mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thoughts on ASR-5?

How are people liking thier ASR-5s for the Front Range? Specifically, are they holding up as well as the 575s when ridden places like Apex, Bergen, White Ranch, etc? I was leaning to get a heavier burly bike, but don't really need the extra weight if the ASR5s can take normal abuse dished out by the local trails.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Come on, man... we used to ride all these trails on rigid bikes. Some nuts still do. The ASR will be fine... as long as you don't mind the abuse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Correct, did use to ride on fully rigid bikes and they never broke. But the last time I mad the "light" choice I got burned. Trying to be a little more informed this time.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    Correct, did use to ride on fully rigid bikes and they never broke. But the last time I mad the "light" choice I got burned. Trying to be a little more informed this time.
    Heh. Do tell... Ellsworth?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Psshhh....I ride those trails with a fixed gear fully rigid single speed 29er with drop bars and road bike tires. I don't need no suspension.

mtbr member
    The ASR-5 will be fine. Its not a fragile bike. What I would pay attention to is what kind of geometry you want and how much suspension you want to accommodate the type of riding you do most frequently, as well as what you want to spend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Heh. Do tell... Ellsworth?
    GF. Great ride and great warranty but not the best choice for a 200+lb guy. Being heavy I tend to get swayed to the lighter bikes to help me get up the hill, but reality is I need to think about durability more. I'll never be a 170lb rider again and being old (mid 40s) I don't care to spend my twilight years riding with worry about breaking anything other than myself. Choices at the shop I will buy from are the two Yetis and Trek Remedy.

mtbr member
    I <3 my 5.

I am a tad over 200 (30lbs < tad < 40lbs) and have only bent DR hanger a few times and cracked a pulley in the past 14 months. I tend to go down more often then I should and the rest of the bike is problem free. My drops are limited to the 1'-2' you find often along the front range and I stay away from the resorts/Dh scene.

mtbr member
    I think the OP should look into an SB-66. I demoed one and it climbed and descended great. Seemed like a great bike and a bit more AM then the ASR-5.