Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire Rave

Rolling

Tire Rave

It's rare I find the perfect tire....It's like the perfect beer.

With the tires in mind, I have a tire fetish...even in photographing them.

However.......................

After glorious reviews about the Schwalbe Big Betty, I of course, got one.

It sat there for nearly a year...in my travel bag...desperately waiting it must have been. I was punishing it like a good Dom does.

I finally put it on three weeks ago in Moab..going "meh"....on the front...to replace a perfectly good Panaracer 2.4 which I love the way it corners and hooks up, but was like molasses on the climbs

Oh my how Betty is different...

The Big Betty stepped up and kicked some b!tch ass. It has it all. Solid cornering knobs. Fast, Fat (sorry, full figured big and beautiful)...but perfectly balanced. I love her rubber.

Seriously...An amazing tire. Simply amazing.

Pix coming soon...with leather whips and all that stuff.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-19-2007 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They come highly recommended by some of the best in the biz. I will be trying them out next. I'm on the Alberts now and like them a lot but the Bettys step up the grip and confidence even more, I hear.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    My tire collection is embarrassingly vast. No, really. I make Imelda Marcos' shoe collection look like it was assembled by a pococurante. But, I have no Betty.

Today's ride was on a Kenda Kinetics 2.6 Stick E folder in front (about 840 grams), and a Michelin "Mountain Dry [2] X" 2.3 folder in the rear (750'ish). The Michelin is a true to size high volume fast roller, hard to beat on hardpack. The Kinetics 2.6 Stick E is a damn good "big" tire made even better since Jenson's is selling them for like $9 these days.

Pic of the Michi...

Last edited by DWF; 10-20-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Got the tire name wrong.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

trail waggler

Wurd on the Kinetics...

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    . The Kinetics 2.6 Stick E is a damn good "big" tire made even better since Jenson's is selling them for like $9 these days.
    I like 'em too, got 4 for $5 each, then 4 more for free!

Very sticky on rock, good everywhere else!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

trail waggler
    Uhh, never mind.
    Last edited by daveM; 10-20-2007 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member

Wink since i'm sure i won't be the only one...

po·co·cu·ran·te /ˌpoʊkoʊkʊˈrænti, -ˈrɑn-, -kyʊ-; It. ˌpɔkɔkuˈr- poh-koh-koo-ran-tee, -rahn-, -kyoo-; It. paw-kaw-koo-rahn-te] - /-ti/ adjective
    –noun
    1. a careless or indifferent person.
    –adjective
    2. caring little; indifferent; nonchalant.

[SIZE="1"](i'll have to try those bettys... haven't ran any of the schwalbes yet)[/SIZE]

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    It's rare I find the perfect tire....It's like the perfect beer.

Oh my how Betty is different..
    I was big on the Nics for a few rounds, but the price, ouch.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey Rich, my Fire FR weighs 880gr on the digi scale, thought the Big Bettys were heavier? I need to try that 2.6 Kinetics up front. I run UST on the smaller bike and the Sch Fat Albert is the best UST front I've tried, altho a bit heavy for an XC bike

Bodhisattva
    Rich....I concur

For '08 Schwalbe dropped over 100gm from the Betty. The sidewall will be made from their Kevlar snakeskin compound instead of butyl. There will also be a UST verstion weighly only slightly more than the current version and a mega-carcass DH version.

I've been running BBs F & R for 2 years. Sometimes I put a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 in the rear which rolls better & is lighter but doesn't seem to give up too much forward traction.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    I like 'em too, got 4 for $5 each, then 4 more for free!

Very sticky on rock, good everywhere else!
    You must of got yours where I got mine, 2 pair for free!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Thread Terrorist
    hmmm.... I'm a huge Maxxis fan, but the 2.6's look fun.... I'll have to get a few! can't have too many options for tire!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Bettys are probably the best tires for aggressive riding here but I do like the Minions a lot. I wish they slapped a UST bead on that tire though. In my old age, paranoia sets in and I hate converting tires anymore. The nice thing about the Minions is they are practically as airtight as a good UST tire. The three I like for Colorado are the Albert/Fat Albert, Minion 2.35, and the Betty, though I have not tried it yet- waiting for the UST version. They should also do the Nobby Nics in 2.4 UST. That would be a good one for most trails- maybe not Devil's Backbone though. That place would shred the NNs quickly.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    po·co·cu·ran·te /ˌpoʊkoʊkʊˈrænti, -ˈrɑn-, -kyʊ-; It. ˌpɔkɔkuˈr- poh-koh-koo-ran-tee, -rahn-, -kyoo-; It. paw-kaw-koo-rahn-te] - /-ti/ adjective
    –noun
    1. a careless or indifferent person.
    –adjective
    2. caring little; indifferent; nonchalant.

[SIZE="1"](i'll have to try those bettys... haven't ran any of the schwalbes yet)[/SIZE]
    Winning word of the 2003 U.S. National Spelling Bee, baby! I'm trying to bring some culture to this place.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    The Bettys are probably the best tires for aggressive riding here but I do like the Minions a lot. I wish they slapped a UST bead on that tire though. In my old age, paranoia sets in and I hate converting tires anymore. The nice thing about the Minions is they are practically as airtight as a good UST tire. The three I like for Colorado are the Albert/Fat Albert, Minion 2.35, and the Betty, though I have not tried it yet- waiting for the UST version. They should also do the Nobby Nics in 2.4 UST. That would be a good one for most trails- maybe not Devil's Backbone though. That place would shred the NNs quickly.
    The Minion is an excellent tire, but the 2.35 folding version is too damn small. It's really about a 2.1. Maxxis tires are always well under the label claim with the exception of the 2.4 Advantage. The Advantage is an excellent tire for our conditions, but the side walls are wimpy. If Maxxis would make their 2.5 Minion DH tire as a UST compatible AM tire at about 900 grams, they'd sell like hotcakes...at least to me.

Michelin's 2.5 Xtreme UST is a great FR/AM tire that leans towards the burly. It's about 1000 grams, great traction & toughness for our conditions. My only dislikes about it is that it has a more round profile which I don't like in a front tire and it's freakin' grey with black sidewalls. Just make them black, please.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Another vote on the Kenda Sticky 2.6" stuff. Bought cheap. They're working very well out here in the new locale.

4 front, 4 rear. Shipped to me all up was about $52, thanks to a friendly tip.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    4 front, 4 rear. Shipped to me all up was about $52, thanks to a friendly tip.
    A tip you'd like to share?

skillz to pay billz
    I'm thinking about becoming a tire connoisseur

Ride Everything
    Just ordered the following from Universal:

1 pair Maxxis Ignitor (2.1")
    1 pair Michelin XC Mountain Dry 2 (2.15")

Now it's time to find some 26" Geax Saguaros...

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    A tip you'd like to share?

Kenda's website

trail waggler

Yeah, but they're out of the 2.6...

Quote Originally Posted by Whyteboy
    Kenda's website
    And now have a $100 minimum order.

Good ride today!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good ride today!!
    That was a good ride today!!! Hopefully tomorrow as well.

..ouch
    Another vote for the Betty's. I had just ordered a set of these this week after seeing how nice they looked on Renny's RFX and took my first ride on them today.. Very impressed, they have the nice grippy feel of a high volume tire but still move quick when turning the cranks.. Only one ride and I have a new favorite tire. The old WTB's are getting added to the 3 foot stack of neglected rubber sitting in the garage.

web_IMG_6658.JPG

Stand back
    Which WTB's were you using before? They (moto/ mutano/ weirwolf lt's) are my favorite trail tires, but I'd be up for experimenting, so long as they're not too spendy. What are a good price for the Betty's?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rolling

Good ride today!!

They were there about a week after you told me about em, then they were gone

trail waggler

Good thing that you didn't get any...

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    They were there about a week after you told me about em, then they were gone
    Err, tires that is. Betty would be jealous!

I gotta try some of those, they look nice! Those Bettys are bumpy in all the right places!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast