Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005

Thinking about trying a Super D

Which Super D race should I enter this summer, for my first one? Which one is worth the $20-30 entry fee? What format should I look for, time trial or LeMans? Suggestions?

feel the Force
    Angel Fire.

Living the High Life
    If you live in Denver, Sol Vista is going to be the closest. Are you planning to be at a race the whole weekend, or just the day of the Super-D?

Thread Terrorist
    Where do you think your skills are?

Super-D was supposed to be the all encompassing bike race. Its not. They pick the lamest Downhill (your mom could do it), and most of the time require a Lemans start (who the hell run's to their bike?). If you aren't a fast sprinter, you won't enjoy it (ie, be in the back with a dust coud).

Also, all the XCers bring all the bad attitude. with lots of places NOT being able to pass, the ant-pass-ass comes out of these guys.

The people who win this are XC racers that know how to do DH. I was hoping for a Hard-ass DH with a nice climb somewhere in the middle. I vowed never to do one of these formats ever again.

the Crested Butte Sd is for XC type. Keystone SD is for the more DH oriented. What do you think you're strongest at?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Winter Park will have 2 this year, on the same course used at the CrankWorx Super D last year. This is an excellent course, not lame like the others. I'm a sport XC rider and I think my time was about 17 minutes. The pros were in the 13s if I remember right. There is a long climb at the start, and lots of pedaling the rest of the way. I was fried at the end. It was a very very fun race. Yeah, the LeMans start is kind of bogus, but everything else was great.

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005

I am looking to do just the SD

Drive up from denver, race, then do some trail riding. WP sounds good. I think i would do better on a DH oriented course.
    Do racers pad up at Keystone for the SD? I can't think of anything at WP that you would need pads for, but may just in case you blow through a tight corner.