Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tire opinions.....yes, another one :)

So, I'm trying to narrow down my tire choices on my Yeti 575. I'll mainly be riding Front Range trails, so I would like something that works well here.
    The bike came stock with Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.20 (front/rear).
    I would like to upgrade the:
    -rear to a Kenda Small Block 2.35 DTC
    -front to a Bontrager Big Earl 2.35

The wheel set is a Hope Pro II/Mavic 819.

What do you think? Do you think this would be a good setup for the Front Range trails?

Thanks much
    Maintain internal heights.

hehe ...you said "member"
    go tubeless ... you'll thank yourself with uninterrupted rides!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    I have Mavic 819's, so they're tubeless ready. Will certainly be without tubes.

hehe ...you said "member"
    same rims - run the Maxis Ignitor 2.35 and find them to work well in many/all CO front range conditions.
    Yeah..yeah...yeah - ask 20 FR riders and you'll get 30 different opinions. I know. having run a number of different UST tires, I have found the biggest difference to be running tubeless vs. tubed. Wear/hookup seem more effected with being able to run lower pressures without pinching vs. the specific tire (but I am 6'7", 250 - grain of salt and all that).
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Yeah... except when they go flat.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Yeah... except when they go flat.
    Or burst while zipping down I-25 on the way to Pueblo. Of course, this is less likely to happen if you just run your bikes forward facing in the racks.

mtbr member
    Right now I have the Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.25 with snakebit. It is a good tire, light and rolls good but is terrible with any moisture. When I get new tires I want to try out the Maxxis ardent 2.4 and 2.25 on the rear.

Erik

still riding
    mountain king front
    ignitor rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrederland
    mountain king front
    ignitor rear
    I concur with this!
    I've got a 2.4 Mt. King up front and a 2.3 Ignitor in the rear and love em!

mtbr member
    Any thoughts/opinions on the Kenda Small block 2.35 for the rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Kenda El Moco 2.35. Why can't they make this in the DTC?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22
    Any thoughts/opinions on the Kenda Small block 2.35 for the rear?
    It's a great tire for a 3in travel XC racer or a DJ bike. It's only good on dirt roads and hardpack.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Or burst while zipping down I-25 on the way to Pueblo. Of course, this is less likely to happen if you just run your bikes forward facing in the racks.
    Or you realize you're still carrying tubes and a patch kit in your camelbak anyway!
    Catalina wine Mixer!

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    I've run the Big Earl 2.35 Tubeless tire a couple times, it works pretty well for Front Range stuff, is easy to mount up tubeless, measures a full 2.35" wide, and not too heavy for what it is. I think it's probably wise to put something that rolls faster in the rear, as it looks like you're planning on- even being dual compound, it still rolls slow and wears out fast in the rear.
    As far as grip, the Dry version works well in the dry and sucks horribly in the mud (imagine that). I've tried the 2.5 Wet compound on my DH bike, and it seems to be a better all-around version if you plan on riding in the wet.
    It's a "transition knob" tire, and has consistent grip at across the lean angle, which is nice, but overall doesn't have the ultimate grip of a tire with a nice open channel in the transition area.
    It does seem to like fairly low pressures, so try a few psi lower than normal.

Overall, if good consistent grip is your main goal, it is not a bad choice. The trade offs are rolling a little slow, faster wear, and not quite the ultimate grip of an open channel tire.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minions - tubeless setup

Hooks well to the ground. Excellent for steep and technical. Slow for fire roads and smooth/pedally trails, though.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

I heart the drops
    Continental rubber queen 2.4 ust front, 2.2 ust rear. Best trail setup in colorado
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am not a front range guy so feel free to disregard my opinion, but I have ridden in Colorado a few times and my normal terrain is nothing but knarly roots and rocks. One of the best all around tires I have even encountered (been running them for 8 years, despite trying countless others - I just keep coming back) is the Continental Gravity pro 2.3. It has excellent and predictable traction in all conditions except for deep mud (no 2.3 can perform in deep mud). It is avaible UST, and also in a PROtection sidewall version which is tough as nails. In my 8 years of riding them I have never had a puncture.

One thing I really love about this tire is that it combines the good features of several designs into one package. It has a raised and squared edge created by the side knobs, which allows the tire to bite into the ground when cornering. It has a more rounded center section, so the tire rolls very quickly (much faster than any other full sized knobbed 2.3 I have tried). It also has chunky, well spaced knobs so it grips just about everything.

Thats my $0.02

Continental Gravity PROtection Tire Black/Black DuraSkin Foldable 26 x 2.3

Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 front and back or front with an Explorer Pro in the back works great. My new Turner 5 Spot came with Kenda Neveigal 2.3 front and 2.1 rear. They work much better than the reviews suggest.
    Murph

Living the High Life
    I've run Maxxis Ardents, Advantage, Minion, High Rollers, Kenda Nevegals, Nokian Gazzalodis, Hutchinson Pythons, that's all I can think of right now. Varying sizes, 2.4, 2.35, 2.25, 2.10, 1.95.

My favorite combo has been Nevegal 2.35 front, 2.1 rear or High Rollers 2.35 F/R.

Its a toss up between rolling resistance, grip, weight and durability.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have been on a bike that had Big Earl's on them-- and honestly I hated them-- they were all over the place. Also I think the small block might be a little bit too small for the loose crap around here (but I have never been on them --- they do look awesome for a DJ though)

For the FR on a 575 (especially the new 575)-- I would go w/ a high roller front w/ something like a Larson TT on back. Minnon DHF’s are also always good (but I guess kinda slow rolling). I hate Nevegals on my DH bike but they work ok on a XC bike. Crossmark also kinda a cool tire for the rear.
    I have been hearing good things about the El Moco (Lopes used to have the maxis Bling Bling—the Moco is his Kenda design – and I have heard awesome things about the bling so I would venture to guess the moco will be good as well.)

Also beware the Maxxis UST ( I think they have thinner sidewalls—I blew out my sidewall first day out on Apex—just use stans)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    Continental rubber queen 2.4 ust front, 2.2 ust rear. Best trail setup in colorado

x2

The 2.4 is a $75 tire, on sale here for $37. I have a small stockpile of 2.4s. It's by far the best tire I've used for a trail bike, and I've been through a lot of tires.

http://www.bikebling.com/Continental...een-kevlar.htm

They have the USTs on sale too, but I don't do tubeless.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22
    I would like to upgrade the:
    -rear to a Kenda Small Block 2.35 DTC
    -front to a Bontrager Big Earl 2.35

What do you think? Do you think this would be a good setup for the Front Range trails?

Thanks much
    I think (this is my opinion) you'll be run off the trails by a mad fundamentalist mob when you try to slow down using the Small Block 2.35 DTC's. They'll have pitchforks waiting for you as you attempt to slow for the switchback when your rear breaks loose easier than expected.

With braking forces going forward toward the front tire, you'll want/need the extra traction in the back. Having something deep grooved tread will help keep you from braking loose in the backside. An XC buddy of mine (and jeffco volunteer ranger) uses treadless xc tires and pays for it when trying to slow at a higher rate of descent.

We all practice treadology on these forums... no one has the holy grail, but most of the aforementioned tires should do you good. I personally run the Minion DHF front AND Rear for better cornering. They stop well enough. That said, I've had the worst luck with Conti-vertical pro's and the most flats with Nevigals (Although their tread pattern is nice).

My Schwalb TableTops are FREEEKING Awesome, but not meant for hooking up in anything loose (think urban, DJ, etc).
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I personally run the Minion DHF front AND Rear for better cornering. They stop well enough. That said, I've had the worst luck with Conti-vertical pro's and the most flats with Nevigals (Although their tread pattern is nice).
    DHF ft and rear would be my choice if the rubber queens weren't around. They last about 1/2 as long as the rqs, roll slower and are easier to flat though.

I agree nevegals suck bawls... slow rolling, pinch flatting POS... They are super easy to pinch flat, even when they were brand new and I was running 45 psi they pinch flat before the bike even bottoms out.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I agree nevegals suck bawls... slow rolling, pinch flatting POS... They are super easy to pinch flat, even when they were brand new and I was running 45 psi they pinch flat before the bike even bottoms out.
    Fast and loose, stop plowing
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Fast and loose, stop plowing

You haven't rode with me in a few years, have you

Anyway, they pinch BEFORE the bike even bottoms. $hitty sidewalls. All other tires in existance are superior to the Nevegal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast