mtbr member

Thinking of Angel Fire over Labor Day

And I have a few questions. I have never been there so I am looking for opinions and advice.

1) It is worth it? The real reason I am planning the trip is that the Stone will be closed due to the Climax races. So my alternatives seem to be Angel Fire and Sol Vista. Never been to either... What do you think?

2) Any idea on prices? How much is a day pass? Are there any little secrets like the 2 for 1 deal at Keystone? Did check their web site (if I got the right one)... found nothing!

3) Camping for low budget? Where to stay and how to make it very affordable? Please share your hints.

And if anybody plans to go there at the same days... maybe we can sync-up.

Thanks

Klaus

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    And I have a few questions. I have never been there so I am looking for opinions and advice.

1) It is worth it? The real reason I am planning the trip is that the Stone will be closed due to the Climax races. So my alternatives seem to be Angel Fire and Sol Vista. Never been to either... What do you think?

2) Any idea on prices? How much is a day pass? Are there any little secrets like the 2 for 1 deal at Keystone? Did check their web site (if I got the right one)... found nothing!

3) Camping for low budget? Where to stay and how to make it very affordable? Please share your hints.

And if anybody plans to go there at the same days... maybe we can sync-up.

Thanks

Klaus
    1) YES it is worth it! (although Sol Vista is very cool too). Up until the addition of Jam Rock, Angelfire had the most technical lift serviced riding in the Rockies. They have also added a faster DH trail for the World Cup last year and even the "XC" course is fun to ride on a big bike.

2) No idea--I haven't ridden there in two years since I didn't ride last year (during the World Cup).

3) If you continue down the road to Taos from Angelfire there are three non-reservable National Forest campgrounds about 30 minutes away from the resort. I have never seen them full, but I've never been there on Labor Day either. They are very close to the highway, so I would recommend ear plugs. I have also free camped (years ago) right near the base of the mountain on a road cut to build near-slope houses. There used to be several lots up there but no houses. It might be worth a look at least.

BTW, the Gasp'n in the Aspens gathering is September 14th through the 16th and they were planning a day at Angelfire. I will be riding/camping down there on the 14th-16th if you were interested in possibly postponing your Labor Day festivities (or double dipping at Angelfire).
    Last edited by kristian; 08-14-2007 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If I remember correctly,Angel Fire is private land. That means no Forest Service policies. They have gotten into the downhilling quite well in the last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It's worth it. I just got back and it ws tons of fun. It was eerie how empty it was though because everyone was up at blast the mass. It was literally three riders on the mountain. My only complaint is that they close the lift if theres even a hint or rain or lightining. But you can take residential roads to within a block of the top of the the trails if you've got a shuttle lined up and they close the lift. Check out the Coyote Creek State park for camping about twenty minutes south of Angel fire.

Whats this about Keystone being closed over Labor Day though?? I was planning a trip up there but may do AF instead if its not open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Edit: Lift tickets are thirty bucks for all day.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by patch-rik
    Whats this about Keystone being closed over Labor Day though?? I was planning a trip up there but may do AF instead if its not open.
    Labor Day weekend is the Mtn States Cup finals at Keystone so unless you're racing, it's not open.

BTW, Keystone is fanatical about closing the lifts in bad weather too--it's a liability thing.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian

BTW, the Gasp'n in the Aspens gathering is September 14th through the 16th and they were planning a day at Angelfire. I will be riding/camping down there on the 14th-16th if you were interested in possibly postponing your Labor Day festivities (or double dipping at Angelfire).
    GITA is that weekend, but it does not look like Anglefire is open past 9/3/07 so I withdraw my invite to ride down there on 9/15/07...

DenverDH'er
    http://keystone.snow.com/calendar.event.asp?eventid=65

https://www.sportsbaseonline.com/Item.aspx?id=1532

I race it every year but it sucks because the DH race is ALWAYS on Monday, then you gotta fight freaking Labor Day traffic back to Denver.