all! made it to cincinnati between the Delta/comair flight issues. cinci had a ton of snow and all flights were not going there weds and thurs. we were to fly out friday and got to the airport and checked in just fine. no issues, didnte even search my bag, just swiped the zippers for bomb stuff and off we were. got in fri afternoon no problemos. watched the news chirstmas morning and they said delta comair was essentially shut down for that day and today (sun) due to computer problems! did we grab the window or what!!!

So i see some of you posted you presents. we did it a little different this year, drew names, only exchanged one gift per person (for the most part--there is a new 1 yr old in the fam now, so he got a lot more). anyways, i got a indoor outdoor thermometer (ooooh), but hey, that's what i requested, so. got one at work and i can see what the lunchtime temp is to plan my riding that day. (makes a difference in what i eat for snacks in the a.m. )

when i get back, i want all you NICE fellas to hook me up wiht a test ride. i need to get this selection thing wrapped up! someone suggested bringing the beer, no problem but i dont drink and have never bought the stuff so jsut pick some up and ill pay you back!!

hope you all have a great christmas and safe new year. ill be here!!

later

-wild.... I mean, mr flip flop

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Renegade, How are you liking the GD seatpost? I have one on my new Burner and like it a lot. Just back from a ride in the snow and it was great to be able drop and rise the seat remotely (especially useful when you see the snow drifts ahead!).
    I love the gravity dropper post. It's so sweet to be able to drop that sucker as you crest the rise in preparation for the descent, and then to pop it back up at the foot of the climb, all while still in motion, never taking your hands off the bars. I new it was a keeper the first week I had it.

mtbr member

Jmo

Quote Originally Posted by TrailDude
    The SM rules! I upgraded from the Quazi-Moto and couldn't be happier.
    I've only test rode a SM at the FFTF for the hell of it, after buying a Quasi last year. I gotta say I know I went with the right bike. The action on the Quasi is just a whole lot more smooth and the SM frame is so heavy. I don't mind pulling around a little extra weight, but my feeling is the SM is really intended for light and regular FR.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

No Titus anymore...
    [QUOTE=wildman]check this out!

I've got one. I live in Longmont ride all over the SW. It's heavy (I have the coil Z150-heavy), but it climbs well. It drop even better.
    I recommend putting the Titec telescoping seatpost on it. You can raise it to climb and drop it when flying down Vail, shuttling Apex, etc.

Shut up Kirk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

the 36 year old grom
    I like my super moto. it does everythin I expect it to do and more. its a sweet ride

but, it is a very heavy frame. 10.5 pounds. the coil shock is 2.5 pounds of that ( its a 2.75 inch stroke shock). and I'd compare it to a 2004+ yeti ASX. but, I like the horst link suspension more.

my super moto is just under 37 pounds. And that is with a trail bike build. I have chrisking everything, a Marz MX pro fork (4lb). mavic 819 rims, continental vertical pro UST tires ( 750g tires,no stans), carbon bars, XT hollow tech 2 cranks.

the only chubby parts I have are the titec telescopic post, time Z control pedals, and 8 inch avid brakes.

you can not be disapointed with a supermoto, unless you are trying to build a 32 pound trail bike.

In my opinion a super moto should be built up to 40 pounds.

trail waggler
    Just remember that you want the 'FR' Supermoto, the older standard SM is alittle heavier. I've looked at one of those for a year or so, very nice 4-bar Horst link bike, with more reliable service that a Azonic Saber ( which I believe is being discontinued).

Larry @ mnthighcyclery.com built one up for a customer a while back, give him a shout out about it, and they are a great deal for a Titus, $1599 new, I believe.

Awesome ride Renny, dude, you gots TOO much di-sposible income, good for you. And those bar-remote Gravity Droppers are at the top of my wish list, have you had any issues with it?

the 36 year old grom
    Good point Dave.

just to clear it up, I got the super moto FR, it is a 2004. and it's ~10.5 pounds. Titus said they can knock over 2 pounds off the frame by using the Switch Blade chain stay and an air shock/with different linkage.

the stock chain stay on the super moto can clear bigger tires, then the switch blade chain stay.

Also, in regards to the azonic bike, it still looks like a cool bike, but it is just a re-bagged Asian bike, named the xtension xplore. http://www.xtensionbikes.com/xtension-xplore.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Depends...

If you were a Clyde like I am then the extra weight is not an issue.
    Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol - FRMBP - Patrolling Buffalo Creek in the Pike National Forest for over 14 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast