Thread: Tires for CO

Wheeeee!
    Nov 2007

Tires for CO

I'm using 26x2.0 Hutchinson Scorpion Airlights, which came with my new mtb. In 5 rides, I've had two flats, both from thorns.

I do all my riding in Colorado Springs and surrounding area. From what I read, the tires i have now are great for mud, which doesn't do me any good here.

I'm thinking of getting new tires that are more puncture resistant and better for riding around the Springs (including in the winter).

Any suggestions? There are so many tires, its hard to know where to look first.
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

We're all wrong.

2 meters tall. 13.37 Stone. Yeah, I'm a freak of nature.

Thread Terrorist
    Thorn-proof tires are hard to come by. Try using a slime tube and/or mr. tuffys. DH casings are better (thicker and stronger). The Conti Vert-protection are better than generics. Specialized or Maxxis DH based tires can help.

Endo-free since July '08
    I prefer tire liners to slime...less rolling resistance and less mess. Plus, slime will sometimes dry out if left alone for too long.

Tire-wise, I've ridden Mythos IRC XC rears for the last 3 years and love 'em. I found some at Performance for a whopping $10 each recently.

For the front, my all-time favorite is a WTB Mutanoraptor. Good braking traction, adhears well enough to wet rocks and roots, and tracks like a laser. I'm not sure if they still make them or not. Anyway, I've been through 4 of those with only 2 flats. One was from pinch-flatting in Buffalo Creek of all places, and the other was when I took a goathead in the sidewall. I don't know how that's possible.
    Just keep spinning.

Rolling
    Hey, I love those tires but thorns...forget it. Like all others said, you need slime or liners. Tires won't do it.

Or you need to stay off the lowlands. The thorns don't invade the higher elevation trails. I haven't even encountered them on palmer even. They seem to love the sides of the pavement.

I heart the drops
    convet to tubless and use stans it gets most punctures sealed fast as far as tire selection I run the wtb weirwolf 2.55 low tread and I love them I am ordering another set as soon as these ones die
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Stan's is the way to go.

I've used slime tubes, monstrous thorn resistant tubes, Mr. Tuffy, Slime liners as well as homemade liners, and they're better than nothing, but nothing is nearly as effective as Stan's.

..ouch
    For smaller tires (2.25s) I've had great luck with Panaracer Cinders in the past. Excellent all around grip and very durable.. Still won't survive goatheads though.

Wheeeee!
    Nov 2007
    Ok, well looks like the thorn proof tires are a pipe dream. SOoo.. what are some good tires for the type of terrain around Colorado springs?
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

We're all wrong.

mtbr member

Anything that can hold air can lose air

But going tubeless w/Stan's sealant is pretty darned close to flat proof. In the four years I've ridden on tubeless tires, I've (knock on wood) never had a flat despite living in goathead heaven. I've actually only been witness to two tubeless flats- one was because they guy wasn't using any sealant, and one was because Panaracer Smokes aren't cut out for tubeless duty.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Nevegal in the springs

I've run Kenda Nevegals in the springs for the last couple years. Not the fastest tire in the world but very durable and hooks up good for the trails around here.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    I liked my hutchinson Pythons, and recently switched out the rear for a Ritchey Z-Max pro, and I love it so far, even though it's a bit heavier than the Python, the meaty tread hooks up better in the soft stuff.

..ouch
    For a larger "freeride" type tire the Schwalbe Big Betty triple compound is hard to beat as an all around tire for the front range (see previous threads).

For a faster rolling XC tire I'll refer to my early comment about the Panaracer Cinders. They're not the fastest tire, but they hook up great in both dry and wet and still have enough volume to protect your rims from the dings and pinch flats that go along with the some of the rockier trails down there. Predictable, durable and cheap.

Wheeeee!
    Nov 2007
    So I picked up some True Goo Tubes and put em in today.I'll see how they work tomorrow. If they don't work, I've heard about kevlar belted tires. Are they just waaay to heavy, or is there a decent tire which has kevlar belts in it?
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

We're all wrong.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by NameTaken
    So I picked up some True Goo Tubes and put em in today.I'll see how they work tomorrow. If they don't work, I've heard about kevlar belted tires. Are they just waaay to heavy, or is there a decent tire which has kevlar belts in it?
    I don't know of any tire that has kevlar BELTS.

Lots have kevlar beads... and they're quite light compared to the wire beaded tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I don't know of any tire that has kevlar BELTS.

Lots have kevlar beads... and they're quite light compared to the wire beaded tires.

Here's one just as an example

So they do exist, however I don't know of any that are of higher quality than the forte brand ones at performance. That being said, they do work well, I absolutely recommend the forte Kevlar belted tires for any commuter type purposes. Another great product for flat resistance is Spin Skins tire liners.
    Ultra light weight compared to most other tire liners and incredibly tough.

As far as sealents go I prefer either Stans no flat's solution or true goo over slime.

Hope anything I've had to say helps someone, cheers.

Wheeeee!
    Nov 2007
    So theres no non-commuter kevlar belted tires, for xc? Is it because they are so heavy?
    I can't go riding without a flat the goatheads are so bad here. Maybe if the true goo tubes dont work, ill add those tire liners you suggested Dan.
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

We're all wrong.

Oh, So Interesting!
    So theres no non-commuter kevlar belted tires, for xc? Is it because they are so heavy?
    I can't go riding without a flat the goatheads are so bad here. Maybe if the true goo tubes dont work, ill add those tire liners you suggested Dan.
    Here you go:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...ipTires26_Flat

I run the 26 x 1.5 slick as a commuter tire, its very good.

For regular mtb tires, I like Maxxis, and run a Highroller rear / Advantage front for trail.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Kevlar belt tires are just for commuters and hybreds not really for XC. I doubt you could find one with a tread that's suitable for trail riding.

As for tubes with sealant, I'm not a fan. When they flat they're almost impossible to patch and pinch flats are still possible. I honestly think going the Stan's NoTubes (www.notubes.com) tubeless conversion is the way to go if you're sick of goathead flats. The trade off is expense (obviously) and more bike stand maintainence, which is better than the trailside variety.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    DMR moto diggers. It's a dirt jump tire that still has plenty of tread but rolls ridiculously fast. Marked 2.35 but it's big volume since the tread is fairly small. Hardcore mud is the only thing it sucks at but you shouldn't ride in that out here anyway...

I ride em with a seven inch freeride bike. Had em for about two months with no flats at all. And I get them down to 25/35 front/rear PSI for downhills.

Weighs in at ~800 grams so they aren't that light, but they roll SO FAST you won't even notice. And they're wicked cheap.

What kind of trails are you riding down there anyway? FoCo has goatheads everywhere but if you religiously stay on the trail you never have a problem.