Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    giddy up

A time to reflect....

What was your first mountain bike and when/where did you start riding?

My first bike was a Nishiki Manitoba which I bought in 1990. My first ride was in Menomonie WI where I went to college and thats all it took. I remember that wearing a helmet was not cool so we would put them in our pack as we rode out of town and then take them off as we returned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A time to reflect....-nishiki.jpg  

Rub n Tiz'zug

Team Velveeta™

1988 Jamis Dakota

'88 Jamis Dakota, came with 6-speed Deore, biopace chainrings, chainstay-mounted rear u-brake, brake levers as big as a motorcycle's, a leather-covered padded saddle, and a shoulder strap bolted in at the top tube/seat tube junction. Purchased in Grand Junkyard from a shop that has been gone for at least 15 years.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Started out with the Huffy mtb in Durango- then got my first "real" mtn bike when i lived in Glenwood Springs- a Nishiki - Backroads

Bought it from "Skratch" at the bikes and boards shop there under the bridge.

not mine but looked like this:
    A time to reflect....-turk_nishiki.jpg

Then went to a Wheeler out of BC - (trek may have bought wheeler.)
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    '88 Jamis Dakota, came with 6-speed Deore, biopace chainrings, chainstay-mounted rear u-brake, brake levers as big as a motorcycle's, a leather-covered padded saddle, and a shoulder strap bolted in at the top tube/seat tube junction.
    LOL - reminds me of my first bike, an '88 Diamond Back Ascent purchased new from Fernandez BMX & 10 Speed in Salinas CA (no idea if they are still around). Had the same funky biopace rings and rear u-brake (which loved to pack up with mud).

http://www.bikeman.com/images/bikema...1988pg6-7B.jpg

I rode the hell out of that thing a few summers in CA, then was my only transportation for quite a few years during college and beyond in TX.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Giant ATX-760. 1991-ish?

1st off-road ride would have been some local thing around Kalamazoo, MI - don't even remember where it was...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Specialized Rockhopper. Red. Back in a previous century. Got it stolen in Boulder, replaced it with another Rockhopper, this time a yellow one. Innocent times.

edit: sold the yellow Rockhopper to a buddy and got a Bridgestone MB-2. I remember paying $800 cash money to a shop in Lafayette for it. Rode it (and almost killed myself on it in Crested Butte) till I let a neighbor kid take it for a spin around the 'hood. He plowed it smack into a concrete wall.

Replaced it with a Spec MB2 hardtail (with my first suspension fork, a Manitou something or other). Interestingly enough, I still have the bike (frame only now) I replaced that MB2 with in 1998, a Schwinn Homegrown FS (isolated triangle). And so my FS life began.
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    My first MTB was a Mongoose Ultra Storm When I was a kid. My first FS was a Pro-flex 755. Colorado Springs, CO. It was mostly build jump and playing in the fields that used to be where my parents live. Other than that it was Palmer Park!
    Last edited by Funrover; 01-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Team Velveeta™

College transport THEN road the hell out of

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    LOL - reminds me of my first bike, an '88 Diamond Back purchased new from Fernandez BMX & 10 Speed in Salinas CA (no idea if they are still around). Had the same funky biopace rings and rear u-brake (which loved to pack up with mud).

http://www.bikeman.com/images/bikema...1988pg6-7B.jpg

I rode the hell out of that thing a few summers in CA, then was my only transportation for quite a few years during college and beyond in TX.
    My experience was kind of the reverse, I had mine for 2.5 months that I remained in GJ before moving--rode it quite a bit offroad but I was a total newb and didn't find much. I usually rode it on the canal paths, or over in the junk-filled ravine across the road from today's lunch loops parking lot (now a golf course I think). And I did manage to once find and ride Pollack's Bench just across the river from Fruita to the west of the National Monument (bicycles prohibited starting sometime in the early 90's I think). That was a week or two before I moved to Greality to go the UNC for two years. There it was my collidge boy bike.

I rode the hell out of mine after I graduated and moved to Denver's south suburbs in 90.

Oh, I lived in Colo Springs all through the summer of 90 while trying to land a job--rode it daily in the triangle between Pulpit Rock, UCCS, and the Academy Blvd Strip-mall-o-plex. Another former junk-filled open space now developed for the gentry.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    1st "real" mtb I rode was my college roommates Nishiki something (it was yellow and had a lot of gears that's all I remember) '86 @ San Marcos, TX

endo
    Nov 2011
    Mowed neighbors lawns for a year in middle school to buy my first bike, a yellow schwinn mesa. All I really cared about was that it had a "shock". My parents lived in Ken Caryl Valley so I would ride Coyote Song and Cathy Johnson at least once a week. Truthfully, it's been the most reliable and hardy bike that I've ever owned, I rode it until college, then my dad rode it, and its still in use today, over 15 years later by my brother.
    That bike has been through hell, left outside in the rain, dropped, crashed, jumped, unmaintained (until recently), and yet it still works flawlessly with only a replaced right side shifter and tires.

For kicks I took that bike out onto Dakota this fall and, despite my sore wrists from the lack of suspension, the bike did great. Did get a few snickers from some groups of riders on the way, though it was hard to hear them over the bob of the kickstand bouncing up and down as I was going over the terrain. :X Next time I'll put cards in the spokes to completely drown them out.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I got my first "mountain bike" when I was 9 or 10. My father swapped out some gears and slammed a three-speed hub into my BMX bike. I rode that thing around the trails inJasper National Park. It probably weighed 40 pounds--but the entire frame was chrome plated, so it was really fast.

My wife and I got our first real mountain bikes, 1993 Bridgestone MB-4s, in Grand Junction. We rode them all over the Grand Valley, and then we published a mountain-biking guidebook (River City Rides). I then briefly got a job at a bike shop in GJ, where I bought a 1994 Cannondale Delta V 700--which I rode to a successful completion of the Colorado Trail Race in 2010. Not one mechanical the whole damn ride!

Last year I bought a 2011 Cannondale RZ 120-1. Not chrome, so it's not as fast as my first bike--but it is fun.

mtbr member
    A light blue1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, purchased at Criterium bike shop, downtown CS. Rode it everywhere. Gees I'm getting old.

mtbr member
    90 Rockhopper comp, I paid $369 for it and all my friends thought I was the biggest idiot for spending that kind of cash on a bike. 1st ride was at Stone Mountain Park in GA.

I wouldn't own a Speshy now if you paid me.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    My First was a 89 Mongoose IBOC Sport !! Here is a Pic not a great one since this is over 20 years ago !! BTW we use to run Panaracer Smokes F/R back in that day !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A time to reflect....-imag0310.jpg  

Last edited by YETI_Chris; 01-09-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After renting a bike in Winter Park almost every weekend the summer of 1987. I bought a shinny blue and chrome Schwinn Sierra to start the summer of '88. It was awesome, lots a gears, Bio-Pace, Shimano, rear brake mounted under the chain stays and a psychedelic spandex seat cover thingy that I could change depending on my mood. Upgraded it with toe clips and Farmer John's and rode it until 1996.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    My First was a 99 Mongoose IBOC Sport !! Here is a Pic not a great one since this is over 20 years ago
    you get an F in Math

or since you posted an '89 IBOC an F in History

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie View Post
    What was your first mountain bike and when/where did you start riding?
    1986 Schwinn Sierra, ridden in the Santa Ana's in SoCal. The trails were really nice, narrow and uncrowded back then.

TomP, the shop you are referring to in GJ closed down in 1994, right before I moved there in early 1995. The last day Pollock's Bench was open to bicycles was July 30, 2000.
    I have a bunch of 8mm video taken the last day it was open. Maybe some day it'll make it to yewtewb.

Ride Everything
    Specialized StumpJumper Sport purchased in 82 or 83 (I can't remember). Most riding took place in Shell Ridge, with occasional trips to Briones (East Bay, SF Bay Area).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Team Velveeta™

Pollock Bench

Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    ... The last day Pollock's Bench was open to bicycles was July 30, 2000.
    I have a bunch of 8mm video taken the last day it was open. Maybe some day it'll make it to yewtewb.
    My Pollock Bench ride is a vivid memory. It was pivotal in several ways.

I had been living in GJ since December '86. For much of that time I did not really appreciate it, but I wasn't a terribly happy person at that point in my young life. Getting back on bikes turned me around, and then getting onto dirt accelerated that.

I remember reading about Pollock in the paper. I went out there with my toe clips and hiking boots, probably wearing t-shirt and some daisy duke style cut-offs and tube socks with red stripes at the top. I did probably have some string-back fingerless gloves, since I came from a long roadie background. I never bought a helmet until maybe 4 years later.

I was a bartender at the time, usually working until 2:30-4am cleaning up. So I rarely rolled out of the sack until 10 or so. I hit Pollock at maybe noon on a weekday in early August. It was warm. Like, really really warm.

I remember now after, what, almost 24 years? Riding up series' of sandstone stairsteps. How many times have I done that in the years since, riding up slabs of sandstone; or down them? Picking lines that would let me clean them. Riding along a cliff edge...

Getting way up in there and sitting on a rock sweating profusely and drinking water from a Nalgene carried up there in a crappy Jansport backpack. It was silent. I heard a bird twittering and looked around and it must have been 150 feet away. It was that quiet. And hot.

Suddenly I realized that I loved the desert. I was already enrolled in school in Greeley and the plans had been laid to move from this place that I had not really liked. Now I felt a passion for it that I still have today. The desert of western CO, of Utah, of Arizona...

And mountain biking. It was now, suddenly, not just a novelty. It was a passion. I was 22 years old and I think that during that ride I became A Mountain Biker.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    My Pollock Bench ride is a vivid memory. It was pivotal in several ways.

I had been living in GJ since December '86. For much of that time I did not really appreciate it, but I wasn't a terribly happy person at that point in my young life. Getting back on bikes turned me around, and then getting onto dirt accelerated that.

I remember reading about Pollock in the paper. I went out there with my toe clips and hiking boots, probably wearing t-shirt and some daisy duke style cut-offs and tube socks with red stripes at the top. I did probably have some string-back fingerless gloves, since I came from a long roadie background. I never bought a helmet until maybe 4 years later.

I was a bartender at the time, usually working until 2:30-4am cleaning up. So I rarely rolled out of the sack until 10 or so. I hit Pollock at maybe noon on a weekday in early August. It was warm. Like, really really warm.

I remember now after, what, almost 24 years? Riding up series' of sandstone stairsteps. How many times have I done that in the years since, riding up slabs of sandstone; or down them? Picking lines that would let me clean them. Riding along a cliff edge...

Getting way up in there and sitting on a rock sweating profusely and drinking water from a Nalgene carried up there in a crappy Jansport backpack. It was silent. I heard a bird twittering and looked around and it must have been 150 feet away. It was that quiet. And hot.

Suddenly I realized that I loved the desert. I was already enrolled in school in Greeley and the plans had been laid to move from this place that I had not really liked. Now I felt a passion for it that I still have today. The desert of western CO, of Utah, of Arizona...

And mountain biking. It was now, suddenly, not just a novelty. It was a passion. I was 22 years old and I think that during that ride I became A Mountain Biker.
    Great story. Reminds me of a few key rides I had back in the day.

Pollack is a cool place. After breaking my arm in May '10, I was in Fruita for the annual camping/riding trip that October. My arm wasn't strong enough enough for back to back days of riding, so I researched some hikes and decided to check out the Pollack loop. Very cool area, with some different views of the Colorado River and Rattlesnake area that I hadn't expected. Is it a special enough place to warrant the closure? I can't imagine why.

That hike sure was nice though. It's the only time I've done anything other than ride out there, so I'm glad I did it.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "That hike sure was nice though. It's the only time I've done anything other than ride out there, so I'm glad I did it."

Hiking can give its own cool perspective on trails we take for granted while in the saddle. The problem is all those hikers out there who have no idea of a biker perspective!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I see K Chick is still posting here. Is he still talking the same relentless ***** as ever? He's been on my Ignore List for a few months now and I can tell you it's been a real relief.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Golden Circa 1990

I was very fortunate to grow up here in Golden and started transitioning from BMX to MTB around 1990. I was really into BMX (anyone remember the Lip Lords?) and moto but then I started working for JCOS in their summer youth program at 15. That introduced me to all the trails that surrounded me in Golden so I begged my parents for an MTB.

They got me a GT Timberline which quickly incurred a bent fork among other issues. They could tell I was really into it and needed something a bit more substantial and they helped me get a GT Zaskar from Westside of course. It was also getting harder to moto anywhere close so it made sense. (I used to ride with my Dad in the fields off of Hwy 93...where all the homes are now.)

But I digress. Ka-ching! The Zaskar was awesome. I had to add the Manitou fork a few months later (no bikes came with suspension then...major upgrade) and that was about as great as it got. My buddy and I would go to White Ranch on the weekends and we were a novelty to any hikers we encountered. It seemed like such a big adventure back then. We'd go down Longhorn and there was no connector then (or huge houses) so it felt like we were so far out there. Rawhide was REALLY out there and it was just a big adventure for us.

Anyway, I had a few Zaskars all through the 90's and anodized them to the max (Ringle & Onza goods) with purple accessories and obligatory Onza stickers. I raced a bit in the old Norba series races around CO and then got into trials...mod and stock.

Anyway, good fun reminiscing. Still kicking and enjoying the more aggressive trail-riding side of things now. It's fun to look back and see how things have changed.

Looking at the pic I have posted I admit...I still think anodization is cool. Glad to ditch the spandex though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A time to reflect....-1990-zaskar.jpg  

Last edited by GL1; 01-09-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Post Pic with it...again

pdh
    mtbr member
    A 91 Mongoose IBOC Pro Fort Collins. Rode it back and forth from work, then on the trails for fun. Simple times! No car, no real bills, no real obligations......
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    88ish? GT Outpost (I was going to buy a bike from Sears!!), runnin' Tioga (?) Farmer John's, ODI Mushroom grips (with the sticker upside down so it said, "IDO Mushrooms"... so heady at such a young age) & a gel saddle. Rode it to the bar and back in western PA.

Visited my brother who was going to CSU and he blew my f-ing mind with Young's and Hewlett's followed by ice cooled bombers of New Belgium (man it was goood back in the day!). Went back to PA, told my live in g-friend I was headed west with or without her... the rest is jugdish history!

Ahhh, good times, good times.

BTW I had friends who thought I was insane to drop that type of coin on a bike as well. What $350 or so?! I wish I could get off that cheap now.

*now that I think about it that bike never made it out here, was on a trek by then. timeline off.
    Last edited by jugdish; 01-09-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast