Higher Exploration

Thoughts for best snow tires?

I just recently got a set of UST Kenda Small Block 8's in the 2.1 size, and holy cow do they rock in the snow. Fairly light too at ~800g. The smaller 1.9's are probably even better.

Any other suggestions on a light weight snow/ice tire? I've seen some spiked mtb tires, but that seems like it would add too much weight.

BTW, totally off topic but since this is the front range forum, I'd like to mention that I just got a sky chair and its totally worth the $100. Way better than a hammock. They're based in Boulder/Denver, so buy one and support your local economy!!

mtbr member
    This Topic has been posted all ready here ( Snow tires for Front Range? ) . Hope this helps!!!!

I can't ride 45!
    Just want to chime in here and agree that the small block 8's are a great snow tire. I have the 2.3's and while I am not overjoyed with them in the mixed front range terrain, on snow they rock!

OMG!
    i took a michelin dh24 and drilled 1/2" sheet metal screws through the shoulder lugs.
    pros
    it seems to work pretty well. rolls fine because the screws only contact the ground in turns. cheap.
    cons
    heavy, very heavy

Higher Exploration
    Does anyone know of a ski area with a winter time bike park? That would be so fun, just like the x-games version